Menu

My Kids "don't like school"

MEVmom

... And it's really upsetting me. They are entering 3rd and 4th. Last year was the first time I saw/heard a bored, I-don't-like-school attitude. I'm. It sure why because we haven't made any big changes along the way. We have a basic routine that we've been doing since K. Saxon math, FLL, Latina Christiana, memory work, SOTW, etc.

I realize it could be that they are getting older... This year was the first time they seemed to realize that school gets in the way of their free time! I don't know how much of this is "normal" kid stuff- not wanting to work hard- and how much of it I could or should do something about. I don't believe school has to be entertaining, but I also don't like hearing my brilliant DS say he hates math.

I have the I'm bored with everything year when DS9 was 7.5 years old (2013/14). I think it's age in DS9's case. We focus more on his hobbies (robotics) but he has a minimum amount of LA and Math that he has to get done daily. Now he doesn't complain anymore. It lasted close to two years. Kind of like growing pains.

DS10 is a perfectionist and demands intellectual stimulation. So his saying he is bored can mean many different things.

DS10 still finds some parts of math boring. I remind him that even the boring topics needs to get done.

Time to toughen up mom. Cheerfully, "You don't have to like it, just do it.", "We don't use the word bored in this family. It's a sign of a weak mind that can't find anything to do and you have a great mind!" "No complaining about school work. If you want to discuss a particular problem or thing you want changed we can discuss it."  And I told dd at 8 or 9 she wasn't allowed to say she hated math.

Sometimes they would rather play and hope complaining will make you change your mind. You have to try and not take this personally.  :grouphug:

And work in a more field trips. :D

• Like 14

I think it may be an age phase thing.  Ours have never been to school and I think some kids may not understand the benefits of being at home vs being at school until they are older.  DS1 went through this from ages 8-10 I think.  I often pointed out how much nicer a deal he had at home than he would at school, but it didn't seem to make sense to him.  This year was 6th grade and it seemed like something clicked.  He enjoys having a quiet home environment and the freedom to get his work done quickly and have free time, or being able to work efficiently and get ahead.  Meanwhile DS2 is very much in I don't wanna do it mode. I tell him you either have to do it here, or do it there.  I will not jump on a treadmill of thinking I have to make everything fun or interesting to him, because he is really opposed to doing anything that feels like work and I'm not going to exhaust myself when I know he just doesn't want to do any work, no matter what.  Going through this with a second kid, my patience is chewed up at an earlier point.  He's on homeschool probation. 

• Like 3

If you do want to make it more fun, include some fun stuff like The Sentence Family and Schoolhouse Rock for grammar.  Maybe Horrible Histories videos on YouTube to coincide with history studies.  If they like hands on, you could get those Toobs of historical figures for them to play with while you read SOTW.  Get hands on kits for Science.  

Make it fun!  There are tons of options!

• Like 2

Glad to hear this is common for 8-10 yr olds. I know they just don't want to work. But the complaining! And when I give consequences for complaining, things just snowball and I end up battling all day with my DD (8 yrs old). I've tried all kinds of things! I consider myself pretty no nonsense actually. I don't think school has to be fun. Still hate hearing them say they don't like it....

Funny because DS says occasionally he likes homeschool (vs public school). But you'd never know based on his complaining and whining. For us it's difficulty with LD, but also just habit. Any complaint or whine gets a warning, then a consequence as it is just a bad habit at this point. I think depending on the age it may mean a lot off different things. Maybe some minor change in the day would be helpful?

One of mine doesn't like it.  Never has.  Doesn't matter if I add fun stuff.  Although I don't even think the stuff I use is too dry and boring either.

It used to upset me, but honestly I think some people just don't like school.  This is not to say he hates learning, but if there is any guidance or structure to it, he does not like it.

No school doesn't have to be fun. Neither does life. We could just make it all work and no play. Personally, when I have a choice between getting something done in a more pleasurable fashion or more like pulling teeth, I will choose the first. If we skip more than 2 days (out of necessity) with no school, my dd starts begging to do school. Yes, there are things in life we will have to do that are not fun, and they will learn that naturally, but why make something boring when there is  a choice to do otherwise? When something is enjoyed it is learned more easily and more thoroughly. 

• Like 2

I think kids hear over and over again that other kids hate school. My daughters both say they hate school, but they are hard workers and seem really happy. But it isn't cool to say you love school. 

Your kids are so young, you can easily add in some things to make school fun. Do you play math games with them? I have been amazed at how much true learning can come out of playing some good math games. I have searched pinterest for math games for most of my games. 

• Like 2

... And it's really upsetting me. They are entering 3rd and 4th. Last year was the first time I saw/heard a bored, I-don't-like-school attitude. I'm. It sure why because we haven't made any big changes along the way. We have a basic routine that we've been doing since K. Saxon math, FLL, Latina Christiana, memory work, SOTW, etc.

I guess it's time to update your signature then. ;)

Would it be an option to give them a list with the subjects they need to do each day (or even week), and the school hours to do them in, but to let them decide on the order in which they do them? Some people love doing the same routine for years on end, but others like more variation or more freedom or w/e. Whether that would work depends on how independent they are and how well you can accommodate them needing your help at random times throughout school hours vs having scheduled times you teach them and they work independently.

Also, if it's one or two subjects they are more likely to complain about then it might be worth changing the curriculum for those subjects.

• Like 1

I agree with PP, have them take some ownership to address the problem. After a strained smile I would say something like, "well, that is not a particularly helpful comment, but we homeschool, so if you can be more specific, we can make changes." That helps them stay to take charge of their own happiness, points out a major benefit if homeschooling, takes some pressure off you, teaches a more acceptable approach to dealing with other people, etc. Also, I would be careful not to make more than one or two changes at a time.

• Like 2

I don't think school has to be fun. Still hate hearing them say they don't like it....

Walk away. Just disengage :) They are just in a whiny mood. My PS neighbors who are my DS10's age will complain about school too the minute there is sit down work. I would also hear them ask their moms "can I go play".

My DS9 has always been more whiny and hard to please. I just walk away and do my own stuff. He'll do the work while whining :lol: He picks his own curriculum and there will still be some parts that aren't as interesting. He is my kid who tends to cry wolf.

My kids just started cello so they were given twinkle twinkle little stars to practice as homework. It would be boring at times to play the same piece all week and I am sure at least one of my boys will whine. I'll probably entertain myself singing that song in a German and Chinese while they practice.

• Like 1

My son isn't the type to whine or complain but he just dawdles on anything he doesn't want to do. So I have to refocus him frequently. However, he is figuring out that the more time he spends on his schoolwork the less free time he has because I don't care about the clock. So if he is working on the same list of math problems for 2 hours. . . Oh well. I do my best to make things interesting. I'm glad to know that it is probably just a phase.

I realize it could be that they are getting older... This year was the first time they seemed to realize that school gets in the way of their free time! I don't know how much of this is "normal" kid stuff- not wanting to work hard- and how much of it I could or should do something about. I don't believe school has to be entertaining, but I also don't like hearing my brilliant DS say he hates math.

This could be the reason. Perhaps they need a change-up of things to coincide with their changing maturity, interests, abilities. Or just something to break up monotony. Most people do. Some things to consider that won't completely upend your routine and curriculum choices are

1) changing around where you do school (pick a different room or rearrange the room you work in or where they sit in that room),

2) change the output you expect from them (eg instead of narrations every day two days a week they can choose to illustrate or animate their narrations, eg for memory work or copy work/dictation you can occasionally use selections of their choice, eg instead of doing the review sheet in Saxon some days they play math games instead, instead of a comprehension worksheet about lit have them build a scene or important event out of Legos, etc),

3) get them involved in outside school-related groups (a co-op, field trip meetup group, a once a month book discussion book, live online class, etc) so that school has a social element (this is the age most kids start to want more time with friends, and find greater relevance in working with others),

4) add some interest-directed learning into the day (eg shave 5 minutes off each other subject so they have 30 minutes of studying a topic of interest each day, eg make Friday afternoons a project time where they can engage in something educational but physical like models or wood work or sewing, eg have them prepare a presentation on the topic of their choosing to deliver to extended family/church group/homeschool group, etc)

But thinking about it, you probably want to ask them why exactly they don't like school. I try to have regular "mentor meetings" with my kids to touch base with them and get them involved with learning and the course of their educations. It doesn't always happen, but at a minimum I meet with them before the upcoming school year and take them out to lunch and discuss what they liked and didn't like about the finished year, and what they may want to study in the upcoming year or what is a struggle for them... This helps me fine tune (and sometimes rearrange completely) what we are doing. No don't give my kids carte blanche control over what we do, but I find this helpful for meeting their needs, accommodating what of their wants I can, and overall helping them feel like their education is something their are achieving rather than something that is being put on them. Best Wishes

• Like 3

My kids don't like it either. But they do distinguish between not liking school and the love of learning. Both love learning new things. And if I'm being honest, I don't much like work either but it still needs to get done.

I know my kids have plenty of co-op social opportunities and the correct resources for each child. They also both love the freedom that homeschooling brings and recognize they have far more opportunities to study topics of interest. But sometimes work and developing new skills is hard and at this point I just have to keep reminding myself that part of why we homeschool is to train up that work ethic too.

• Like 1

Good advice here! I like the ideas about asking them for some specific feedback/input. I also like the idea about giving them a little more control over the schedule. Just not sure how to do that because most stuff they still do with me or DH (he teaches grammar & writing).

And I think I do need to make a change or two... I'd like to make memory time each day more of an enjoyable morning time/circle time thing. Last year I battled them a lot on sitting at the desk during this time. But I think I want to make it more relaxed and add in some reading they will enjoy more. I'm also considering a math change (we've been using saxon). DS is gifted but unfocused. He has started saying he does like or isn't good at math, despite the fact that he almost never misses anything. I'm wondering if beast academy might be a good, challenging break for him. DD is my emotional, fall apart, cry-wolf kind of child. It's always a struggle trying to find the balance with her: push her enough to challenge her but not so much that she breaks down (and she breaks down easily). I don't know if beast academy would be right for her or cause too much frustration. Maybe CLE? I don't know.

Good advice here! I like the ideas about asking them for some specific feedback/input. I also like the idea about giving them a little more control over the schedule. Just not sure how to do that because most stuff they still do with me or DH (he teaches grammar & writing).

And I think I do need to make a change or two... I'd like to make memory time each day more of an enjoyable morning time/circle time thing. Last year I battled them a lot on sitting at the desk during this time. But I think I want to make it more relaxed and add in some reading they will enjoy more. I'm also considering a math change (we've been using saxon). DS is gifted but unfocused. He has started saying he does like or isn't good at math, despite the fact that he almost never misses anything. I'm wondering if beast academy might be a good, challenging break for him. DD is my emotional, fall apart, cry-wolf kind of child. It's always a struggle trying to find the balance with her: push her enough to challenge her but not so much that she breaks down (and she breaks down easily). I don't know if beast academy would be right for her or cause too much frustration. Maybe CLE? I don't know.

Both of these behaviors are common with gifted kids. I would venture to say that it is even *more* important for these kids to have input in their education. Not that you cowtow to them, but that you help them find relevance and intrinsic meaning in their work.

My DS often says he is not good at math and doesn't like it, but scored in the 98th percentile on a recent grade level standardized test. We used Beast Academy and I am grateful that the problems were challenging and that it didn't always come to him right away - gifted kids need to have early experiences with struggle to help them develop a growth mindset and not attribute everything to innate ability.

• Like 1

I was in a museum today and a kid (don't know which one) dropped a piece of paper that had "I hate school" written on it five times. Between each statement there was a different cartoon of him (her?) hating school. 

My kids have disliked our curriculum when they haven't felt challenged or when it didn't have enough structure. They also have been unhappy when I haven't had clear expectations for them. Sometimes I have based school on the clock instead of a list. Then they know that quick work will be rewarded with more work, so they dawdle and complain. When they have a self-driven checklist, they are much happier.

Emily

• Like 1

Depending on the particulars, I generally take one of four approaches:

1. Ignore it completely and soldier on.

2. Commiserate with a sympathetic "Yeah, I'm kind of not feeling the school work love today, either," and soldier on.

3. Go all Drill Sergeant on the kid and say something along the lines of, "If you think this is tough, I can arrange for the bus to come to the end of the driveway at 8:15 tomorrow morning. Just say the word."

4. Coach that child on a basic life skill--that is, doing things we don't feel like doing.

I have had to work with my oldest daughter this past year (for 4th grade, so she was 9-10 years old) on handling things less emotionally. I think it's partly her temperament and partly her age. She really progressed this year with gaining some maturity, self-control, initiative, and discipline. If this keeps up, I can see her becoming a strong independent learner over time, able to complete work that is needed to succeed in life, even if it isn't exactly her passion. HTH.

• Like 3

Glad to hear this is common for 8-10 yr olds. I know they just don't want to work. But the complaining! And when I give consequences for complaining, things just snowball and I end up battling all day with my DD (8 yrs old). I've tried all kinds of things! I consider myself pretty no nonsense actually. I don't think school has to be fun. Still hate hearing them say they don't like it....

Is it time for a Family Meeting, in which you and your husband make it clear that this year you will absolutely not tolerate complaining and whining about school? That is just over and done.

And, I would be honest with kids that age. Tell them how much it impacts you, drains you. Tell them that it hurts you (if it does), to put so much work and money and effort into schooling them, only to have them turn around and complain about it. Ask them how they would feel if they put their money and their time and their effort into doing something for you -- like making you a sandwich or planting flowers or making a gift -- and you turned around and complained and whined about it. Tell them that homeschooling is the gift you are giving them, and it is rude of them to reject it. Kids at that age can certainly begin to empathize, and should do so (IMO).

• Like 2

Just wanted to add that we switched this past year to CLE Math (from Horizons) and it has been a good change for us. My daughter can "start Math" on her own -- she does the flash card practice and speed drill, then checks the speed drill -- and this has given her a sense of ownership for Math. We then go over the new concepts, quickly scan the practice exercises for any questions, and she gets to work. I'm glad we went over the CLE Math.

Do you give your kids a work list for each day? I started doing that this year (2nd/2nd/4th). I make up the work lists in about 10 minutes, at night after the girls are asleep. In the morning, they can come down and get started on their Independent Work. It has helped them to feel more in charge of their schooling. I usually divide the day's work like this:

Morning Routine

• Household Chores
  • Rabbit Chores
  • Breakfast & Clean up
  • Dressed & bedroom neat
  • Ready for School

Independent Work

• Here I list all the work they can do on their own

Tutor Time

• Here I list all the work they need to do with me

Group Work

• Here I list all the work we will do together as a group

They like working off the list. It communicates to them what is in my head, LOL. It helps them to remember what to do, gives them direction when I am working with a sibling, and creates a sense of accomplishment when they check off their work.

Oh, and here's a good rule of thumb --- NEVER check off the work they accomplish. Let them check it off. :) It is their achievement. :)

• Like 1

Thanks again for the good suggestions! I really like the idea of turning more things over to them. I'm just not sure how to do it...Math can be fairly independent, I think. But we do memory time together (catechism, poems, latin vocab, etc). And history & science are done together. Maybe I could make science more independent though.... thinking of trying apologia this year. Not sure if that will work well as an independent thing or not. They do spelling/grammar/writing with their dad. AAS is kinda teacher intensive. I'll talk to DH and see if grammar could become more independent for DS at least.

When you guys say that gifted kids should have input, do you mean that they should be involved in choosing their currculum? Just curious. 

My 8 year old said the same thing and giving her choices between a couple of curriculum and letting her do more independently seemed to fix it all.  Her curriculum choices are not "fun" but they suit her she like having colored pages and pages that look different everyday.  She liked aleks math which is quite boring just because she could choose which thing to work on that day.  She would not say she loves it now but she never says the H word or the B word and that is good enough for me.

Depending on the particulars, I generally take one of four approaches:

1. Ignore it completely and soldier on.

2. Commiserate with a sympathetic "Yeah, I'm kind of not feeling the school work love today, either," and soldier on.

3. Go all Drill Sergeant on the kid and say something along the lines of, "If you think this is tough, I can arrange for the bus to come to the end of the driveway at 8:15 tomorrow morning. Just say the word."

4. Coach that child on a basic life skill--that is, doing things we don't feel like doing.

I have had to work with my oldest daughter this past year (for 4th grade, so she was 9-10 years old) on handling things less emotionally. I think it's partly her temperament and partly her age. She really progressed this year with gaining some maturity, self-control, initiative, and discipline. If this keeps up, I can see her becoming a strong independent learner over time, able to complete work that is needed to succeed in life, even if it isn't exactly her passion. HTH.

I love this taxonomy! It is helpful because it breaks down the different approaches you need to take. Every kid needs all of these at some time--but in different measure depending on the personality.

Mine are definitely in need of (2) and (3) but I could use a lot more of (1) and (4) in my parenting as well.

OP--I think a lot of it is the age. The fact is, at least one generation was told repeatedly, "Learning is fun!" But the reality is, as you know, it's not always fun and only doing fun things is not necessarily a stellar life plan, anyway. It is not easy to motivate children to work when their survival doesn't depend on it. Sometimes I wish we lived in the Amazon so I could just go have them hunt bugs or something. HTH

• Like 1

Honestly, I have a different suggestion, but I'm not an authoritative parent and I want DD to enjoy school. You might not have the right curricula for them, particularly if they are gifted.

I think the things you listed are fine and provide a solid education but my daughter would have given up. She doesn't need all the practice that Saxon gives. FLL nearly killed us both with its excessive repetitiveness. She really disliked SOW when we tried it. I have spent a lot of time learning how DD learns and it has meant that I bought stuff that simply doesn't work for her even if it's a solid curriculum choice. But, I take the financial hit and don't make her use it if it makes one of us miserable. So, we keep working through it to find better fits.

My favorite school times are when we have great discussions so now I know we need open ended curricula that isn't scripted. We talk together a lot about what is working or not.

Good luck!

A couple of years ago I left the room only to return to 3 of my sons taking pictures of their schoolbooks and pretending to write ebay ads for them.....  :glare:

My dh tells my dc they are crazy for not liking school because ours is way more fun than his school ever was!  :laugh:

Ah well.  Maybe they'll appreciate it more later....

• Like 3

Honestly, I have a different suggestion, but I'm not an authoritative parent and I want DD to enjoy school. You might not have the right curricula for them, particularly if they are gifted.

I think the things you listed are fine and provide a solid education but my daughter would have given up. She doesn't need all the practice that Saxon gives. FLL nearly killed us both with its excessive repetitiveness. She really disliked SOW when we tried it. I have spent a lot of time learning how DD learns and it has meant that I bought stuff that simply doesn't work for her even if it's a solid curriculum choice. But, I take the financial hit and don't make her use it if it makes one of us miserable. So, we keep working through it to find better fits.

My favorite school times are when we have great discussions so now I know we need open ended curricula that isn't scripted. We talk together a lot about what is working or not.

Good luck!

I'm not authoritative either and I do want my kids to enjoy school AND I've tried so many things.  I'm just throwing this out here to say that sometimes that does not work and is not the problem.  I have been told my kid is supposed to enjoy it and if not I'm doing it wrong.  I mean ouch (not directed at you).  Sometimes that just does not happen and it's nothing anyone is doing wrong.

• Like 3

There are quite a few good suggestions on this thread.

Wanted to reiterate a few that definitely helped here:

1. Switching to CLE (but crossing off some of the review) and going at a good pace. Either slowing down in trouble areas or speeding up where they have the material solid.

2. Asking them what THEY would like to delve deeper into and making it happen. DS, for instance, loves history. He will be taking an online Ancient History course at his request as well as a Middle Ages course. He is eager and dedicated even though doing two time period/courses will be challenging.

3. Finding areas of interest that they can develop skill sets in for independent down time. DD lives all things art. I sign her up for art classes, she watches you tube videos ato learn new techniques in whatever area she is currently interested and we make it a fun/challenging Mom and daughter thing to go searching for cheap art supplies (garage sales can be good for that). I also try to tie in art to our curriculum. I make it clear that I value her areas of interest.

4. We try to incorporate Fun Fridays into our week every Friday. I quite literally plan out the year where regular curriculum is M-Th and Fridays are more hands on. Math based games, fun read alouds, educational board games, nature walks, etc.

5. Keeping the routine from being only about box checking. Most people tend to learn better with consistency but also encountering new things that are unexpected.

There are many ways to learn. Sometimes incorporating an unusual approach into just one activity/subject can make everything more interesting again. For instance, in history a couple of years ago we were talking about the changes technology has brought to our lifestyles. The kids were supposed to list something we do now that was done in the past but done differently because of a lack of technology. They were not engaged. It was boring to them.

I chnaged it up. I gave them a stack of little post it notes. We each had our own color. We all had to run through the house sticking post it notes on every single thing in our house that used electricity. One who spottef the most things got a special snack. Afterwards, we went without being able to use any of those things for several hours. We had to come up with alternates that didn't use electricity. At the end we went back through gathering the post it notes. The kids put them on pieces of notebook paper, wrote what the item was it had been stuck to and what equivalent item, if any, might have existed to serve a similar function before electricity was invented.

Was the above time consuming? Yes. Were they engaged and learning? Yes. Far more so than with the original assignment. Do we do something like this every day and with every subject? No. But doing things like this periodically really ups the interest which ups the learning and can open up some great discussion.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the good suggestions! I really like the idea of turning more things over to them. I'm just not sure how to do it...Math can be fairly independent, I think. But we do memory time together (catechism, poems, latin vocab, etc). And history & science are done together. Maybe I could make science more independent though.... thinking of trying apologia this year. Not sure if that will work well as an independent thing or not. They do spelling/grammar/writing with their dad. AAS is kinda teacher intensive. I'll talk to DH and see if grammar could become more independent for DS at least.

When you guys say that gifted kids should have input, do you mean that they should be involved in choosing their curriculum? Just curious. 

I had an epiphany this year, LOL, when I realized that for some things, part of it could be independent and part of it needed to be done as a group and/or with me. When I turned over to my girls the parts that they could do, it really did roll some of the weight off my shoulders. It also made my kids "feel more grown up." They told me so, that's how I know. ;)

Some examples:

Latin Vocabulary -- When the words are new, we go over them together. When they are being reviewed, my kids can now handle that on their own with the pack of cards. Sometimes they quiz each other, sometimes they disappear with the cards and come back looking smug. I do follow up with my own assessment of their Latin prowess. The actual lessons are done with me.

Poetry Memory Work -- I type, print, and bind all their poems into grade-level packets before the year begins. We now have poetry packets from Pre-K all the way up to 4th, and I need to get working on the 5th grade packet for my oldest. Anyway, when their Independent Work list assigns them Memory Work, they know to work on that for about 10 minutes. They follow and check off a chart that helps them keep track of whether they should be reviewing "old" poems or working on "new" poems.

Christian Doctrines -- At this point, we are working through these question & answer cards. The girls can do these independently or in pairs, and we periodically learn new cards and review old cards as a group. But mostly, they do this on their own.

Apologia has CDs for some of the books. Perhaps your kids could listen to the book on CD, and then you could do the hands-on component together?

I reached a point with my oldest last year where AAS was more teacher-intensive than she needed spelling to be. It's a good course, but she had really moved beyond needing me to "teach" her spelling. We bought and set up Phonetic Zoo, and it was a good change.

If you figure out a way to make Grammar more independent, let me know! :o We are plugging along with FLL here, too, but we don't do anything other than the grammar lessons, the dictionary lessons, the letter writing lessons, and contractions (so, none of the poems, narrations, or copywork). We don't try to finish one level per year, either. Since we'll have to switch to something else when we're done with Level 4, I figure, why rush?

Kindergarten = Level 1

1st Grade = Level 2

2nd Grade = Level 3, first half

3rd Grade = Level 3, second half

4th Grade = Level 4, first half

5th Grade = Level 4, second half

The same with WWE -- there's no rush, because we don't intend to do Level 4 or begin WWS 1 before 5th grade (if then).

1st Grade = Level 1 (entire level)

2nd Grade = Level 2 (up to Week 27, so 3/4ths of a level)

3rd Grade = Level 2 (Weeks 28-36) + Level 3 (Weeks 1-18), so 3/4ths of a level

4th Grade = Level 3 (Weeks 19-36, so 1/2 of a level) + writing from Science & History

5th Grade = begin WWS 1 and see how it goes

I wonder if all kids should have input, not just gifted ones? I ask my kids what they like and dislike about school, try to pay some attention to it, try to not take any of it personally (since I asked!), and always discuss with them what our upcoming plans could be and need to be. I try to explain to them that we study X, Y, and Z because we have to know them for life, because it's required by law, and because we are building skills for all of learning. You could tell your kids why they are doing X, Y, and Z.

A simple, matter-of-fact explanation seems to help my girls realize that the work is there to do, might as well get to it. 

Hey, it helps me realize it, too. LOL. :D

HTH.

There are quite a few good suggestions on this thread.

Wanted to reiterate a few that definitely helped here:

1. Switching to CLE (but crossing off some of the review) and going at a good pace. Either slowing down in trouble areas or speeding up where they have the material solid.

2. Asking them what THEY would like to delve deeper into and making it happen. DS, for instance, loves history. He will be taking an online Ancient History course at his request as well as a Middle Ages course. He is eager and dedicated even though doing two time period/courses will be challenging.

3. Finding areas of interest that they can develop skill sets in for independent down time. DD lives all things art. I sign her up for art classes, she watches you tube videos ato learn new techniques in whatever area she is currently interested and we make it a fun/challenging Mom and daughter thing to go searching for cheap art supplies (garage sales can be good for that). I also try to tie in art to our curriculum. I make it clear that I value her areas of interest.

4. We try to incorporate Fun Fridays into our week every Friday. I quite literally plan out the year where regular curriculum is M-Th and Fridays are more hands on. Math based games, fun read alouds, educational board games, nature walks, etc.

5. Keeping the routine from being only about box checking. Most people tend to learn better with consistency but also encountering new things that are unexpected.

There are many ways to learn. Sometimes incorporating an unusual approach into just one activity/subject can make everything more interesting again. For instance, in history a couple of years ago we were talking about the changes technology has brought to our lifestyles. The kids were supposed to list something we do now that was done in the past but done differently because of a lack of technology. They were not engaged. It was boring to them.

I changed it up. I gave them a stack of little post it notes. We each had our own color. We all had to run through the house sticking post it notes on every single thing in our house that used electricity. One who spotted the most things got a special snack. Afterwards, we went without being able to use any of those things for several hours. We had to come up with alternates that didn't use electricity. At the end we went back through gathering the post it notes. The kids put them on pieces of notebook paper, wrote what the item was it had been stuck to and what equivalent item, if any, might have existed to serve a similar function before electricity was invented.

Was the above time consuming? Yes. Were they engaged and learning? Yes. Far more so than with the original assignment. Do we do something like this every day and with every subject? No. But doing things like this periodically really ups the interest which ups the learning and can open up some great discussion.

Best wishes.

LOVE these ideas! I'm stealing your post-it note History lesson. ;)

If you figure out a way to make Grammar more independent, let me know! :o We are plugging along with FLL here, too, but we don't do anything other than the grammar lessons, the dictionary lessons, the letter writing lessons, and contractions (so, none of the poems, narrations, or copywork). We don't try to finish one level per year, either. Since we'll have to switch to something else when we're done with Level 4, I figure, why rush?

CLE LA? ;)

• Like 1

My kids are the same ages and they definitely are starting to dislike their school work.  Some things they love- like science.  But math and LA...not so much.  This year I'm going to make a huge effort to make it more fun.  I know that not everything we have to do in life is fun, but one of the reasons I'm home schooling is so that we don't have to spend our time unhappy.  We have the freedom to learn in ways that are more fun for us.

So, my kids like game.  I happen to dislike them, but eh, I'll do games.  My kids love watching DVDs, and we almost never watch DVDs, so I'm adding in some educational stuff on DVD.  I'm going to do poetry teas because the few times we have done them they have loved it.  Sure, we will still do AAS, Singapore math, and our other "not so fun" stuff.  But I'll get the HIG for Singapore and actually DO some of the activities.  :)  My kids are doing really well in math without the activities, but it's just not fun.  So I'll do them sometimes.

That's my plan anyways...