Menu

Now I'm breaking this lease

WinsomeCreek

The recap:

We signed a lease on a new place, but quickly wondered what kind of mess we walked into. The landlords live across the street. The agent swears they are super nice. But....

They said they were replacing carpet before the lease start and did not, leaving behind carpet with dog hair, pieces of plastic/glass. There was hair in two separate bathroom drains. I paid a cleaning team to go over the place and sanitize. The agent asked us to pay for the cleaners out of pocket and not tell the landlords because it would be distressing. When Dh told the landlords about our hiring cleaners and the problems, they expressed happiness that we are clean people??? There's more.

Ok. They're slum lords, I'm thinking. I did document.

We went out of town for over a week, approving the landlords to come back to fix broken blinds, refrigerator while we're gone and tend the yard. We get back and there's a kitchen ceiling light tile - the large ~2x4' kind - on the floor in the kitchen! There's a burned out electrical socket (as in brown scorched and slightly melted) not fixed. The blinds are not fixed. The refrigerator makes weird noises. I sent him an email.

But then... while we're at the house, the landlord brings his son's large German shepherd into our fully gated back yard!! We specifically got in writing that the dog wouldn't be around because it had lived here before and I wanted to avoid territorial issues since I have a 1 yo!! Not only that, but when I confronted LL he was rude and unapologetic. He said he thought we were gone. Wait?! So it's ok as long as I don't find out about the lie? I told him we were ending the lease. This hassle is the last thing I need, yet I am grateful to escape a bad situation after only two weeks.

Lesson learned: when that hinky meter starts dinging... RUN!

And no, all promises aside, I have no idea why he was walking the dog in our yard when he has his own across the street.

• Like 5