Menu

Theater Folks - Audition Monologue

It is truly the last hour, but dd has decided to step into the theater world this year. She is attending a musical theater camp this week and was so nervous on the first day, but as of yesterday, she is loving it. Maybe she has finally found her people. She plans to audition at the end of August for two productions and needs a musical number, which she has, and a short monologue, which she doesn't. Theater folks, can you give us suggestions for short, audition monologues?

Thanks so much.

• Like 1

It's been a long time since I've done anything theatrical, so I'm mostly just bumping for you, but here are some of the monologues I remember doing:

Portia from The Merchant of Venice, "The quality of mercy is not strained…"  Lower left in the link.

The mother in Equus, "And me, what about me, what do you think I am?  I'm a parent of course, so it doesn't count?"

Antigone, from the Jean Anouilh version, "Happiness?  What kind of happiness do you foresee for me?  Paint me the picture of your happy Antigone..."

The monologues I did from Equus and Antigone simply skipped over the parts of the doctor (Equus) and Creon (Antigone).  Basically, you can put a monologue together to suit the time that you need, even if in the actual play, someone else might be speaking small lines in between.  

Good luck to your daughter.

My favorite of these is the Antigone speech, well suited for a young woman.   I used that for my Governor's School audition, and I was accepted.

• Like 2

Guest Jdavmae

Usually you choose a monologue and song that are contrasting and that will showcase qualities needed for whatever show she is auditioning for. What is she auditioning for and what parts does she hope to be considered for?

What piece of music/character is she using? Is she just singing 16 bars? How much time is she allowed for the monologue?

Just arrived back home and checked this thread.  Thank you so much for the replies.

She will be auditioning for Edgar Allen Poe, which is the Halloween production, and A Christmas Carol. I really don't know anything more than that.  The director is in the middle of a production and hasn't put out information on acting classes or up-coming productions. He did say that he wants her to audition.

She will probably sing "Think of Me" from Phantom. She performed that at the camp and did a great job. All the kids at the camp were supportive of each other, and dd was the happiest I have seen her in a very long time.

The Antigone monologue sounds good, but she might need to do a lighter monologue since the song is so dramatic.  Any ideas?

Guest Jdavmae

She might want to look at Our Town by Thorton Wilder. Emily is a relatable age and while the language is simple and therefore, easy to memorize, it will give her a chance to play with subtext. This link has three

options...http://rachelsmonologueblog.blogspot.com/2013/10/our-town-by-thornton-wilder.html

I would suggest the first or second would offer the most contrast from the song she will be singing. (I am impressed she can sing that! Wow.) The first monologue has that embarrassed, petulant, shy testing your own power tone. She needs to set where George is and then really talk to "him" and take her time, looking for his reactions and choosing what she is going to say next and why. The second choice is interesting because Emily starts out excited and eager to share and then there is a turn toward melancholy and she has a realization that you can't appreciate it while you are living. (Might be a nice transition for her song...)

Whatever monologue she chooses I hope she enjoys every second of the process!! Tell her to "break a leg"!

Thanks! We've been searching online but haven't found quite the right piece. I think she is going to do the first or second from "Our Town.  

Btw, what would be appropriate attire for the audition?  Simple skirt and top?  Pants?

Guest Jdavmae

Probably simple skirt and top...but more importantly something she is comfortable!

When is the audition! She needs to prepare and then just go have fun!

• 5 weeks later...

An update. It turns out dd did not have to prepare a monologue. Instead, she sang a prepared song and did a cold read from one of the scripts. There were many young people and children there who were very good, so she didn't know what to expect. However, she did a great job, especially with cold read, and was cast in both productions! This is huge for her since she decided not to participate in orchestra for her senior year. We find out tonight about her parts.

Thanks for the input.

• Like 3