Menu

If you were taking a weekend getaway...

Chocomom63

...what foods would you take along?  I am going on a getaway next weekend ALONE in a hotel...ALONE.  It's for rest and relaxation and after an overflowing toilet this afternoon I really can't wait.  

I plan on mostly staying in and watching dvd's, reading magazines, etc.  I am going to bring some snacks, water, etc. but I'll need a lunch and two dinners.  If this were you what would you bring?  I'll have a microwave and a refrigerator to work with.  Why am I not going out to eat?  I won't have a car (we only have one so my husband will need it to ferry kids around) and also I just don't like going to restaurants alone.  One thing I do have is a small bottle of champagne leftover from New Years.  :coolgleamA:

So, any help would be appreciated.  Oh, and please please pray that nothing gets in the way of this retreat because I'm almost going crazy crackers around here.

Thanks. 

I would be sure to bring microwave popcorn. 

And I would go for other snacky-type foods, like hummus and crackers, some good cheeses, chips and salsa, fresh fruit and veggies with dips, etc. I wouldn't worry at all about it being healthy and balanced for a few days. 

Have fun! (I did something like that once. On the second of my three days in the hotel, I called dh and asked him to bring the boys over for a bit. I thought I wanted to get away from them all, but I missed them right away.

• Like 1

I would get delivery or do pick up if there was a restaurant near the hotel, at least for one night.  Otherwise, I would bring the few things that I really enjoy.  Salad, fancy cheese and crackers, wine, a decadent dessert, nuts, and chips with french onion dip.  I couldn't eat to many of my guilty pleasures because then I wouldn't feel good at the end of the time, but one or two rounded out with some good food will do the trick.

• Like 1

I like to bring egg or tuna salad and burritos. I usually keep a few everything burritos stashed in my freezer (meat, rice, cheese, veggies). They leave me feeling like I've had a complete meal. Cheese crackers and smoked salmon are also nice. Some yogurt or Ben and Jerry's would be good too.

Cool Ranch Doritos. (Sorry, it's the first thing that came to mind.) :)

Microwave pasta dinner/ breadsticks/ salad

Chicken pot pie

Hot Ham and Swiss sandwich

Hehe - no apologies about Cool Ranch Doritos - it's a favorite at my house.  The ham and swiss sandwich idea is awesome and I know just how I'll make that:  chiabatta roll with butter, ham, and cheese.  :-)

Don't forget the adult beverages! 

If you plan on not going anywhere, I would take my favorite adult beverage with me to go with my many snacks.  Enjoy your me time and relax!

:cheers2:

Absolutely!  I have that little bottle of champagne but I had thought about taking a couple little mini Corona's too.  Thanks - I also hope it's a time of good relaxation for me.  The last little while has been quite stressful and this month has been terrible so I'm ready for something better.

• Like 1

I would be sure to bring microwave popcorn. 

And I would go for other snacky-type foods, like hummus and crackers, some good cheeses, chips and salsa, fresh fruit and veggies with dips, etc. I wouldn't worry at all about it being healthy and balanced for a few days. 

Have fun! (I did something like that once. On the second of my three days in the hotel, I called dh and asked him to bring the boys over for a bit. I thought I wanted to get away from them all, but I missed them right away.

Great ideas!  I had at first thought about keeping it healthy, but thought I'd see what you peeps thought before I went with that idea.  Glad you were able to have a getaway too.  I have 6 kids at home and they're all teens so they'll be fine without mom.  I might even be missed when I get back. :-)

• Like 1

I like to bring egg or tuna salad and burritos. I usually keep a few everything burritos stashed in my freezer (meat, rice, cheese, veggies). They leave me feeling like I've had a complete meal. Cheese crackers and smoked salmon are also nice. Some yogurt or Ben and Jerry's would be good too.

Yogurt and ice cream - mmmm. :-)  There's this great gelato called Talenti that is awesome, but I'm not sure if they have a freezer in the fridge - I'll have to find out because that gelato is awesome. 

Yep as a pp said I would look to see if there was a restaurant nearby. I would just order carry out if there was something I liked nearby and the area was safe (and/or go at lunchtime or early before it gets dark).

Does the fridge have a freezer compartment? If so I would probably bring along food from home like an individual frozen chimichanga or something stored in a small cooler bag on the way to the hotel. I would want more than enough food in case I get hungry at some oddball hour with no where to go. I would also bring drinks so I wasn't tempted to buy overpriced ones in the hotel vending machine :laugh: Call me frugal.

Yeah, I don't want to head out alone which is why I'd rather just stay in to eat.  They'll have breakfast in the hotel so I won't have to worry about that.  

I'm not sure about the fridge having a freezer but I'm going to find out since someone mentioned ice cream. :-)  I've been to this hotel before and they don't have vending machines on any of the floors which annoys me.  I think they sell you snacks at the front desk and they are very expensive.  Vending machines in hotels are one of those fun things I enjoyed as a kid because we rarely had candy and snacks at home.  

Oh and great idea on keeping enough food around - will remember that. Thanks.