Menu

I need new prescription sunglasses. Do I need progressive lenses?

Rose in BC

I have bifocals instead of progressives. I just got a pair of rx sunglasses and took them back to get bifocal sunglasses. I really needed to be able to read in sunglasses. Because I'd left my regular pair at home, I couldn't read a darn thing in the grocery store. Then when I was waiting in the car, I was unable to read my kindle. I also couldn't read the gps. If you have AAA, check to see if it covers sunglasses! Ours did.

For years I wore glasses that had a clip on sunglass. When I went into progressive glasses for the first time, I too couldn't find one that offered a clip on sunglass, so I decided to just get prescritption sunglasses with the bifocal rather than the progressive lens. They work fine for reading, just a little different.

I will say though that it gets real old changing glasses over and over. I must change glasses upon entering the car if it is sunny. Then taking them off and putting on my regular glasses before going into the store, only to return to the car and having the need to switch glasses ONCE again. I will never buy prescription sunglasses again. I WILL find a clip on if it kills me!!

I don't know if that helps, but I sure wish I had thought of all the eyeglass switching before I made my purchase!

I don't bifocals, but I do have to wear reading glasses. 

I have noticed that it is harder for me to read fine print without adequate lighting - even with the reading glasses on.

Do those of you with bifocals find it difficult to read when your lenses are darkened?

Are you talking about progressive no-line bifocals or transitions, the lenses that darken in sunlight?

I have progressives and will be switching back to regular bifocals or just biting the bullet and having two pairs. It is simply too difficult for me to remember to look through the proper portion of the lens when I'm switching tasks and it gives me a headache.

I don't bifocals, but I do have to wear reading glasses. 

I have noticed that it is harder for me to read fine print without adequate lighting - even with the reading glasses on.

Do those of you with bifocals find it difficult to read when your lenses are darkened?

Yes -- through my prescription sunglasses it's harder to read, even when I'm out in the sun.  

I won't get progressive sunglasses again.

A. I want big sunglasses and good progressives are heavy

B. I really want sunglasses for medium and long range--driving, looking at ski-run maps

C. If I want to read, I can use plain sunglasses because that distance works for me

I am majorly trying to re-think my glasses/sunglasses strategy before I spend $2000 on a set-up that annoys me. So this is z helpful thread for me to read.

That's just it - my sunglasses are needed primarily for distance. Getting bifocals/progressives isn't a great idea. I'd rather have a really good set of distance prescription sunglasses and a pair of readers/close range glasses because the all in one solutions have been very costly and haven't worked out well for me at all.

Plus, if I have multiple pairs I have multiple frames, and that's fun!

I love my Rx sunglasses, but in hindsight I do wish I'd gotten progressive lens in them. But, I didn't want to pay extra at the time I ordered them. Really think hard about what you will be doing. I thought I would use mine mostly for distance, and when I'm driving, that's true. However, I am out a lot with kids, touring outdoor exhibits where I might need to read a map or visitor's guide or a field guide... I'm lifting those glasses off my nose more often than I thought I would.

I have a pair of sunglasses in my car that fits right over regular glasses. I didn't know they made them, but a friend gave them to me.

That's what I use.  My kids say I look like an alien, but . . .. whatever.  They work for me. ;)

I've had the magnetic (similar to clip on) sunglasses before, but they weren't big enough to do a lot of good.  I don't know if regular Rx sunglasses are bigger?

That's what I use. My kids say I look like an alien, but . . .. whatever. They work for me. ;)

I've had the magnetic (similar to clip on) sunglasses before, but they weren't big enough to do a lot of good. I don't know if regular Rx sunglasses are bigger?

I probably look like an alien, too, though ds doesn't mention it ;)

I use Solar Shield glasses:

http://solarshield.com

They sell them at many groceries, Walmart and Target on a rack in the pharmacy area.

• Like 1