Menu

AAR 4 or ETC 6&7 to finish phonics?

Katydid

My dd is going into 4th grade next year and is slightly dyslexic (no formal eval, just suspected). She has made good strides with her reading this year, but I would say she is reading at about a 3rd grade level. Her spelling, however, is really behind. We have slowly been doing AAS (she's about 1/4 of the way through level 2) but it's just not working for us. It's too fiddly and I hadn't really been making it a priority, as I wanted to increase her reading fluency before we concentrated too much on spelling.

So this year, I want to switch to Apples & Pears spelling for her, but I also want her to finish up a phonics program. She has gone through All About Reading levels 1-3 (she's almost finished with level three) and Explode the Code levels 1-6. She will be doing Oak Meadow 4 this year, so I thought doing AAR 4 as well might be too much for her. She doesn't love the readers from AAR as much as I hoped she would and the literary stuff they cover I think would be covered well enough in OM. 

I thought about just doing getting the TM and activity book for AAR4 and just do the non-reader lessons to let her finish out the phonics learning (she does love the activities!). But then I think that is awfully expensive and wasteful if we're only using half the program. So then I thought she could just finish up the last two ETC books because she really does like those and I think she learned just as much form them as she did from AAR. But I wasn't sure if they covered the same stuff as AAR4... syllabication, de-coding larger words, etc. 

I don't want to overload her.... I know the amount of work in A&P and OM will be challenging enough for her. But I also don't want to leave her with an incomplete phonics education and have her struggling when she gets to higher levels of reading.

Help?