Menu

Update in OP: Roman! New kitty in the family

trulycrabby

So, we went to the animal shelter today to adopt a dog, but this kitty had other ideas. She jumped onto my shoulder, settled down, started purring, so really, there was nothing else we could do. :001_wub:

20150730_175203_zps0qgbxc5v.jpg

The shelter humans said her name is Jane; she is about 1.5 years old, and she is already bossing the Silky Terrier around. "Dog, you will submit!" :001_wub:

She is already spayed, which is great!

UPDATE: We got Roman today!!! DS21's first words when he saw him were, "Holy Cr@p! He's huge!" Jane is totally in love and has been following him around; the silky terrier likes him too, and the Chi Pin is in her cage while he adjusts to his new home. I promise to post pics once he is more relaxed. He is fine and very affectionate, but is currently investigating every nook and cranny of the house. Thanks Hive, for helping me realize that one more cat would be fine :001_wub:

Photos just don't show how truly big he is! I will try to get a better shot later!

20150805_162617_zpsvhvayzoh.jpg

• Like 46

See, the thing is, there's another cat at the shelter who we love. His name is Roman, he is huge, 15 pounds, and looks like a miniature cougar! Not fat at all, just BIG! Gorgeous! Neutered, 4 years old. He is so sweet and beautiful, so does The Hive think we should go back tomorrow for him?

With Roman, we would have three small dogs and two cats. The dogs have always lived with cats, and Roman weighs more than any of the dogs. I have no worries that they would get along.

So, what do you think? :)

• Like 5

I just knew the hive would agree. :)

Okay, I have another confession. There is a dog I love at the shelter: She is a sweet, middle-aged lady, an overweight brown lab who I just know would blossom into a great dog with a bath, good food, and exercise. She is house trained and spayed. We didn't bond in the outdoor pen, but I believe it is because she was desperate to go to the bathroom. It's hard to make friends when a girl's got to use the loo. :o

What do I do? :o

See, the thing is, there's another cat at the shelter who we love. His name is Roman, he is huge, 15 pounds, and looks like a miniature cougar! Not fat at all, just BIG! Gorgeous! Neutered, 4 years old. He is so sweet and beautiful, so does The Hive think we should go back tomorrow for him?

With Roman, we would have three small dogs and two cats. The dogs have always lived with cats, and Roman weighs more than any of the dogs. I have no worries that they would get along.

Yes!!!

I have a giant cat that we call cat-dog. He's the size of a small dog and such a love.

• Like 1

I just knew the hive would agree. :)

Okay, I have a confession. There is a dog I love at the shelter: She is a sweet old lady, an overweight brown lab who I just know would blossom into a great dog with a bath, good food, and exercise. She is house trained and spayed. We didn't bond in the outdoor pen, but I believe it is because she was desperate to go to the bathroom. It's hard to make friends when a girl's got to use the loo. :o

What do I do? :o

In the state you are in, what is one more dog?  Also, she is old so you will give her a couple of good years and then she will move over the rainbow bridge and lower your pet population.  We have a middle aged cat, a kitten and a youngish dog.  We are in for the long haul.  I like the idea of adopting an older dog.  

• Like 2

Hey, we had ice cream for lunch. Dd just got her lower braces yesterday and they are bothering her.

My dh and dd volunteer at a local cat shelter a few times every week. I always say we are at our maximum with our two kitties. If the older cat wasn't so set in his ways...

We (especially dd) would love to have a dog but my dh is allergic.

• Like 1

Texasmama, we are in Alabama, so the more, the merrier.

DH says he just knew I would bring home a one-eyed, three-legged, ancient dog. He is totally on board, btw. :zombie:

I meant like in the state of number of pets you are in, but Alabama works.  ;)

The sad cases are my favorite.  The older, the better.  

I love how she can't decide to be calico or tabby. 

It is because she is a patched tabby. :-)

I had two kitty sisters. One was a patched tabby (oh, and patched tabbies often have beautiful green eyes); the other was a dilute calico. Calico is a white body with splotches of black and orange; dilute calico is a white body with splotches of gray and cream. They were stunning girls. :-) 

• Like 2

Jane is lovely. She was obviously waiting for "her family" to walk through the door. Our recently adopted older kitty was the same way. We all knew when she came running to greet the whole family that that was our new kitty so we didn't keep looking.

What kind of little dogs do you have? Your animal situation sounds like a mirror to ours, complete with three small dogs and an older lab adopted from a shelter (only ours is black instead of brown.)

Looking forward to pictures of Roman and Lady Lab tomorrow!

Jane is lovely. She was obviously waiting for "her family" to walk through the door. Our recently adopted older kitty was the same way. We all knew when she came running to greet the whole family that that was our new kitty so we didn't keep looking.

What kind of little dogs do you have? Your animal situation sounds like a mirror to ours, complete with three small dogs and an older lab adopted from a shelter (only ours is black instead of brown.)

Looking forward to pictures of Roman and Lady Lab tomorrow!

We have two Silky Terriers and one Chi Pin. My sister used to participate in a Yorkie rescue group, so that's how we ended up with two silkies.

Good morning! Kitty update: Jane is settling in nicely, with only a few hiccups. Silky terrier is comeplely scared, and the Chi Pin is licking her scratched nose.

After a good night's sleep, sanity has set in and we are going to wait a few days on any more adoptions. #catyakonthesofa

• Like 3

Good morning! Kitty update: Jane is settling in nicely, with only a few hiccups. Silky terrier is comeplely scared, and the Chi Pin is licking her scratched nose.

After a good night's sleep, sanity has set in and we are going to wait a few days on any more adoptions. #catyakonthesofa

Oh, okay, if you insist.  :)  It is a good idea to let each pet settle in before bringing a new one home.

• Like 3

I can't believe you have to ask... then I read that you slept on your decision.

I actually fully understand waiting to be sure rather than being regretful later, but make sure the shelter knows you could be interested so they don't proceed with anything...

When I was young and in a vet training (for farm kids) class we worked on shelter animals as part of our training.  There was one black lab I really, really liked.  We knew these animals were all available for adoption, so before the next week's class I asked my dad.  He was interested.  However... (sigh)  It still bums me out.  It bummed out the other workers there too.  They hate putting animals down, but they were overcrowded & he was older and had been there for a while.  After we had finished our day...  he would have been able to stay the additional week if only they had known about my plans/thoughts to ask dad.

• Like 1

I can't believe you have to ask... then I read that you slept on your decision.

I actually fully understand waiting to be sure rather than being regretful later, but make sure the shelter knows you could be interested so they don't proceed with anything...

When I was young and in a vet training (for farm kids) class we worked on shelter animals as part of our training. There was one black lab I really, really liked. We knew these animals were all available for adoption, so before the next week's class I asked my dad. He was interested. However... (sigh) It still bums me out. It bummed out the other workers there too. They hate putting animals down, but they were overcrowded & he was older and had been there for a while. After we had finished our day... he would have been able to stay the additional week if only they had known about my plans/thoughts to ask dad.

I have run out of likes for the day, but thank you for the reminder to call the shelter. I will do so right now! Yes, I still want him, and so does the rest of the family. :o

• Like 2

End of day 2 with new family: Jane is the sweetest, most affectionate kitty! We are so happy with her! She was scratching her ears this morning and I thought, "uh oh, ear mites," but her ears look fine and no sign of them. I am still thinking fondly of Roman, but still haven't made a final decision. :)

• Like 6

This shall come as no surprise, but...

GO BACK FOR ROMAN! 

And the lady doggie, too.

BUT ESPECIALLY ROMAN!!  Go, woman, go!

Jane is so lovely.  All of our indoor kitties have chosen us, too.  Cats just don't bother taking no for an answer.  If they pick you, that's just the way it's going to be. 

• Like 2

Ellie and fraidycat, the kindle won't let me multiquote, so I will answer your posts in this reply:

The brown lab got adopted, which makes me very happy because my concern was that no one would want her. :)

I am waffling on Roman, frankly because the reality of all that kitty litter in the house has set in. :o Jane apparently has an extremely healthy colon and frankly, I am wondering how a six-pound kitty can produce so much poop! She is eating like there is no tomorrow, which is a little puzzling because food was plentiful in the shelter, and she is not underweight. :zombie:

So, I am loving Jane (who is stting on my feet), but wondering about the work load and mess of two cats. One is great, but two just might be too much work. :o

As a parent of 3 cats, I can tell you that taking care of the litter for 2 isn't really that much more than for 1. You're already having to scoop daily so you'll just scoop a bit more. Having that second cat to love and be a companion to Jane will be more payback that you'll ever want for having to scoop pooh.

• Like 4

As a parent of 3 cats, I can tell you that taking care of the litter for 2 isn't really that much more than for 1. You're already having to scoop daily so you'll just scoop a bit more. Having that second cat to love and be a companion to Jane will be more payback that you'll ever want for having to scoop pooh.

I agree - we have three cats. Going from one to two and then two to three wasn't really an issue as far as the workload, but the cuteness factor multiplies by about 10,000 when they play together, so it's definitely a go! 

• Like 1