Menu

I made a mistake with DD's biology plans - please help me fix it!

I went too lightweight. I created a quasi-biology from a Life Science program, McHenry's "Cells", and a ton of literature, because I felt she couldn't handle the reading necessary in a more rigorous program. (DD is dyslexic/2E)

She isn't happy. She doesn't care if she takes two years to complete the book, or if she has to double up on her time dedicated to science this upcoming fall to make concessions for her reading stamina, but she doesn't want lightweight - especially since she is looking toward pre-med/medicine eventually.

She's only in 9th grade, and I thought she had more time to get more rigorous courses under her belt, but I definitely do not want her to feel like we don't believe she's capable - she is, and what's more, she's passionate about this. 

She wants heavy on the Bio, Anatomy, and Chemistry throughout high school (honestly, her passions and interest are a toss between chemistry and anatomy/biology - I can't say which she's more interested in). If she has it her way, she'd like to skip physics (I don't think engineer DH will agree to that, though, but she may just take it in college instead?)

I don't know what to use, though. She doesn't do well at all with online courses. Labs aren't a problem (one of DH's degrees is Biology related, and he's more than happy to take on the labs with her - but he has no suggestions for texts and actual programs, as he is so long removed from the Bio textbook scene). 

We are using the Miller-Levine Macaw book. It seems pretty solid to me. You can buy the book for an iPa for $15 for the iTunes store. I think we will get a hard copy of the text, but I vastly prefer the on-line version. It has clean pages with lots of white space. (I can compare because I have the TM, so I see what the student pages look like) I have no idea what your budget looks like, but I am throwing out that option because you can look through the book for a pretty reasonable price. 

I am pretty sure Kolbe offers a syllabus for the Macaw book, but I have not seen them. There a lot of free resources for the older Miller-Levine Dragonfly book readily available. I looked around online to see what texts were being used among the various online providers. It seems Holt was another textbook I saw used with some regularity (I am pretty certain both WTA and Blue Tent are using it). 

Your planning still may come in handy. You may be able to include some it to help flesh out whatever resource you choose. 

• Like 1

There is an iPad version of Miller Levine Biology. I believe it will read the text to you if you have an iPad.

We bought the book new from the publisher and got the free online access then ds read the online version, dd let it read itself to her. It highlights sentence by sentence as it reads. 

• Like 1

We used Essential Biology this past year, which was truly excellent.  I read it aloud, even though my son reads at a college level (my older son is dyslexic, which is how I learned about the wonders of reading aloud).  

The benefits of reading aloud (even textbooks) go well beyond compensating for reading issues.  It allows you to gauge understanding and engage in spontaneous discussion.  It also facilitates learning (or relearning) the material yourself.  I know I always have trouble keeping up with reading if I am not reading it aloud. 

• Like 1

My DS didn't like my first choice.  So then I chose the MIT lectures available online, but I feel they are too difficult for him.  So I bought the companion textbook.  It is a college textbook and some of the language is a little difficult for him, plus it is nearly 1000 pages long.  So... I went ahead and bought the online supports for the book and now I'm doing the text reading, making some assignments to him from the matching e-text and using the support exercises plus Discovery Education, Netflix and Great Courses videos.  I may use the MIT lectures now and then and also my first choice lectures now as well when the match with the textbook.  Bottom line, despite my best efforts to avoid it, I am going to have to study biology right along with DS.  :crying:

• Like 1

MomatHWTK, maybe there's a Coursera or Edx course that would fit better than the MIT offerings... I think Edx has some high school level sciences.

Aimee, I would not recommend skipping physics in high school, especially if your student is interested in pursuing any science field, even bio. Everything is physics based when you get down to the nitty-gritty. At least a basic high school level course will be expected from colleges, and will help your daughter in the more advanced chem classes she will end up taking eventually. I am enjoying Coursera's "How Things Work" from UVa right now. It has been a fun intro for me. :)

• Like 4

I'll throw biozone workbooks out there, too. They are just black and white workbooks, so you'll want to add labs, documentaries, and other variety. But, because there's only a page or two of reading with each workbook activity, you don't need a ton of reading stamina. There are preview pages on the website to see if the layout and font work for you.

I wouldn't recommend skipping physics. My dd13 wants to major in Zoology, and the schools we have looked at STRONGLY recommend a good high school physics course under a student's belt. My dd21 majors in Biology and, again, it was important to have had high school physics.

DD13 will take bio next year. I did a ton of looking for honors bio syllabi and online student resources. I found multiple high schools that put up all the worksheets, quizzes, labs, and other materials for the honors classes. I would recommend searching for something like that so that you know you are truly giving her a rigorous course. I ended up choosing a site that has a Regents honors bio syllabus.

I LOVED the Miller Levine Dragonfly book (it isn't called that, but that's what's on the cover).  It is used for many honors level classes, is very well written, etc.

Disclaimer!!!  I have a set of them on sale on the resale boards here.  I do absolutely love them, but don't want you to think I'm just trying to sell my set, lol.

We are using the Miller-Levine Macaw book. It seems pretty solid to me. You can buy the book for an iPa for $15 for the iTunes store. I think we will get a hard copy of the text, but I vastly prefer the on-line version. It has clean pages with lots of white space. (I can compare because I have the TM, so I see what the student pages look like) I have no idea what your budget looks like, but I am throwing out that option because you can look through the book for a pretty reasonable price. 

I am pretty sure Kolbe offers a syllabus for the Macaw book, but I have not seen them. There a lot of free resources for the older Miller-Levine Dragonfly book readily available. I looked around online to see what texts were being used among the various online providers. It seems Holt was another textbook I saw used with some regularity (I am pretty certain both WTA and Blue Tent are using it). 

Your planning still may come in handy. You may be able to include some it to help flesh out whatever resource you choose. 

exactly what I was going to suggest, and what we'll be doing for my dyslexic child in the future. I've only seen a sample of the book for ipad but we are really looking forward to using it.