Menu

Severe Phonological Disorder

Guest PickMomma

Guest PickMomma

I have a 2 year old with a severe phonological disorder. Up until 2.5 she was ONLY saying vowels (except for Momma and Daddy). She has just this month started trying to say consonants in other words but it is a struggle for her.

I'm just curious if there is anyone else out there that has had a child with a severe phonological disorder. What all did you do to help? How long did it take for them to be intelligible, etc?

Sounds like my son. How's her receptive language? Does she understand others? Usually both are delayed together, but sometimes just her expression.

Definitely needs to be in speech therapy. Has anyone considered verbal apraxia?

If intelligence and expressive language is closer to normal, then consider teaching sign language - it opened up the doors for my son to express all sorts of things - eventually his language caught up.

The book, "The Late Talker", really helped me in how to think about my son's language. Also in that we naturally use "baby talk" when kids are babies, but as they get older sometimes we need to continue just to get them to say sounds.

Guest PickMomma

Yes, it's not apraxia.

Her receptive language is okay. Sometimes it seems really good, but then there are sometimes she just doesn't "get" what you are trying to say. Like she's really bad at answering questions. But she's pretty good at following commands.

She talks non stop...it's just "-a-, --eee-- ou-"...like a whole paragraph of that! And sometimes we don't understand anything she's saying.

Not to sound like a broken record, but have you gotten her a full audiology exam? Vowels are low-frequency while consonants tend to be middle & high frequency. So I would strongly encourage you to take her to an audiologist for a full exam, just to make sure she's hearing within normal limits the full spectrum.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We have done years of articulation therapy (no language delay) for my son who came to me (as a foster child at 3) only speaking in vowels.  He has had hearing tests every 3-6 months the last four years, got tubes at 4. 

He was released from speech therapy at the end of May after the therapist has pushed to have him qualify the last two times.  

I can't understand most of what he says on a normal basis.  He has to REALLY enunciate and slow down to do it.  

My baby's therapist said it's Apraxia and we have now gotten the ball rolling for him to have therapy with her.  She expects that he will make quick progress.  She also said it will help his reading and writing!  YAY!  

I don't know.  But that is my experience so far.