Menu

Math on the Level--reviews?

Cricket

Has anyone used Math on the Level?  Any thoughts?  I'm wanting to switch from Saxon.  I have three kids at the elementary/middle school level.  One just starting 5/4, one about a third of the way through 6/5 and another halfway through 8/7--he might just stick with that since he's almost to Algebra anyway).  We are all sick of Saxon.  I want something were it is easier to keep track of exactly what concepts the kids are missing or doing well with.  Something with more of a mastery approach.  

Looks like there is definitely a learning curve for mom though with this program.  Is it sound academically?  I was thinking of Teaching Textbooks but have read many places that they are below grade level.

Crazy amount of teacher prep.  Mom writes the worksheets every day.  It's a good idea if you like to create your own assignments for your kids and if you are often frustrated trying to find where to place your kiddo in a math workbook. Would be a great, snuggly way to  do math for a math phobic kid.  Only pick problems and games they can do, introduce new topic VERY slowly, etc.  It's WAY too much time required for me, though.

Becky

• Like 1

My friend likes it a lot. She was a physics major at a top-5 physics institution.

The more I read about research on what makes math instruction good, the more reluctant I am to write my own problems in general.

But, then again, I use RightStart math which was written by someone who had taught Montessori math before getting a PhD in math instruction.

Emily

You don't need to use MOTL as suggested. You can just review some past stuff each week without turning it into such sytemstic review.

There are not enough supplied problems. You will need a problem bank of some kind.

It's a bit awkward to juggle all books for all levels. If you were going away for a couple weeks you would need to bring the whole stack of books.

I splurged on the curriculum just as I was experiencing a major life change that made it impossible for me to have all the books handy all the time. It got shoved aside and never really used.

If my life were different and I were home all day with just one special needs kid, this would be my first pick of a curriculum. That's not my life right now.

I know the OP has already made her decision but I thought I'd add my 2 cents for anyone else looking for reviews.  

Crazy amount of teacher prep.  Mom writes the worksheets every day.  It's a good idea if you like to create your own assignments for your kids and if you are often frustrated trying to find where to place your kiddo in a math workbook. Would be a great, snuggly way to  do math for a math phobic kid.  Only pick problems and games they can do, introduce new topic VERY slowly, etc.  It's WAY too much time required for me, though.

Becky

:iagree:   It was a *very* time-consuming curriculum choice and I could not make it work either.  That said, I do like their 5-a-day review approach, but you would not need to buy the whole curriculum to implement that part.