Menu

Help me find a Bible that's easy on the eyes

shinyhappypeople

I want to buy 11 yo DD a Bible in a modern translation (NIV or similar) that is easy to read from a visual standpoint: larger print (14 pt or above), plenty of white space and, if possible, doesn't look like an old lady Bible.  

DD has convergence insufficiency (her eyes have trouble working together to focus on close-up work, so words "swim" and have shadows).  She has many months of of VT in front of her but, as she's a new Christian (yay!), I want her to have a copy of Scriptures that she can read while we work out the vision stuff.

The large print Bibles I've seen seem look visually cluttered (little white space).  

I'm totally open to buying her just a New Testament.  I don't care if it has all the extras (maps, notes, etc).

Any leads for me?  

I don't have specific recommendations for you, but when I saw your post, immediately thought of DS when in VT. He had/has convergence insuffiency as well. So I am stopping in to suggest that you look for something for the visually impaired. We have dictionaries that have the NAVH seal, and DH could manage to read those, even before VT was finished. Maybe searching for that would help.

• Like 1

Your best bet is just to go to the Christian bookstore and look.

I like Bibles with text across the whole page instead of in columns because it is less cluttered and easier to read.

A large print with a soft cover may seem less adult-like. Or just with a fun, 11yo sort of Bible cover on it?

• Like 2

Here is ChristianBook.com 's listing of Bibles with font sizes 14-16.

In general, if you find a Bible that you like, the other Bibles from the same publisher will have the same layout in all their versions (covers - leather, imitation leather, hardback, paperback, etc.) of the same type. That way,  you can more easily find what you want.

Best wishes.

• Like 2

The tricky part is finding one that has plenty of white space.

I hope you find what you need. Just some encouragement: it gets better pretty quickly. When starting VT, it feels like it will be forever. But it goes fast, and she'll be making improvements. DS can read ingredient labels now - the tiny ones! Woo hoo! Just yesterday, I was marveling that he was reading a book with small print.

So, know that if you don't find an immediate solution, your options will expand soon.

• Like 1

This one is close to what I want.

I really like the paragraph format (thank you to ScoutTN for mentioning that as an option).  I also like the bolded section headers, but the verse references next to them makes it look cluttered.  

I just want to get her a Bible without all the extras.  Large font, plenty of white space, no visual clutter.  I'm still looking, but glad I found something close.  I'm getting warmer....

Kindle Paperwhite. I know, electronic Bibles are icky. I can read a regular Bible for about 20 minutes on a good day. I can read on my Kindle for about 2 hours on a bad day. Go to Best Buy and check them out. $120. Sorry. It's worth it. It really is.

Kindle Paperwhite. I know, electronic Bibles are icky. I can read a regular Bible for about 20 minutes on a good day. I can read on my Kindle for about 2 hours on a bad day. Go to Best Buy and check them out. $120. Sorry. It's worth it. It really is.

This reminded me of what I was thinking last night.  I have the ESV app on my iPad and iPhone.  It is presented in paragraph form, not the two columns.  You can change settings for font, font size, background (white, sepia or black), turn on/off red letter, some other options too.  It has several reading plans built into the app (chronological, memory plan, etc.) and you can even turn on the audio setting if you want to hear it rather than read it.  The name of the app is ESV Bible (Crossway).  

We have a large print hardback ESV that is our family bible. Nice translation and easy to read, the font is about a 12 point and in a style that is easy to read. No squinting.