Menu

Toilet Training You Cat?

BigMamaBird

Has anyone ever successfully toilet trained your cat?  Do you know of anyone who has?  Is it more mess than it's worth or do the heavens open and the angels sing?  Any tips you could give me?  

We have a wee little 7 week old kitten and a 1.5 year old adult cat.  I figured we could use our master bath for training since the kids don't use it and it's quiet and private (most of the time.)

I sure would appreciate any input you could give me.

We did. It was some time ago.

Once cat was able to use the toilet, but one couldn't get the hang of it. The last step where you remove the pot with litter was to much for her. So we had to keep the litter, and the cat that could use the toilet just went back to using the litter.

But if you are four adults in a house with only one toilet, it can be really annoying to have to wait for the toilet because the cat is using it.

• Like 5

But if you are four adults in a house with only one toilet, it can be really annoying to have to wait for the toilet because the cat is using it.

That's hilarious!!  

"Fluffy!!  You've been in there five minutes!  We've got a line out here!  Hurry up!"

• Like 4

That's hilarious!!  

"Fluffy!!  You've been in there five minutes!  We've got a line out here!  Hurry up!"

Once we were playing a board game in the dinning room. I think we even had a guest over. The table lined up so you could look into the bathroom and at the toilet. Rosebud must have been constipated since she was sitting on the toilet and meowing loudly while trying to "go". 

You also have to get used to finding little turds floating in the toilet. 

• Like 1

I tried really hard to do this when my two were kittens.  One was doing pretty good.  The other would not go #2 on the toilet.  He went on the floor in the corner of the bathroom instead.  I would go down to the washroom when it was clear he had to go and stay in there for 20 minutes or more repeatedly placing him on the toilet where, many times, he would eventually go and then be rewarded.  He wouldn't ever go on his own and eventually I gave up.  

• Like 1

I've already potty trained a herd of kids, I assume training a cat can't be THAT much harder.  I mean, it's not like I have to worry about them wetting themselves in the grocery store.  

Potty training was very difficult around here. 

But true about wetting themselves at the grocery store.  LOL

• Like 1

Once we were playing a board game in the dinning room. I think we even had a guest over. The table lined up so you could look into the bathroom and at the toilet. Rosebud must have been constipated since she was sitting on the toilet and meowing loudly while trying to "go". 

You also have to get used to finding little turds floating in the toilet. 

My sons have an inborn inability to flush despite constant reminders, so it won't really be that big of an adjustment.

• Like 1

I had a college roommate who did this. One bathroom. Roommate who didn't clean up well. I put up with it, but was not a fan.

Is there a lot of clean up?  Do they miss a lot?  I'm just curious as to whether it would really make my life that much easier than daily litter box cleaning.  

I did it long ago in my pre-kid days and don't really recommend it. I wouldn't do it again. It took a lot of patience, but was pretty cool once she was trained. Then we moved houses and she was unable to transfer the skill to the new place. I have this suspicioun it made the cat more neurotic than she already was, but maybe she would have been just as strange either way. I will say I would 1000x rather have a kid pee in the wrong place than a cat, so I woud tend to avoid anything that might lead to that. Cat urine is just vile. Fortunately our neurotic cat was very good in the litter box habits arena, so she never had an issue peeing anywhere but where we put the litter (in the toilet pan in this case)

Regarding the bolded, was she able to use different toilets in your original home or did the skill only apply to one particular toilet?

The cat that my family had when I was a teen trained himself. It was IN-SANE. I still can't get over that. And the way we discovered it was that a friend and I were hanging out after we'd had the cat for about a year. We suddenly heard someone in the bathroom, clearly peeing. We freaked out because we'd been talking about something private - I totally can't remember what anymore, but I remember we both froze thinking that either my mother or brother must have just overheard us when we thought we were alone in the house. I called out a hello, but no response. I advanced toward the bathroom and suddenly the cat came tearing out there like he'd just been caught ripping up the sofa or something. We about died laughing.

• Like 3