Menu

Help! How to "repeat 7th grade"

RHmama

I think you'd call the office of the school district you live in. Alternately, if there is a big homeschoolers' association, you might ask there first. Someone may have tried it out before.

But If I were you, I wouldn't poke the skunk.

OT, but I love this expression! I'd not heard it before.

• Like 1

and be very prepared that whatever answer you get, there will be a totally different one the next time you talk to someone.  I can't tell you how many times I have had dealings with the district office only to be told contradictory information by the same person. I took notes of every conversation and kept names etc and I still got different answers every time. When I would point this out I would get no explanation, just a shrug. 

So, even though you may get told that if you keep him home a year there will be no problem having him admitted as an 8th grader, you need to accept the fact that when the time comes you might not get what you want no matter what you were told and by whom. If that is something you can live with, and it might be, then go for it.

• Like 1

Official resources:

1. Reading through the educational code on your state board of education website.

2. Asking the principal and superintendent what their policy is, without fully trusting that it will remain so.

3. Methodically calling every private school in your area, to see whether any are secular and whether any would do it.

4. Methodically calling every public charter in your area.

5. Investigating online charter options.

6. Investigating homeschool curriculum to do this on your own.

The message board here could probably give you a ton of resources if you wanted to gather homeschool curriculum options...there are gifted learners here, struggling learners here, people who've done a gap year within homeschooling (not going back to public, though, but completely on our own through graduation).  A few people here may have experience with online charters or with local charters that are partial homeschool, like university models.

However, all of that becomes a moot point if you strike out on your state laws or your local district allowing it. (besides all of the reasons not to do it that have been discussed ad nauseum). If your local district or state law indicate a viable loophole, then it becomes a matter of narrowing it down to which format is most likely to fit the loophole.

You'll probably get the most response once you get that far.  For example: "I've eliminated all of the local charter options, so now I want to compare K-12 with Connections Academy (two online options)." or "What math could you recommend for a gap year at home, for a child who has finished Algebra I but doesn't want to start the next math for another year?"  But for the moment, while your topic is still very broad and hypothetical, hinging on whether your district would squash your attempt or not, I'm afraid it's likely to keep on circling around the notion of "it's probably not allowed, and probably not advisable."  

I'd encourage your husband to read through the opinions here, especially since many of us were young in our grade, or had children we pulled out of the school system for being too young.  His experience went poorly, so I empathize with wanting to correct that for your son, but the general consensus seems to be that your son isn't quite so bad off, having never accelerated, and it's better leaving well enough alone at this point.  Those of us who have pulled children out have mostly homeschooled for the long-term, continuing through graduation, or perhaps sending them back to their original grade after several years of catching up.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...