Menu

Looking for Writing - Like a Consumer Writing Course

I'm looking for something that would help my son in real life.  I'm thinking a writing course that's setup like a Consumer Math course.  Is there anything like that out there.  I did a quick search of Power Basics, but didn't find what I was looking for.  If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

Found this:

http://www.maine.gov/doe/adulted/admin/curriculum/process-writing.pdf

I used the search term "high school business writing" to find the above and several others. 

This site offers a very comprehensive set of lessons:

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/681/01/

ETA:  I am using PLATO comprehensive online lessons, splitting the various lessons between three kids.  Some of the langauge arts materials are written at the middle school level and my 5th/6th grader are doing OK with those while my freshman is working through one of the 9th grade offerings.  I'm not sure what classes come in the Language Arts only package since we have the comprehensive, but it might be worth a look.  If you want a written curricula, I would look at bookstores for a basic business communication or writing course. 

We will use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-English-Skills-Writing-Answers/dp/0521705940/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1437648109&sr=1-4&keywords=Real+writing+skills+4

ETA:

Sorry, I missed on what board this post was.

But maybe one of the levels could work.

level 1 was what we needed for EFL grade 8, level 3-4 is what we need for EFL grade 12

I checked the local community college and they use Essentials of Business Communication by Mary Ellen Guffey in their Business English course. Used editions are available inexpensively so it might be a good reference for you as teacher even if it's too advanced for your DS.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll check them all out.  Not sure they are quite right but maybe.  I'm thinking more along the lines of life skills writing maybe.  For example, how to fill out applications, forms, write business emails/letters, that kind of thing.  Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be doing college so want to prepare him for the rest.  He is doing well with Essentials in Writing in case he does go further than expected but it doesn't cover this type of thing.  

Thanks,

T For example, how to fill out applications, forms, write business emails/letters, that kind of thing. 

Wordsmith and Jensen's Format writing have sections on that but the bulk of those programs are on traditional academic writing so I'm not sure whether they're what you're looking for.