Menu

What are you using for grammar in 2015-2016?

IfIOnly

First Language Lessons.

Edited to add:

We are also doing copywork.  He writes a line or two a day, that has equated to several short poems, lessons from the McGuffey Primer, scripture, and FLL copywork (see above).  Even understanding that this is indeed an essential part to Language Arts it surprises me all that we discuss with this simple practice.

• Like 2

We're continuing with Shurley English. I don't love it, but I can't deny my daughter can find a prepositional phrase anywhere. I have a hard time changing something that's not broken (well, once I ignore half the teacher's manual, it's not broken for us. Some of the activities I can't really see anyone outside of a classroom setting really doing).

• Like 1

After realizing that Grace wasn't retaining anything with MCT even though she loves it. I decided to add in Fix-It Grammar so we are doing a MCT/Fix It! combo this year. We'll see how it goes.....

Sophia is using Foundations Level D which includes an introduction to grammar and mechanics. The last term of the year I'll do Sentence Family with her before we begin formal grammar in 4th grade.

• Like 1

I'm switching from MCT to a combination of Fix It and Grammar Made Easy.

I picked Fix It for the practicality of sentence editing. I picked Grammar Made Easy because it's a sentence combining approach, and the research I did identified that as the type of grammar instruction most likely to improve writing.

This looks like a good combo. Hmmm...

DD will be using Grammar for Middle School (Killgallon) and ds will be using Ridgewood Grammar.

I am not overly pleased with either selection.

DD rejected multiple grammar curricula that we tried after FLL. (SWB, WHY couldn't you have kept going with your grammar program rather than working on the WWS books??) When it got to the point that she pretty much refused to do grammar (not really, but she was dead set against actually learning from what we had, and that is NOT the way dd normally operates; she's a very enthusiastic learner), I bought GMS because she wanted a grammar program in which she creates and doesn't simply mark other people's sentences. I'm not sold on the Killgallon way, but I'm willing to give it a try.

DS will continue with Ridgewood, which he dislikes and isn't learning much from, simply because I can't find anything else that I think he would do better with. I'm hoping that by sheer force of will (and continuing to plug away) I can help him learn from Ridgewood. I have tweaked so much of his curricula over the last two years, and I've simply run out of energy and money to keep trying and rejecting programs.

• Like 1

I'm glad I read this thread. I just read about Grammar Made Easy and looked at the sample, and I actually think this would work with my son. And his tutor has offered to let me look at something called Hands-On English Linking Blocks, so we may very well be switching after all. :)

• Like 1

I'm switching from MCT to a combination of Fix It and Grammar Made Easy.

I picked Fix It for the practicality of sentence editing. I picked Grammar Made Easy because it's a sentence combining approach, and the research I did identified that as the type of grammar instruction most likely to improve writing.

sbgrace, you've sold me on GME and maybe Fix It!, too. I'm ditching GWG. Thank you so much for the rec. 

I am going to sit MY butt down and read every word and do every exercise in Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation. While I'm doing that, I'll teach students some of the easier rules from that book during copywork, dictation, and composition. That'll be good enough for this year.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We are using Rod and Staff English 5, 4, & 3 for grammar this year.  It is our 5th year with this program.  My oldest did the first 1/2 of 5 for 5th last year and is finishing the 2nd 1/2 of 5 for 6th this year.  I tried something else for 3 weeks this September, and remembered once again that R&S Grammar really is the best I have found.  I love it, and my kids go back and forth with it but do it without complaint.  They learn much that has been good in laying a solid foundation for their writing.  The grammar and outlining is superb.

• Like 2

I've been doing Grammar for Middle School from Killgallon with my daughter for several weeks now, and she loves it. I have to say that, despite my initial skepticism, I'm pleased with it. I guess my daughter is an applied grammar, not a grammar for grammar's sake, kid. I think this program would be difficult to teach if the parent did not have a firm grasp of grammar.

My son is still plugging away with Ridgewood and, despite my earlier resignation that he wasn't really learning from it, he seems to be making progress this year. Perhaps he has just reached a developmental milestone. I offered him several alternative programs, but he chose to stick with Ridgewood. He's in the 4th grade book as a 7th grader, but oh well!

• Like 4

I've been doing Grammar for Middle School from Killgallon with my daughter for several weeks now, and she loves it. I have to say that, despite my initial skepticism, I'm pleased with it. I guess my daughter is an applied grammar, not a grammar for grammar's sake, kid. I think this program would be difficult to teach if the parent did not have a firm grasp of grammar.

My son is still plugging away with Ridgewood and, despite my earlier resignation that he wasn't really learning from it, he seems to be making progress this year. Perhaps he has just reached a developmental milestone. I offered him several alternative programs, but he chose to stick with Ridgewood. He's in the 4th grade book as a 7th grader, but oh well!

My Ds is in the 5th grade Hake book in 7th grade and I totally agree with you, oh well!

• Like 3

My boys do grammar 2 years behind. After years of frustration and tears trying different approaches, this is working great here. They'll be doing grammar until 11th/dual enrollment at the local community college. My kids' grammar knowledge and application is beyond ours at that age (dh was private schooled, I was public schooled), and they score great on grammar mechanics on standardized tests. I think homeschool grammar curricula can be really advanced, and that doesn't work for every child and home. No more tears, frustration, and they work mostly independently. Yay!

• Like 3

We are continuing with KISS Grammar. It's very easy to use and has lots of constant reinforcement of previous lessons. The program has been revised since we started it, but we continued using the older program. We are finishing Level 3.2 this week, and will move on to Level 4. We had tried FLL back in first or second grade and quickly decided it was not for us. 

Here is the link for it: http://www.kissgrammar.org

• Like 1

My boys do grammar 2 years behind. After years of frustration and tears trying different approaches, this is working great here. They'll be doing grammar until 11th/dual enrollment at the local community college. My kids' grammar knowledge and application is beyond ours at that age (dh was private schooled, I was public schooled), and they score great on grammar mechanics on standardized tests. I think homeschool grammar curricula can be really advanced, and that doesn't work for every child and home. No more tears, frustration, and they work mostly independently. Yay!

This is very true. I started my dd who is in 8th grade with Easy Grammar Plus. I almost wish I had stared with EG6 since she's not had any grammar before and two years of EG would have been nice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm beginning to think Grammar/Writing/English are my kryptonite.  

We started this year with CLE LA -- but with added writing and different spelling -- and it was just too time consuming.

We tried Easy Grammar but it just was not a good fit for us. We needed a bit more hand-holding and interest.

I just received BJU English in the mail -- I'm hoping that the girls will like this well enough...

• Like 1

Bob Jones.

We switched this year from Rod & Staff to Bob Jones. I loved R &S and I still think it is wonderful. I wish we were still doing it. But.... my DS still at home really struggles. And BJ goes slower, has a write-in workbook and more explicit writing assignment instructions. He seems to be doing better with BJ than he did with R&S. DD is doing well with the curriculum, too. She likes the workbook format better, too. Sigh. I loved R&S and I think a child who completes the curriculum will have a stellar education in English grammar. But, I think BJ is strong and adequate, and we will stick with it for these two kids at least. I started my first grader in CLE tis year. I wanted their phonics, but she's doing the whole Language Arts program, too, and I'm very happy with it, so we will probably stick with that for her.
  • Like 3

WWE was a bust. We all hated having to memorize things. Just wasn't up our alley.

Rod and Staff was good for three years, but then the boys had just had Enough. It was a terrible fight to do grammar each day. I thought the program was very solid, but the boys were just tired of it.

Easy Grammar was too easy and the boys didn't retain anything. They went backwards that year and knew less about grammar at the end of the year than going in. So frustrating. They didn't mind doing grammar and it took only about 20 minutes or so each day, but they also didn't learn a thing.

This year it's CLE grammar. It takes my boys a solid 55 minutes (that's how long I allot for grammar each day) to complete a single lesson. It's a lot of work, but it seems that they're retaining it this time around unlike last year. And they're not having a revolution yet like 2 years ago with R&S. So, CLE it is for us.

• Like 1

We're using FLL4 for two of the kids. The rest aren't doing formal grammar this year.

I think we'll probably skip grammar next year in favor of an intensive writing year. Then, we'll pick grammar back up for the three youngest the year after.

• Like 1