Menu

8th grade history MOH or History Odyssey

bishop

I'm trying to decide which curriculum to use for History (ancient times) for my 8th grader.  I am considering doing MOH volume 1 or HIstory Odyssey and using the kingfisher Encyclopedia along with The Human Odyssey. Can you please tell me the pro's and con's to either.  I do want his history  to be enjoyable but I do expect him to work and have to regurgitate what he has learned.  Which should I use???

Do you have other ages of children too?

I'm asking because we used MOH Vol I last year with my then 9th and 7th and 5th and 1st graders. After reading MOH, the oldest listened to Annenberg Learner Western Civilization lectures online with me and took notes and discussed with me, and the middles had additional reading with The Human Odyssey and discussed with me. MOH worked very well for us because it was something we could all read together as a starting point and then everybody except the 1st grader could take off on their own supplements according to grade level. But I don't think I would have used MOH Vol I for my oldest by himself. It would be way too basic for him as a spine by himself.

Hope that helps!