Menu

transitional chapter books (Like Mercy Watson, Kingdom of Wrenly, Princess in Black)

My daughter wants more of these! We do good literary read-alouds, and I assign her literary chapter books, but she's getting the "reading for enjoyment" vibe. I don't want to squelch it!  A lot of her free reading comes before bed, when she's a little tired, so these transitional chapter books are a good fit.

But: many seem pretty terrible. 

She's read and enjoyed the Wrenly series, the Princess in Black, Bink and Gollie, and all of the Mercy Watson/Leroy Ninker books. Oh! Also the Judy Moody and Friends series.

Any good suggestions? If not, we're stuck with Unicorn Magic and Mermaid Magic and Derivative Little Girl Genre Fiction.* 

• Like 2

I have kids at the same stage.  So far they've enjoyed...

Secrets of Droon

Dragon Masters

Magic Treehouse

Boxcar Children

Catwings

My Father's Dragon

books by Kevin Henkes 

Thank you for your recommendations - I hadn't heard of the Princess in Black.  We're going to give that one a try.

• Like 2

The Lighthouse Family and Cobble Street Cousins by Cynthia Rylant are in this category. Also Tomie de Paola's Fairmont Avenue series. And both are excellent.

Also, the Lulu books are so funny and sweet and they're very close to the Mercy Watson level.

Moongobble is a little longer and harder - closer to Magic Treehouse level - but still on the short and easy end. Ivy and Bean is also on the easy end of chapter book series. And all the various Ready to Read Chapters and Trophy Chapter books are on the easy end - like The Stories Julian Tells, The Minstrel in the Tower, The Chalk Box Kid... My boys especially liked The Seven Treasure Hunts.

Also... there are a lot of graphic novels in this level - Flying Beaver Brothers, Lunch Lady, Babymouse, etc. etc.

• Like 2

When we were in England my dd picked up a set that is very fun and cute. The first book is called The Worst Witch, and it looks like they are available via Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0763672602?qid=1437800469&sr=8-2&vs=1

I almost mentioned these. And the Oliver Moon ones. Really, I have the impression that there are more trade paperbacks in this level that are only popular in the UK than we see here, which is sort of interesting.

• Like 2

I almost mentioned these. And the Oliver Moon ones. Really, I have the impression that there are more trade paperbacks in this level that are only popular in the UK than we see here, which is sort of interesting.

Definitely:)

We spent several hours at a Waterstones perusing just this type and would have bought a LOT more if we had room in our suitcases. My dd also fell in love with Enid Blyton collections like The Wishing Chair and The Faraway Tree books, as well as the St. Claire and Malory Towers sets.

There were so many more interesting options, and I felt like the quality of writing was much better even at the most beginning of chapter books.

• Like 1

When we were in England my dd picked up a set that is very fun and cute. The first book is called The Worst Witch, and it looks like they are available via Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0763672602?qid=1437800469&sr=8-2&vs=1

Yes, my (then) 8 year old enjoyed this one last year. 

The littles and I read The Enchanted Tree by Enid Blyton last year, and it was their favorite read aloud of the year. My now 6 year says it was the best book. 

Here are some my reader enjoyed last year in that category:

Did someone mention The Chicken Squad?

Also, Emma and the Blue Genie

The Chocolate Touch

The Stories Julian Tells

Clementine series

Flat Stanley

Anna Hibiscus (we have not done this one, but it looks good)

My Father's Dragon (there are 3 in this series)

Gooney Bird Green

Stink (brother to Judy Moody)

Ling and Ting: Not Exactly the Same!

The Three Little Princesses (there are 2 or 3 others, 3 little pirates/mermaids, I believe)

Happy reading!

• Like 2

Aside for those mentioned, my daughter also liked magic school bus (house!) chapter books. She loved Hugo Cabret, Wonderstruck, and the Houdini Box -- they aren't really chapter books but they seem to fill that same need of longer story without being endless pages of uninterrupted words.