Menu

Like Brave Writer Expository Essay, but not as expensive?

I would love for my ds15 to do Expository Essay with Brave Writer, but the cost seems very high, especially with our lower Aussie dollar. Is there an alternative like Brave Writer Exp Essay that isn't as expensive?

Or is BW really worth AU$300+ for 6 weeks?

My ds has completed LToW1 and doesn't want to do LToW2, and he has done more than enough IEW, and has had enough with format type programs like that, and not online courses as he just plays with chat instead of listening to the lecture. He just needs something that will teach him upper high-school essay writing. 

Thanks

You could purchase the three Writing with Skill books, which thoroughly cover expository writing, and have him do those in one year without a class.  Or, if he prefers a class The Well Trained Mind Academy offers it online.  You can find a sample syllabus on The Well Trained Mind Academy where they call it "Preparation for Rhetoric Writing: A OneYear Catch-Up Course." Either way, it's more than a six week class, if that's what you're looking for.

Maybe you can get some feedback comparing BW and WTMA classes from those who've taken them. I've heard good things about both. I teach expository writing locally and the kids really like the WWS books, but I wouldn't hesitate to sign up with BW if my kids needed it simply because of all the good feedback I've heard about it.

• Like 1

You can purchase the pdf of Help for High School - it is basically the instructions for both the Kidswriter Intermediate Course as well as the Expository Essay course. It is written to the student. If you have a motivated student and you can help edit, then you could easily do this course instead of the online Bravewriter courses. I decided that I couldn't teach this myself (can't help my students with editing), and I find the teacher comments and how the instructors can pull out great writing from my non-writer worth the price of the online courses.

• Like 1

My son did one of the BraveWriter classes last spring and really enjoyed it.  That said, I agree that it is a bit pricey for a 6 week class.  He is currently enrolled in a class at Write Foundations.  It is much more affordable and I have found the instruction to be very good.  Good Luck!!  Let me know what you think if you decide to use it.

• Like 1

A friend of mine used Time4Writing with her son and it prepared him very well for the college classes he is taking.  It's only $99 for an 8 week course. I love BW, too, but can't stomach the cost so I am going with Time4Writing for my 14yo who needs to get up to speed for high school writing. 

• Like 2

Thanks ladies. We are 12 hours behind US time, so live online courses are usually not an option. 

At this point, I've bought Derek's recommendation: The Lively Art of Writing, and am reading it aloud to my ds, and we are discussing it and doing the exercises verbally. I've also got Academic Writing III coming in the post from RFWP. I've only got 4 months left to do this in so I might just have to mostly teach it myself, since I know where he's at and needs to go. 

At this point, I've bought Derek's recommendation: The Lively Art of Writing, and am reading it aloud to my ds, and we are discussing it and doing the exercises verbally.

Some moms on this forum contributed to create a teacher's guide and workbook for this. I can't link them now. If you want to use them, search the forum or search Yahoo groups for links.

• Like 1

If you want a class, perhaps this would work. http://www.home2teach.com/classes/session-1/expository-writing/

I know they have some classes that meet in evening for Aussies, not sure if your son would place in expository writing. My impression is that most students place lower. Here is the link for the paragraph http://www.home2teach.com/classes/session-1/paragraph-writing/

My daughter is taking the bravewriter expository essay now, but honestly the paragraph class through Home2teach was what improved her writing the most. She already knew how to structure the essay through IEW, and though Bravewriter has been nice review, she hasn't learned much. The Home2teach class requires lots of daily revision , and took my daughter great amounts of time. She is now a super confident writer and deadlines are a piece of cake. This class is also a little less than half the price of brave wriiter. Hth.

Editing months later in case it helps. The home2teach experience we had was in the paragraph class. The other classes do not provice much feedback.

Edited by Silver Brook
  • Like 2