Menu

Geometry after algebra---will they forget algebra if they use one year geometry?

I don't have a high schooler yet-he is in 7th and starting algebra-but was wondering if the sequence for math is algebra-geometry-algebra I I , won't they forget algebra if they're focusing on geometry for one year? My son is very quick at getting math,but also needs a lot of practice and review so he won't forget. He is usually good with arithmetic,I.e. Decimals,fractions,etc,but I'm afraid he will need at least some review of algebra during his geometry year. Is there some practice of algebra concepts in a typical geometry book or do I have to supplement ?

Yes, the typical sequence is alg 1, geo, alg 2. Geometry is the alg 1 review.  They have to use their alg 1 concepts to complete geo. Whereas if you did alg 1, alg 2, and then geo, there'd be a whole year of geo for alg 2 to fall out of their brain because they're not using it at all.

• Like 6

I am using Singapore Math for highschool.  It's an integrated approach that builds on what you've learned and includes review exercises throughout.  My daughter, who is focusing on music and is not terribly interested in math can work through this cirriculum with very little help from me. Yet it covers the full spectrum (plus some I think) of a highschool math cirriculum - Algrebra I, II, Geometry and Probablity/Statistics in just the first two books. If you want to go on to pre-calc, you can do the third book.

• Like 1

You can use a geometry program that has an algebra review built in (for example, Jacobs Geometry does this).  Also, algebra is used in geometry.

But the short answer is yes, they might forget some Algebra I during their geometry year.  This is why many Algebra II texts contain so much review.

• Like 3

I don't have a high schooler yet-he is in 7th and starting algebra-but was wondering if the sequence for math is algebra-geometry-algebra I I , won't they forget algebra if they're focusing on geometry for one year? My son is very quick at getting math,but also needs a lot of practice and review so he won't forget. He is usually good with arithmetic,I.e. Decimals,fractions,etc,but I'm afraid he will need at least some review of algebra during his geometry year. Is there some practice of algebra concepts in a typical geometry book or do I have to supplement ?

Take a look at the specific text you plan to use.  He'll need to use some algebra to do the geometry work (just like he'll use some geometry to do the algebra II work).  If you look at the problems in the geometry text, you'll get an idea of exactly which aspects of his algebra I work will be exercised in that particular text, and that should help you to pinpoint exactly what (if anything) you will need to find elsewhere for review.  You may also want to check the algebra II text you plan to use, to see how much review of algebra I and geometry is included, so you know the timeline the text is using to get to mastery.  I've found that looking through the texts in a particular series really helps me to understand how they work, which in turn helps me to decide how to use them.  Typically, a particular skill is "sampled" in one year, taught more thoroughly the next year, reviewed and used in more complex problems the year after that, and assumed to be mastered in the years beyond.  In addition, texts often have a lot of "hey, remember this?" in the first chapter, and also in the first lesson for each unit.  This isn't as much the case (or as obvious) in high school as it is in elementary and middle school texts, so it's worth looking at the particular books you plan to use.

• Like 1

Thank you,that great to hear that Jacobs has algebra review. I plan to use that.

Debs,which Singapore math for high school are you using? My son has used 1-6 for elementary and we both loved it,but I did not know they have a high school option. I bought forester algebra and it looks great,but a bit dry and very hard to break it up in small lessons like Singapore . I'm afraid he won't like it. He is only 11,almost 12, and even if he is able to do the work,I don't think he has the maturity for such an intensive text...

For those who have used Jacobs algebra, would you recommend it instead of foerster? (Sorry,not sure if I spelled it right)

My oldest ds used Teaching Textbooks and did Geometry in between Alg 1 and 2 without difficulties, but math comes easily to him.  My middle ds used Prentice Hall Geometry this last year following Lial Algebra 1.  The Prentice Hall had some kind of algebra review workbook problems in nearly every lesson.  We'll be heading back to Lial for Alg 2 in the fall, hoping that it won't be a difficult transition back to algebra.

Blessedmom3 - I'm using Singapore New Elementary Mathematics. Don't let the work 'elementary' throw you off - it means something different in Singapore! Looking over the books again, you'd have to go through level 3A to get all of what would be considered Algebra II.  There are 4 books total, but the 4th book is more like what would be 1st year college or advanced highschool math in the US. So, how far you go with the books just depends on what your child is going for.

If you've used Singapore 1 - 6, the format will be familiar.  You'll do a couple of chapters of new material using the text and the workbook and then a bunch of review problems in the workbook. My daughter used Singapore 1 - 6 successfully and now prefers Singapore New Elementary Mathematics to other cirriculums that we've reviewed. I would say that if it worked for your son in elementary school the next step up will work for him also.

I did check out the Singapore site and saw that they now longer offer the level 3 and 4 books. I'm not sure why. But, they do still have the Level 1 and 2 books available.

• Like 1

Yes, the typical sequence is alg 1, geo, alg 2. Geometry is the alg 1 review.  They have to use their alg 1 concepts to complete geo. Whereas if you did alg 1, alg 2, and then geo, there'd be a whole year of geo for alg 2 to fall out of their brain because they're not using it at all.

This is what I've told parents for years now. It also used to be true that the PSAT had quite a bit of Geometry on it, so I recommended that students get that year of Geometry in by their sophomore year. But the new PSAT will only have a couple of Geometry problems, and more advanced Algebra problems, so it may be better to get Algebra 2 in before junior year. 

• Like 1

Another option is doing an algebra 1 review during the summer between geometry and algebra 2.

I teach a workshop each Summer that I call "Algebra Refresher for Students Taking Algebra 2 After a Year of Geometry".  :laugh:

A Google search will turn up several nice packets of worksheets  with material appropriate for such review. Evidently this is an issue in regular schools, too. 

• Like 1

Our 2 have done their math sequence differently, but scored the same in the end.  One took Alg 1, Geom, Alg 2, Stats, College Alg  /  One took Alg 1, Alg 2, Geom, Pre-Calc.  No difference in test scores, so I'd say it didn't hurt either one to do it the way they did.  Whatever fits the schedule or their preference should be fine.  

Thank you,that great to hear that Jacobs has algebra review. I plan to use that.

Debs,which Singapore math for high school are you using? My son has used 1-6 for elementary and we both loved it,but I did not know they have a high school option. I bought forester algebra and it looks great,but a bit dry and very hard to break it up in small lessons like Singapore . I'm afraid he won't like it. He is only 11,almost 12, and even if he is able to do the work,I don't think he has the maturity for such an intensive text...

For those who have used Jacobs algebra, would you recommend it instead of foerster? (Sorry,not sure if I spelled it right)

My daughter did Singapore Math through 6b, then moved over to Galore Park Maths 2 & 3 for pre-algebra before starting Foersters. Going straight from Singapore 6 to Algebra 1 would have been quite a jump (in content and format) and I can't imagine missing out on middle school math.

• Like 1