Menu

Help me name our book club/literature circle without using any of these words...

ereks mom

I don't want the name to contain the words "book," "read(ing)," or "literature."  I want it to be something that my reading-phobic students will think sounds "mature" and not silly or juvenile, and at the same time, I want the name to at least HINT that it is, indeed, a book club / reading club / literature club.  FWIW, I think it's really more of a guided reading group than a book club, but the connotation of something that's "exclusive" like a club should go over pretty well.  We will be reading and discussing the books together--no outside reading, but perhaps some simple outside writing assignments, such as predicting what a particular character will do, or listing a few questions they'd like to discuss.  Tall order, I know! 

Okay, the Inklings comment got me to thinking...  What do you think of Inkheart or Inkspell (but not Inkdeath ;)) as a book club name? 

I found this (about the Inkheart book series) and I think it fits the way I want our book club to be perceived.  It points out that the main characters "have the unusual ability to bring characters from books into the real world when reading aloud.  ...The central story arc concerns the magic of books, their characters and creatures, and the art of reading." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkheart_trilogy)

Okay, the Inklings comment got me to thinking...  What do you think of Inkheart or Inkspell (but not Inkdeath ;)) as a book club name? 

I found this (about the Inkheart book series) and I think it fits the way I want our book club to be perceived.  It points out that the main characters "have the unusual ability to bring characters from books into the real world when reading aloud.  ...The central story arc concerns the magic of books, their characters and creatures, and the art of reading." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkheart_trilogy)

I wouldn't use the name of books for the name of a group. 

Some people are so Anti-magic they wouldn't attend, or let their child attend a class with the word 'spell' in it.

I wouldn't use the name of books for the name of a group. 

Some people are so Anti-magic they wouldn't attend, or let their child attend a class with the word 'spell' in it.

I thought about that but then decided I liked it anyway. ;)

And these girls are the ones I teach every day, so they'll be here anyway.  But yeah, I might run it past their moms just to be sure, if I decide to go with one of the names I mentioned.

Thanks!

Inkheart sounds girly to me and Inkspell sounds like work to me.   Not that either one bothers me personally, but it might not be appealing to teens.  I like The Inklings.

I do teach only girls, and I think I like the girly sound of Inkheart.  But I also like Inklings.  Except that it HAS already been done.  ;)  Still thinking...

Inkheart sounds girly to me and Inkspell sounds like work to me.   Not that either one bothers me personally, but it might not be appealing to teens.  I like The Inklings.

In HS we called our Litmag group Inklings. (Yes we had Tolkien fans. And CS Lewis. And we were mostly girls.)

So indeed, it was appealing to teens.

• Like 1