Menu

Zoology books for elementary

Misha

My children are very interested in zoology and I've decided to forego chemistry for this year and replace it with zoology. I had been interested in the Sassafras zoology title but after reading reviews citing numerous grammatical errors and a clunky writing style I've decided to look elsewhere. 

Beyond "The Burgess Animal Book for Children", I have no idea what to get, title wise. 

I'm not really interested in a full program, living books are terrific, a spine title would be fantastic, a text book would be acceptable as well. Suggestions greatly appreciated.  :001_smile:

What age? I am doing Sassafras Zoology right now and it does make a decent spine. My kids enjoy it, even if it had errors and the facts are largely spit at the kids, rather than written into the story. I don't recommend the activity guide (after SOTW Activity Guides you will be highly disappointed) so just the book itself isn't very expensive. It is much more suitable for my 4 year old, but my 7 year old likes to listen just as much.

• Like 1

There are sooooo many outstanding science books about zoology that I barely know where to start. At least at our library, they're the vast majority of the science nonfiction. I would just go and take out books. If you have even a half decent library there will be plenty.

But also, some of the best resources are videos. The various Life of... series by Attenborough are excellent and streaming on Netflix now, I think.

• Like 1

That age is old enough to start appreciating some of the Scientist in the Field series. They're mostly excellent and more than half of them are zoology related. Also, the authors of those can lead you to other titles that are of similar depth.

• Like 2

Guest lovelife

We just bought Smithsonian Institute Animal book used on Amazon for a steal. The book is HUGE and has habitats and wonderful information about a bazillion animals broken out by mammal, reptile, etc. I don't know that it would be a spine on its own, but everyday since it arrived my kids lug it out and look at it. They ask me to read excerpts about whatever page they decide is a favorite at the moment.

DD loves zoology. These are some of the resources we used, or are considering:

Sassafras Zoology (meh)

Among the  ______ People series 

Fabre's Book of Insects

The Story Book of Science (includes some botany/natural history as well as zoology)

One Small Square series (more about habitats than strictly zoology, but good, nonetheless)

Quark Chronicles (just ordered, but I think it will be a hit)

The Life of Mammals

The Life of Birds (almost anything by David Attenborough, actually)

The Blue Planet

Planet Earth

Winged Migration

• Like 1