Menu

I need waterproof beach shoes, but I have foot issues & can't wear flip-flops.

ereks mom

I have problems with the arch of one foot (posterior tibial tendinitis), and I need stability & motion control shoes. I MUST have good arch support and a shoe with a fairly hard, inflexible sole. This summer I have been successfully wearing these http://www.amazon.com/White-Mountain-Womens-Carly-Leather/dp/B000CD9WW2/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1438348138&sr=1-1&keywords=carly&refinements=p_89%3AWhite+Mountain, and I have them in several colors, but I can't wear them on the beach because they aren't suitable for getting wet. Crocs won't work because they are too squishy and bendy. Any other ideas?

Go to zappos.com and do a search for water shoes. I have a pair from them that fit and feel like good, supportive sneakers, but they're designed for getting wet. Mine are Ryka style, I think, but I forget which brand they are. There were several options there, though, with reviews.

• Like 1

Fit Flops are great and have arch support.

Orthoheel are uglier but a little more rigid in support.

What I absolutely love to wear at the beach is my old Teva water sandals, made of very high density foam rubber.  They don't go between my toes, they have good arch support, and they have a heel strap so they are very stable in position.  Here are some that are still on the market and very much like the ones I like:    http://www.teva.com/women-sandals/original-universal/1003987.html?dwvar_1003987_color=BLK#q=original+universal&source=ggl_ppc_sl&pcrid=83930249521&pkw=teva+sandals&pmt=e&pdv=c&gclid=CLmFv6TkhccCFUuTfgodpzkO1w&start=1&cgid=

Have you looked at Vionic by Orthaheel?  I've had issues in the past with plantar fasciitis, so I tend toward shoes with arch support. Their flip flops are wonderful!  Very spendy for flips, but wonderful.

This. The Vionic shoes are made for people with foot issues, and have great motion control. And hold up wonderfully. They are all I wear, and my plantar fasciitis went away just from wearing them. 

I bought a pair of abeo sport sandals with the metatarsal support. :001_wub:  (the arch support is great too, the combination of both is even better)  http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/abeo-b.i.o.-equinox-h2o-neutral-charcoal/40658  they didn't carry the ones with the metatarsal support in the store, but can be ordered online.  I like them better than my danskos . . . I wear them almost everywhere.

they're great for water, as they are waterproof - and have a perforated foot bed that will drain when you walk through water.  worth every penny.

I have had multiple surgeries on post tibial tendon (it ruptured) injury. Wear an ankle brace. (buy several) Walking in sand barefoot is a thing of the past. I wore the ankle brace in the ocean, but I walked up to the ocean in shoes with the ankle brace (I have alegria sandals) and have a daughter run them back to out towels. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. We stayed at a place that had a pool overlooking the ocean; it was ideal. There are still many ways to enjoy the beach; I love the sound of the ocean and the great ocean breeze, but I do not walk in the sand. I love I am glad I had many romantic moonlit walks on the beach before. 

On another note - avoid the surgery. It has been a nightmare - 3 surgeries total and really another is needed, but I am not mentally ready for it at all. 

I have had multiple surgeries on post tibial tendon (it ruptured) injury. Wear an ankle brace. (buy several) 

What ankle brace do you use? Did you buy it retail or get if from a doctor? I have weak ankles and constantly "fall off my shoes" as I call it. I turn my ankles out and am tired of the sprains because of it. I'm prone to over-supination due to my sciatica. The sciatica about as under control as it's going to get, which is to say not much. I'm considering seeing someone about my ankles, but am not sure what type of doctor to see. I'm also plan to try exercises and possibly a brace.

In the meantime, those Vionics look good.