Menu

Math

Mtngrace

Has anyone used math u see? Our co-op provides us the choice of math u see, teaching textbooks, and Singapore. My daughter was in a charter school and did Singapore but I tried to help her the other day and she didn't really know it well at all. I don't think she learned much in her first grade math class last year. I struggle with trying to explain math at all so I don't know if Singapore is best since the second grade seems a bit much. Any other math you recommend? We want to use teaching textbooks but it doesn't start until 3rd grade.

If you struggle with explaining math, then I think Math U See would be a better fit than Singapore.  In Math U See, there is a video, where the teacher explains the concepts.  It is meant to be for the teacher, but I always let my kids watch it.  I do prefer Teaching Textbooks though.  If your daughter is in grade 2, she still might be able to do Teaching Textbooks level 3.  We use Teaching Textbooks on grade level, but many people use it a ahead.  You could go to the Teaching Textbooks website and have her do the placement test for level 3.  

We really enjoy math u see. From what i can tell from the placement test for teaching textbooks 3 is the only thing he would have trouble with after we finish MUS Beta is the multiplication. with the way they are scoring the placement test though he would easily place into teaching textbooks 3.

I can do whatever I want but we were trying to use the math they gave us. The coop is only one day a week and they don't do math. I looked at the teaching textbooks placement test but I don't think she could do some of it. She was in charter school last year and did singapore 1 math and she didn't grasp any of it. I did a placement test for her from Singapore 1a and she made a 70 on it and was frustrated.

There's another thread about delaying Singapore 1A for awhile, and I tend to agree with that.  Singapore is a challenging math curriculum and if a student does not have a good (or quick to absorb) concept of number sense, they can struggle with it.  That said...if you push through those struggles, Singapore is excellent.  

I use MUS as my primary math with my oldest kiddo.  She has some significant learning disabilities and MUS' slow, incremental approach works for her.  I have used MUS with my youngest two boys as a springboard, to establish basic addition and subtraction procedures while we worked on deeper math concepts such as number composition/decomposition...number order, place value, etc.  MUS does cover place value and number composition/decomposition but I have found that it can take a pretty good amount of time for a student to fully grasp and master those concepts.  But there is no reason they can't also be learning how to add and subtract while they are still mastering number sense.  

Singapore also covers place value and number composition, but it moves a bit too quickly in the first level, imo.  

Anyways, my youngest boys will be picking up Singapore 1A this fall.  The 7 yr old attempted it last year and it was a flop, but after a year of MUS, I think he's ready.  The 6 yr old has been working MUS since last spring...and I think he's ready for 1A.  

I guess if I had to choose in your situation...I would probably start with MUS for now.  And switch to Singapore down the road.