Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eagle

Couch to 5k: August 2-8

C25k: August 2-8  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Workouts completed:

It's a new week! Let's hear about the progress everyone is making. For those on track with the original program, it's the final week -- week 9. Congratulations to everyone for keeping at it, no matter which week you are on now!

Reminder: To do the poll, fill in the first workout when you do 1 run. When you do your subsequent runs you need to delete your vote and then you can vote for multiple options (for example, you can select BOTH Workout 1 and Workout 2).

Eagle, I'm so sorry to hear that your ankle is hurting again! Yeah, pavement is brutal. I walk on pavement for my warmup, but then I'm on dirt trails for my actual run. When we chose this house, my husband's #1 criterion was that it had to be within easy walking distance of this particular open space area. It didn't mean that much to me at the time, but now I'm glad that he was so insistent! Trails through a forest sound so nice! I'm not in forest, but desert. Are you worried about wild animals, or about being isolated, or . . . ? It can be a little nerve-wracking to do it alone. The open space area where I run is still surrounded by city on three sides! It's not isolated at all. That has advantages and disadvantages. I don't worry about wild animals, but human animals can be a problem. A woman was brutally attacked there a few months ago. I don't think they ever caught the guy. :-(

I walked my running route this week, and my ankle felt just fine doing that. I'm going to TRY running again tomorrow, though I'm not sure if it's too soon. I was thinking that instead of jumping back into Week 6 (which is when I got hurt) I would start over with Week 1, but work through the weeks faster this time. We'll see. I think I'll just have to play it by ear.

I see a lot of jackrabbits, roadrunners, and quail where I run. This week I got to see a coyote. :) I've seen them in the distance many times, but this one was only about 15 or 20 feet away, and was quite startled to see me!

My main concern is people. I live in a suburb-type area with a lot of public land, including large areas of forest. There are great trails, which are used by a lot of people, but at any given time may be completely deserted. This is a very safe area and I'm sure I would be fine, but it was drilled into my head growing up that you don't go places like that alone.

I think starting back at week 1 and then perhaps trying a day from week 2 and then 3 is a good way for you to ease back in. I hope your ankle is all healed up now. Mine is not too great this morning and I am worried that I may not be able to continue. :(

I have never seen a roadrunner. That sounds so cool! The coyote sounds alarming though. We have quail here too. On my runs I see little bunnies, deer, eagles, and robins. Sometimes I hear doves but they stay hidden. Occasionally there is a cougar in our area, but I wouldn't run any trails until it had been found and relocated.

Where is everyone else running? What do you see in your area?

I run in the neighborhood. It's basically flat and there's some traffic depending on which way I go. I don't think I'd give running on the trails another thought, Eagle. I'd just go. :)

W5D1 done. Today was my fastest pace so far and the run overall felt much nicer than last week's run. I liked the longer (and fewer) run/walk intervals, but the rest of the week scares me a little....especially D3.

My main concern is people. I live in a suburb-type area with a lot of public land, including large areas of forest. There are great trails, which are used by a lot of people, but at any given time may be completely deserted. This is a very safe area and I'm sure I would be fine, but it was drilled into my head growing up that you don't go places like that alone.

I think starting back at week 1 and then perhaps trying a day from week 2 and then 3 is a good way for you to ease back in. I hope your ankle is all healed up now. Mine is not too great this morning and I am worried that I may not be able to continue. :(

I have never seen a roadrunner. That sounds so cool! The coyote sounds alarming though. We have quail here too. On my runs I see little bunnies, deer, eagles, and robins. Sometimes I hear doves but they stay hidden. Occasionally there is a cougar in our area, but I wouldn't run any trails until it had been found and relocated.

Where is everyone else running? What do you see in your area?

If your area is generally safe and low-crime, I would definitely try it out! Running on trails in natural areas is so nice. Take some pepper spray with you if you are really worried (I do, because like I said, something awful happened where I run not long ago) but honestly it sounds like you probably don't even need to do that.

Eagles?! How cool! I've never seen an eagle here, but we do see a fair number of hawks, usually red tails. The roadrunners are so fun to watch. We just love them. Especially when you get to see one hunting and catching some food. That coyote that I encountered was a lot more afraid of me than I was of him. It was pretty clear he was about to bolt, so I just turned and casuallly walked away from him, trying to let him know that I was no threat. I live on the edge of town, and this open space area is still pretty flat. But higher up, in the foothills, people do sometimes see bears. That would be a little scary when running alone, but what truly and profoundly TERRIFIES me is the thought of encountering a mountain lion. They are generally only over on the other side of these mountains, not this side, but that remains my worst (irrational) fear. With a bear, I know there's a good chance it's not going to be interested in me, and will just go about its business. But mountain lions (same thing as a cougar, right?) holy crap.

I went back and did the Week 1 workout today. My ankle is twingey - not outright hurting, but not feeling exactly normal either. I'm really disappointed. This is so frustrating: I thought what would limit me would be my aerobic fitness. My aerobic fitness has improved more than I would have imagined (I could not believe how much easier Week 1 was this time than it was the first time!!!) but now I'm going to lose all of that progress because of my ankle. :( Ugggh!

Tough call Eagle. I grew up with the same thinking.

Even this morning near MILs house, I started to run in the next community which is big and fairly flat. But the same truck passed me four times and then parked at a corner, not a house, and didn't get out. I decided to run on the main busy road instead. It was probably just a lost person, but I got a little nervous about it.

We have some great trails here and I see other women running there by themselves, but I just don't like to do it. Of course, I usually run faster there! It's too secluded and while there are a fair number of people there, when you get back in the woods you might not see anyone for 5 minutes. DH and DS take our dog running there all the time, so I'm hoping if I can stick with this we can all go together. 

For now I run the back streets around our neighborhood, I have a good 4 mile loop I've been doing with the actual program in the middle of that. The only bad part is there is about a 1 1/2 mile stretch along the golf course. I never look to see if I know anyone :laugh:

I finished week 5 today, but I could not run the entire 20 minutes. I was tired leaving the house and it was not a good run. I managed 12 minutes, then walk, then 8 more minutes. And I was so much slower than I was last week. But, as I keep saying, I am doing it! And that is more than I was doing at the beginning of the summer. 

I ordered a fitbit charge HR that should be here today. I am interested in seeing just what my heart rate is during these run parts when I feel like I can't go another step :lol:  Also, I am going to try to get all my steps in on my off days.  I have been tracking on my phone, but I don't carry it all the time and I would like to have a more accurate idea. 

Greta- I am so sorry about your ankle. It's so frustrating to find something you want to do and then not be able to do it! I really feel for you. Maybe there is a couch to something for swimming? That would be great exercise and easy on your ankle. 

I run in the neighborhood. It's basically flat and there's some traffic depending on which way I go. I don't think I'd give running on the trails another thought, Eagle. I'd just go. :)

W5D1 done. Today was my fastest pace so far and the run overall felt much nicer than last week's run. I liked the longer (and fewer) run/walk intervals, but the rest of the week scares me a little....especially D3.

I could not do D3 today. Had to walk after 12 minutes, then I ran the last 8. I'm not sure what my plan is going to be from here on out. I might just start running as far as I can, walk and then run some more to get the total mileage in. Kind of make up my own plan from now on. I don't like the planned intervals at this stage. 

I finished week 5 today, but I could not run the entire 20 minutes. I was tired leaving the house and it was not a good run. I managed 12 minutes, then walk, then 8 more minutes. And I was so much slower than I was last week. But, as I keep saying, I am doing it! And that is more than I was doing at the beginning of the summer.

I ordered a fitbit charge HR that should be here today. I am interested in seeing just what my heart rate is during these run parts when I feel like I can't go another step :lol: Also, I am going to try to get all my steps in on my off days. I have been tracking on my phone, but I don't carry it all the time and I would like to have a more accurate idea.

Greta- I am so sorry about your ankle. It's so frustrating to find something you want to do and then not be able to do it! I really feel for you. Maybe there is a couch to something for swimming? That would be great exercise and easy on your ankle.

I think the run as much as you can, walk to catch your breath, and start running again is a completely acceptable option. This is, generally speaking, the way my dh did it. He never followed a plan for intervals, just ran and walkedas needed. He's up over 4 miles at this point. Good on you for running as long as you did and sticking it out! :D

Honestly, that's going to be my plan come Friday.

I'd totally be interested in the HR to perceived exertion connection. Part if me wonders that for myself. On the other hand, is it because I psyched myself out or because I'm genuinely overextended? Sometimes I think the breathing thing is one part mental which may elevate my HR independent of my exertion. Does that make sense?

As for a swimming plan? What about this one - http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/swim-training-plan

We have some great trails here and I see other women running there by themselves, but I just don't like to do it. Of course, I usually run faster there! It's too secluded and while there are a fair number of people there, when you get back in the woods you might not see anyone for 5 minutes. DH and DS take our dog running there all the time, so I'm hoping if I can stick with this we can all go together.

For now I run the back streets around our neighborhood, I have a good 4 mile loop I've been doing with the actual program in the middle of that. The only bad part is there is about a 1 1/2 mile stretch along the golf course. I never look to see if I know anyone :laugh:

I ordered a fitbit charge HR that should be here today. I am interested in seeing just what my heart rate is during these run parts when I feel like I can't go another step :lol: Also, I am going to try to get all my steps in on my off days. I have been tracking on my phone, but I don't carry it all the time and I would like to have a more accurate idea.

As the runs get longer, I think it's normal to assume your time will get slower. I wouldn't worry about fast or slow at this point.

Went back to a week 3 workout for tonight. After really struggling the last run & heading out with a headache & sleep-deprived tonight, I figured going back a week would be better than doing nothing. It felt comfortable to run those amounts & I still feel like at least we went out & did something.

Hoping to get back to a week 4 workout for the next run this week.

W5D2 is done. The first 8min interval was pretty easy and flew right by. The second one was a mess.

Stacia - Keeping moving in anyway you can is better than skipping the workout altogether. :)

I am not going to count the weeks and days anymore - so I'll just say workout 2 completed this week! My fitbit HR came and it has a track your exercise screen that gives me cues and plays my music. It worked much better for me today than the app I was using.

I ran 20 minutes, walked, then ran 10 more. My heart rate was near its max(145-150) and I was barely breaking a 14 minute mile pace  :lol: Clearly there is a lot of room for improvement there. Good thing there'are not too many people on my path - they'd be walking right past me. But as long as I kept that pace I was pretty good to go. I can get a voice cue by 5 minutes or half miles, so it should be enough for me to move forward now that I am an this stage. 

I'd totally be interested in the HR to perceived exertion connection. Part if me wonders that for myself. On the other hand, is it because I psyched myself out or because I'm genuinely overextended? Sometimes I think the breathing thing is one part mental which may elevate my HR independent of my exertion. Does that make sense?

My hear rate was in the 145-150 range which given my age of 45 I think is pretty close to my max. I felt fine at that pace and staying there steadily helped me go longer in minutes. So I think I was working as hard as my body will currently allow. Gotta start somewhere! 

W5D3 is done. I made it the 20mins without stopping, though about 3/4 of the way through it got pretty tough.

Lewber - Interesting about the HR numbers and being able to use them to help you train smarter. You're right, we do have to start somewhere. Might as well be here. :D

Week 9 days 1 and 2 done. Not sure when I'll get to day 3. Back on the road traveling tomorrow.

The runs have physically gotten so much easier. (The 70 degree weather could be part of it here in MA after having 90 in FL). But I still hate having to go running, and I still find it boring. At this point I can last physically longer than mentally. How do you keep yourself in it? I have music I like on my iPod, and I look at flowers and houses and such, but I need a way to become lost in thought to forget about wondering how much time is left. Open to ideas! Please. I'm not looking to change to a different exercise, time wise this is perfect and now I can do it. Just need ideas how to pass the time and make it tolerable.

Finished three workouts this week. Did 1.5 miles today with a friend and we went faster. Not fast, but faster. Going to try 2 miles next time at my slower pace.

Still just walking on off days to get all my steps in but trying very hard to do hills and steps to get my heart rate up. And I downloaded the 100 push up challenge app, but I really can't even do 1 good pushup so I'm not sure that's going to be my thing:)

Week 9 days 1 and 2 done. Not sure when I'll get to day 3. Back on the road traveling tomorrow.

The runs have physically gotten so much easier. (The 70 degree weather could be part of it here in MA after having 90 in FL). But I still hate having to go running, and I still find it boring. At this point I can last physically longer than mentally. How do you keep yourself in it? I have music I like on my iPod, and I look at flowers and houses and such, but I need a way to become lost in thought to forget about wondering how much time is left. Open to ideas! Please. I'm not looking to change to a different exercise, time wise this is perfect and now I can do it. Just need ideas how to pass the time and make it tolerable.

It was frustrating to miss this week due to my ankle. I will be missing next week too. I have been looking for a way to run on trails once I recover, and I think I have it figured out. Now I just need that ankle to cooperate and hope that the problem is pavement. It does wreck my chance at running a 5k race though, which I was looking forward to. Unless I find a trail race...

My other news is that I sprained my wrist today. DH says I am falling to pieces!

Greta, how is your ankle?

I have been listening to podcasts on homeschooling to get me motivated. Many free ones available. They help the time pass for me.