Menu

Math recommendation?

I am trying to help a friend come up with another Math credit for her rising senior daughter. 

She has done Algebra 1, Honors Geometry, and Algebra 2 at our Co-op. Due to health issues and other extenuating circumstances, she did okay (90) in Algebra 2, but isn't real confident of her skills. She is not a great standardized test-taker, and thus did not score quite high enough on her SAT or Compass tests to place into a dual enrollment math class at the Community College. 

She is a hard worker (I had her in Honors Geometry a couple of years ago), but math is not her favorite subject, and she is not going into a STEM major. What are some options for her final math credit? Pre-Calc at our Co-op is maxed out in class size, so that's out. What could she do, mostly on her own, with some occasional tutoring if necessary? 

I would consider statistics or an independent PreCalc like TT, DO, or Philfour. There are lots of choices. For stats she could look at Chalkdust.

Another choice would be to do College Algebra rather than a full Pre-Calc class. It would shore up her Algebra skills without moving as fast as Pre-Calc. Lial's would be a good option for this.

I would consider statistics or an independent PreCalc like TT, DO, or Philfour. There are lots of choices. For stats she could look at Chalkdust.

Another choice would be to do College Algebra rather than a full Pre-Calc class. It would shore up her Algebra skills without moving as fast as Pre-Calc. Lial's would be a good option for this.

I am leaning toward recommending Lial's or a similar College Algebra text. The reviews I have read on some of the newer editions are terrible, though. Which edition is readily available at a decent price and has supplementary resources available?

New wrinkle:

Now the Mom is asking me about Math 101 and 102 at the Community College. But the course descriptions sound an awful lot like high school Algebra 1` and Algebra 2 to me, both of which she has already had. Would those be accepted as an additional math credit towards high school graduation? 

Math 110 is what I would call College Algebra, and seems to line up with Lial's text pretty well, although they use a different text. But I don't think she tested well enough to take that.

If math 110 is College Algebra, then yes, 101 and 102 are probably Introductory Algebra and Intermediate Algebra. We use those as Algebra 1 & 2 here. If she has already had Algebra 1 & 2 crediting Math 101-102 would be sketchy, however, she should test into College Algebra after Algebra 2. If she doesn't there is a problem with her algebra skills. What text did she use for Algebra 1 & 2? I know you said she isn't great at standardized test, but he Compass is untimed and testing into Algebra 1 is different than just missing College Algebra. I think there is cause for concern with her math skills and that starting with 101 might be a good idea.

I do know a kid who switch schools a lot in high school (foster care) and took Algebra 1 three times. He graduated in spite of our state requirement of "3 math credits, algebra 1 and above", so obviously the state of Missouri doesn't mind giving credit for the same classes repeated. He tested into Intermediate Algebra at the CC where he will attend next year.

Thanks for all of the advice. What's done is done. It looks like she is doing Math 101 at the CC. I don't get it, but I'm not in charge. I offered advice.

Good job letting go and walking away. It is difficult when people ask for advice and then ignore it. You tried. They chose. You did exactly the right thing in my book.

• Like 1

College Algebra is only 1 semester - so is it possible she could take the math preceding that one (here it was Intermediate Algebra) for review, and then take college algebra in the spring?  The Intermediate Algebra will count as an elective for transfer reasons (most of the time) but won't actually count as a math credit.  The College Algebra is sometimes the only other math needed for a degree if the student isn't pursuing Stem - along with a stat class.

My son took Intermediate Algebra  and then College Algebra is Junior year of HS, and we knew the IA wouldn't be counted as math, but it was his first actual classroom experience, so we figured it was worth it for the review and the experience.  It worked out very well for him...

Here, College Algebra is also the pre-req for most of the 1st year science classes - so it may make sense to try to get that one out of the way of you think it's manageable.

At the minimum, based on what the plans are for a major after high school, it's be best to either get College Algebra out of the way by then end of the school year, or take classes that will prepare the student to take CA in the Fall of their Freshman year of college (because it is a pre-req).  I'd say the prep classes leading up to CA should count as high school credit - because that's what a high school math teacher would be teaching to prepare HS students for the CA class :)