Menu

Want to help with a fun poll?

Audrey

This is a discussion at our house.  Without reading ANY other posters' answers, what is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the words "immigrant song?"

1. Led Zeppelin. (This, to me, is the "right" answer.)

2. Clandestino by Mano Chao. (This is my personal "immigrant love song" answer, but I would only put it up if Led Zeppelin weren't the answer.)

• Like 3

First thing in my head, "Gotta ask my kids, what's 'Immigrant song?' But I should know this. It sounds familiar. Dang, stupid brain farts, this like earlier today when I wasn't able to recall the name of the movie, The Big Chill, but could tell dd each actor in it and what great songs it was but the name completely escapes. Immigrant Song? I should know this..."

OH! BOB MARLEY!

Right?

I love Bob Marley.

note to self, when people ask, "what's the first thing that comes to your mind," don't ramble on every single thought that actually comes to your mind. sigh

• Like 2

note to self, when people ask, "what's the first thing that comes to your mind," don't ramble on every single thought that actually comes to your mind. sigh

I don't know. I think people asking "what's the first thing that comes to your mind" only ask when they're in the mood for some rambling.

• Like 8

Clandestino

Sorry for the live performance, but it was the only one I could find with English subtitles/lyrics.

I also think of African lullabys for some reason. 

PS...we listen to Bob Marley in the car a lot, but it isn't what first popped into my head. 

• Like 2

Led Zeppelin. 

Viking kitties second. It was one of the first things I ever saw on the internet. Cats on a boat with the Immigrant Song playing.

Oh well you have introduced me to a new corner of the Internet. Well done and thank you!

Edit: have now watched this about four times. LOL Valhalla I am coming... MEOW!

• Like 4

the very first thing.  (and 2nd and 3rd . . . )

:confused1:  

is this a reference to something specific? 'cause I haven't got a clue.

Yes and no.  My son insists there is a universal response to that phrase.  I maintain it will get varied responses depending on who you ask.   So far, I am right, but I'm just the old mom, you know. ;)

ETA:  A couple of people so far have given the answer my son would give.

• Like 2

I'm gathering from the other replies that your son probably wants the Led Zeppelin response but I'm afraid that the only song I think of for Led Zeppelin is "Stairway to Heaven".  They were not one of the groups that I spent any time listening to.  I was much more likely to listen to people like Harry Belafonte, who was not an immigrant but was the son of an immigrant. ;)  Well, that and Santana who truly is an immigrant.  

• Like 3

I'm gathering from the other replies that your son probably wants the Led Zeppelin response but I'm afraid that the only song I think of for Led Zeppelin is "Stairway to Heaven".  They were not one of the groups that I spent any time listening to.  I was much more likely to listen to people like Harry Belafonte, who was not an immigrant but was the son of an immigrant. ;)  Well, that and Santana who truly is an immigrant.  

Bingo, Jean!  Yes.  This is a song he knows very well.  I used to sing him a very stylized slowed down version of it to him when he was a wee babe (I did that with a lot of songs).  It's also one of the songs we play a lot as a family (son plays bass and just loves that bass line).  He thinks it's a universally known thing and that everyone everywhere would just think of Led Zeppelin.  I told him that's not even close to true and that if you asked 20 random people, maybe 5 of them would think of Led Zeppelin first.   I was pretty sure I would be right, but I was curious to see for sure.  :)

I agree with your son, Audrey. The song is a masterpiece and I have no idea where Bob Marley came from in this poll.... My kids know the Zeppelin version. :)

Bingo, Jean! Yes. This is a song he knows very well. I used to sing him a very stylized slowed down version of it to him when he was a wee babe (I did that with a lot of songs). It's also one of the songs we play a lot as a family (son plays bass and just loves that bass line). He thinks it's a universally known thing and that everyone everywhere would just think of Led Zeppelin. I told him that's not even close to true and that if you asked 20 random people, maybe 5 of them would think of Led Zeppelin first. I was pretty sure I would be right, but I was curious to see for sure. :)

• Like 2

I can't find anything about Bob Marley. I have no idea what people are referring to when they say he comes to mind. I know the Neil Diamond song, but I suppose the specific words "immigrant song" are what bring Led Zeppelin to mind. That's the title of their song so that's what I think of when I hear it.

And now I can't get the sound of that great guitar riff and Robert Plant's wailing out of my head. I suspect I'll have this earworm for hours. ;)

• Like 3

I asked DH and he immediately said Led Zeppelin.  Then he promptly played it for me.  :)  Once he did that I recognized the song, but I thought it was a Heart song.  I didn't know it was remade.  Learned something new today.  It was also used in Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

• Like 2