Menu

Kindergarten planning help, please

Reverie

My daughter (newly 5) will be starting K in September, and I am waffling over all the math curricula available. Any advice or experience appreciated. :)

Our curriculum, thus far:

Oak Meadow K as spine

Wee Folk Art books and activities to supplement literature, science, art, and/or crafts

Health through OM

Still deciding phonics/handwriting- daughter loves to write and be read to, comfortable with uppercase and avoids lowercase, minimal letter reversal, can read and write some sight words, all our family names, etc. Top choices right now are:

The Reading Lesson,

ETC

MCP

First Start Reading (through Memoria Press, I believe?)

For math, daughter can almost always count past 100, can add/subtract predictably to 10, can regroup 9+3 to 10+2, etc. mentally, was writing #s to 20 but recently started reversing most.Top math contenders:

Right Start Math A- complete package or at least the math game set

Critical Thinking Company's Mathematical Reasoning A

MEP (possibly grade 1, not R)

Life of Fred

Horizons

I know you can't predict what will work best for my family, but any advice is welcome. :) I would like my daughter to get a strong start in math and reading, without pushing too hard and killing her enthusiasm. She can sometimes be hesitant to try something unfamiliar or push through if she gets discouraged, but quickly turns around with modeling, shadowing, and encouragement. She loves stories, dramatic interpretations, science experiments, and hands-on activities.

I might add in basic geography, history,and logic, but am trying not to get too heavy handed as a first-time homeschooler. :)

Thank you for any help to calm last-minute uncertainty. 

• Like 1

No comment on the reading programs---we don't use any of the ones you mentioned. But we do use both MEP 1 and Math Reasoning. We've been using Math Reasoning from the beginning levels, and we really like the combination of the two programs.  MEP has more explicit teaching help for me.  We also use hands on manipulatives to work on various skills. We don't do both programs each day, but we sort of go between the two programs.  It works well for us, and keeps lessons short. I'd also say that although MEP claims it takes 45 minutes a lesson, that's 45 minutes a classroom lesson.  We finish in 10-15 minutes typically. We also supplement with the RightStart games as needed/wanted. 

It does sound like MEP 1 is a better level for you guys than reception. 

Hope you find what works for your family :)

• Like 1

If you end up going with Right Start...Buy Right Start B and stretch it over two years.  I bought A, and then got B...and I regret wasting the money on A as it is totally repeated in B.  

I really enjoyed HWOT Kindy book.  I bought the whole set....wooden letters, etc.  But you don't need to.  Buy the teacher's book (IMHO worth it for Kindy).  Buy the workbook.  We liked the song CD, but it's not necessary.  You can make letters out of dough (very Oak Meadow-y), or use Wiki Stix, or a lot of other ideas to replace the wooden portion.

If you don't want to do the little chalk board, you can put shaving cream on a cookie sheet and trace the letters in that.

Thank you, rwilkenfeld and umsami, for your replies. 

Umsami, thank you for the tip on RS levels. I will definitely consider B instead. 

I just tossed the idea of The Reading Lesson, and now Phonics Pathways is a strong contender. 

Math is the most difficult decision. I don't want to make a huge investment in RS if my daughter ends up not liking it. 

Any opinions on what would complement the RS math games the best: Math Reasoning A, LoF, or MEP?

• Like 1

I bought RS A version 1 used this year, and somehow received 2 copies of the manual. I could pass it along to you for cheap if you'd like it. I thought about only using B, but my dd is only 4, so she has plenty of time to work through both.

We have used Mathematical Reasoning for 2 years now, and are continuing with MR A in the fall, so that would be my recommendation. It's easy to just do a few pages here and there, rather than trying to implement another complete program.

• Like 1

I used The Reading Lsn and Phonics Pathways last year for K. We also used Math Reasoning B.

Last year we started with The Reading Lsn, but at lsn 7 it is out of short vowel territory (first 1/4 of book about the first 110 pages) We went trucking along but eventually hit a wall. I switched it up and borrowed Phonics Pathways from the library.  I liked it enough to buy and we worked through the K section of it. Phonics Pathways teaches the vowels than letter combination sounds for the letters. Ex  letter T,  Ta, Te, Ti, To, Tu . I feel it builds up "training" or building the sounds together nicely. It has little game suggestions in it. It also has little phrases of wisdom on the pages, which my son loves.  If I knew what I do now I'd start with Phonics Pathways, as I feel it built a better foundation.

The Reading lsn doesn't teach what vowels are, but jumps into sounding out and beginner reading. The end of lsn 1 the child masters at, sat, cat. It works short story and two word phrases in as it progresses. My son liked it because he got to show off with reading stories. It also has slashes under the sounds, so he could see  that TH is one sound, and no slash for silent e. If I remember right, it doesn't teach the phonic rules.  Some people use both texts together as each has as a strengths. For example Phonic Pathways is more word lists and two or three word phrases while Reading Lsn has stories.

I have used Math Reasoning A and the book before it. My son liked it. We did seven pages a week and he finished them in one or two days. We would review them also a third day and used Inchimals for a 4th day. I felt it was fine for K. Going in my kid could write 1-10  count to 100 and do simple addition with his fingers. I felt it was gentle. A child without those skills would be ok, as number writing, counting 1's 2's 5's and 10's is in there as well as many other topics.  I can't compare it to anything as I haven't tried anything else. We are switching math programs  next year because I feel it would be too light for 1st.  My math goal was to build confidence and a math is fun attitude. If another math program speaks to you more, go with it. You know your goals and child.

Last year was my first year homeschooling and I am no expert. Take my option at your own risk.

Our K year we used a combo of BYO Library and Timberdoodle.

Hope this helps. :)

• Like 1

The RS math games will work with any curricula. I like Miquon the best, and I feel that the conceptual content of Miquon complements the more fact based practice of RS games. We also did Mep R which is fun, but will likely be too easy for your child.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone...still narrowing it down.

I think I'm definitely going to go with Right Start. Still on the fence on whether to add LoF, MR, or MEP because I want them all. ;) I guess it's it's better to have too many options, rather than none.....

How important is spelling for K? I'm leaning towards no separate spelling this year, but sometimes I worry that I should.

Phonics Pathways seems to get the job done based on reviews, but I see people describing it as dry. In the sample I saw, there were  lot of suggested games- any opinions on it being more dry vs. fun for a five year old?

Any insight on Phonics Pathways vs. Modern Curriculum Press Phonics?

Again, thank you. This board is always so helpful. ;)

I'm new, and just starting homeschooling my first child. But I have decided, for now, to wait until he's writing more to do a separate spelling program. I think when he's doing official copywork on a regular basis it will make more sense to add in spelling.

Thanks, everyone...still narrowing it down.

I think I'm definitely going to go with Right Start. Still on the fence on whether to add LoF, MR, or MEP because I want them all. ;) I guess it's it's better to have too many options, rather than none.....

How important is spelling for K? I'm leaning towards no separate spelling this year, but sometimes I worry that I should.

Phonics Pathways seems to get the job done based on reviews, but I see people describing it as dry. In the sample I saw, there were  lot of suggested games- any opinions on it being more dry vs. fun for a five year old?

Any insight on Phonics Pathways vs. Modern Curriculum Press Phonics?

Again, thank you. This board is always so helpful. ;)

I didn't do spelling until my daughter was reading on a 2nd-3rd grade level. I plan to do the same for my younger daughter. I just feel like it's too much LA otherwise, but of course it depends on the child!

• 2 months later...

Do remember that Kindy used to just be learning colors, numbers, letters and play. When you get the urge to add more and more, remember that. Remember that kids didn't start school until 7 here, and in many places still don't. There is no need to rush. Let them spend most of the day playing. 

We do CLE Math 100, AAR 1, and A Reason for Handwriting. That's it. Everything else is some read alouds for fun (I keep a book a poetry and a story book on the table by the couch), documentaries on tv at night with the family, free expression art, etc. And some general memory work like address, full name, beginning to learn some prayers, etc. Most of that is done on the car while driving places, lol. 

• Like 1

Thank you....I'm going to go with my gut and skip spelling this year. I'd rather her feel free to write and not worry about spelling.

I think it is totally fine to skip spelling in K.  If you did decide you wanted to include spelling I highly recommend Spelling You See A.  It would be a very gentle, and quick introduction to spelling.

• Like 1

For Kindergarten I like the basics.

• All About Reading Level 1 (or Pre if they're not ready)
  • RightStart, so another vote for that. No way my oldest would've been ready to start B in K. My younger probably will be beyond B before K. It really depends on your kid. Look at the samples.
  • HWT (recommend using the student book plus the iPad app and CD)

Beyond that all you'll have to do is pick some type of enrichment, whether you will do that yourself my choosing books and read alouds at the library or would prefer something open and go with boxes to check.

I've done FIAR, but I also like using MP's Read Aloud list along with the craft book.

Have fun!

• Like 1

No comment on LA, we're using 100 easy lessons, explode the code, d'nealian handwriting and doodles abc and 123

For math. Mathematical Reasoning is a great program at this age. Also, don't be afraid to use a few curriculum in tandem (but be sure that you're prepared to skip repetitive pages!) We use MR, LoF, some Singapore 'extra' books, and '2 + 2 is not 5', and I intend to throw beast academy in there in a year or two. My kids are bright with math and I choose to make their math lessons longer than most people, we do NOT do every page of every program though (except LoF). In fact, I find I skip about half the pages in MR these days, but I keep it because it covers those bits and pieces that fall through the cracks that the other programs, all incomplete, don't do much with, like ascending/descending order and measurement. And it allows me extra practice pages on concepts they're struggling with from a fresh perspective. Point is, you can do more than one math quite easily so long as you don't expect to do every page of each, and their pros and cons complement each other. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies. :)

We're a couple months into kindergarten now, and this is what's sticking:

Oak Meadow Kindergarten as spine for health, language/math/science stories and crafts

Wee Folk Art Simple Seasons for science, literature, and crafts

Phonics Pathways

RightStart Mathematics A

Evan-Moor Geography

D'Nealian Little Books for handwriting

I purchased LoF Apples, and it's okay but not great as this point. We've read a bit here and there, and will continue to do so, but it's not an "official" part of our plans. Wee Folk Art suggests journal pages, but my daughter was uncharacteristically reluctant to do them, so we stopped and added in the D'Nealian Little Books. My daughter writes notes all day long, so I'm not really worried about her practicing writing, I'd just like to make sure she learns the correct forms.

Again, thank you all for your help. This forum is a treasure.