Menu

What are you using for grammar in 2015-2016?

IfIOnly

I had purchased Fix It Grammar and have decided I want more, so I am waiting for Rod and Staff to get here. I used R&S in the past and it's not my favorite, but I know it will get the job done. We will use both.

I'm planning to use MCT Practice Town for my 7th and 4th grader for the benefit of analyzing whole sentences.  The 7th grader will also continue with Daily Grams.  Still deciding on what to add for the 4th grader. 

Nothing to see here, lol. 

(Don't ya hate it when old plans get bumped up and you think "Oh, yeah, I vaguely remember thinking that....")

• Like 4

Last year we did Rod and Staff and Evan-Moor Daily Language Practice. Rod and Staff just never clicked after two years of it. So this year dd will use Daily Grams and grammar in the context of writing. We're using Jump Start for a lighter approach to writing, and the second book has a bit of grammar. If I wind up adding in Dictation Day by Day for spelling and handwriting, that would be another opportunity. 

I was very close to using Saxon, but I think I want to emphasize handwriting and writing this year. I can move to Saxon next year. 

• Like 1

5th Grader = FLL 4 (second half, grammar only)

3rd Graders = FLL 3 (second half, grammar only)

We stretch out FLL 3 over 2nd & 3rd and FLL 4 over 4th & 5th, and do only the grammar (no narrations, poetry from FLL [we do our own selections], no copywork). We also do the dictionary skills and the contraction lessons. HTH.

• Like 2

We are giving grammar, vocabulary, handwriting a break for a year. We will focus on Henle Latin instead.

SilverMoon, how did you decide to use AG for your 7th grader? We've used R&S English till 6 and 7 for two ds's.

I couldn't think of a valid reason to tell him no. *shrug* Last school year DS/7th and DD/5th used a daily review book for grammar, to free up more time for other pursuits. It took five minutes a day and kept grammar from completely falling out of their head. They knew they'd go right back to R&S the following year. When I brought that up again this spring DS/7th directly asked for something else for grammar. He is not one to complain about curricula or book choices, and a technical kid that generally does really well with grammar. Fwiw, DD/5th thumbed through a copy of JAG and said she'd rather have R&S.

• Like 1