Menu

iMessage, iPad techie question?

DH has a droid phone and I use Apple. I get his text messages on my phone but not on my iPad.

When I try to add him to my contacts on my iPad, I get a message that he is not registered with iMessage. I end up carrying my phone and my iPad around all day. Annoying.

Is there a way to add him?

More research tells me that you can Forward texts from your iPhone to your iPad, but only with IOS 8.1 which my old iPhone 4 does not have.

He would have to have a third party program and use a different number which some of my kids use.

I guess I need a new phone.😜

More research tells me that you can Forward texts from your iPhone to your iPad, but only with IOS 8.1 which my old iPhone 4 does not have.

He would have to have a third party program and use a different number which some of my kids use.

I guess I need a new phone.😜

It maybe he needs a new phone. :)

I get all my texts on my ipad, iphone, and mac computer. You have to have your phone number associated with your apple id, then when a text comes to that number it will show up wherever you are logged in with your apple id.

Okay, I found it. On your ipad, go to Settings>Messages>Send & Receive. Click where it says Add Another Email then put in your phone number. I think that should fix it. But if not, check out this page, it might be a better help: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201349

I have done that.

iPad won't allow me to put him in my contacts because he is not a registered iMessage user.

Or just get a texting app for the iPad that allows you to text straight to it. :) That's what we have done, because I don't want it tied to my phone's account.

Hmm. Can you give me aspecific app name? I have not heard of this. how does it work if people,who normally text me . Do I have to give out different information?

I mean , right now my dad can text,y cell phone and I get the text there. I don't really want to have to just text my iPad, and then not get it on my cell phone if I am out and about. Follow me?

We have Text Plus on ours. I don't use it as my main way to text though, so it is a little different than what you are asking. We use it when we are responding to for sale ads on FB or when I don't want someone having my cell phone number. Family has the number for it and uses it when we don't answer one of our phones. It's just  in contacts under OurName Ipad. I know I can forward my cell number to another one, and I would think there would be a way to do the same with texts. 

ETA...I just asked someone who has both and iPhone and iPad and she said she uses a Google Voice number for all her devices. A quick google search should show you how. 

That's really weird that it didn't work for you. Every single text I get from anyone with any type of phone comes to imessage on all my devices, even if they're not already in my contacts. Maybe a quick trip to the genius bar?

We have Text Plus on ours. I don't use it as my main way to text though, so it is a little different than what you are asking. We use it when we are responding to for sale ads on FB or when I don't want someone having my cell phone number. Family has the number for it and uses it when we don't answer one of our phones. It's just in contacts under OurName Ipad. I know I can forward my cell number to another one, and I would think there would be a way to do the same with texts.

ETA...I just asked someone who has both and iPhone and iPad and she said she uses a Google Voice number for all her devices. A quick google search should show you how.

Yes some of my kids use google voice and we know how to do that. It's problematic in some ways for DH to remember to text to a different number than he calls me at.

That's really weird that it didn't work for you. Every single text I get from anyone with any type of phone comes to imessage on all my devices, even if they're not already in my contacts. Maybe a quick trip to the genius bar?

I believe the issue is solved when you have a newer iPhone with 8.1ios on it. My older iphone4 does not have the text forwarding feature. I figured that out yesterday.

My computer engineer son ( who also uses droid and laughs at me when I tell him to get an iPhone) says a third party app is probably not the safest way to text anyway. So I will carry on the way I am doing it now until I decide to upgrade to a newer phone.

• Like 1