Menu

perimenopause and skipping periods

dancer67

I am 47. (48 in November). Periods have come every month, although can be different times. Sometimes day 22, up to day 29 for about 2 years now.

I had a normal period beginning of May. 2 weeks later I got it again, but it wasn't like a real period. It was very light. That was on May 23rd.

I haven't had a period since. No signs of getting it either. Not pregnant.

So, it has been a wonderful break. But I am new to all this. Is there any reason why I should see my GYN? I was just there in March. All was fine.

My mother went into menopause at 48. According to her, she got her period as normal, and never got another one. My MIL said the same thing.

I would hate to run to the Dr's every time I skip periods.

TSH levels are fine.

I am just wondering that when women start going through this, do they see their GYN all the time? Or just ride it out, be happy that you are not getting that dreaded Auntie Flo every month?

Thanks ladies.

I'm 49. I have skipped 5 months, 4 months, 2 months, and been late by 2-3 weeks over the past four years. My doctor (female) says it's perfectly normal, no big deal, and to only see her should the bleeding increase greatly by periods becoming significantly longer or closer together than my "usual" 26-29 days. (I had a stretch of two years around 40 when my cycle was 22-23 days. She said that was perfectly normal as well.)

• Like 2

I'm almost 41 and have had the opposite problem. My blood work shows that I am in early perimenopause. Instead of skipping periods I just had one for two months straight. I tried two rounds of Provera and it didn't help at all. I had a normal ultrasound. I then was put on BCP and it finally stopped the bleeding. I did take it for two months but I was so cranky I had to come off.

I've been off for about 5 weeks and so far so good. I had a normal 7 day period and it stopped on it's own. I'm anticipating having a bumpy ride the next few years.

Getting older is no joke!

Elise in NC

I've been skipping for the last 6 months. A year ago things started getting wacky. I had 3 AFs in 2 months and horrible yeast infections in between those. I went to my GYN who put me on the Pill. I really didn't want to do that, so I was on it about 6 months, found some herbal supplements that helped with my out of control mood swings, and now this year AF comes every other month. I've been to my GYN 3 times in the last year and she really has nothing to say. These things are normal and I just have to live with it. I am 47, too, btw. And the hot flashes have been getting progressive, worse. A year or two ago I got them occasionally. Now, I probably get a dozen or more a day.

Mine started that way - irregular and skipped periods. It probably isn't a bad idea to see your gyn to rule something else out, but it's quite normal for your age. The worst part was I had to carry supplies with me because I never knew when I would start. Before that I was so regular I could almost pinpoint the time of day I would start. It was quite an adjustment. 

mine became as regular as clockwork for a few years (they'd never been regular), before I started skipping.  the whackadoodle mood swings were the worst.  

I started on relora for months to get my adrenals under control for the mood swings  I don't take it anymore, and my moods are much better.  yoga also helped with my moods.  I can still tell if something's coming because my mood will change.

some are light, some are heavy. some are months, some weeks,