Menu

Chemistry for advanced 4th grader

My 4th grader already knows a lot of chemistry, however, he hasn't had much experience with algebra (which I understand is required for more advanced chemistry courses). He's been working through the Kahn Academy Chemistry program online and most recently, stoichiometry, chemical reactions, mole, avogadro's number (i don't know what that stuff is; he just talks about it all the time).  He has read all of the Basher Chemistry books and the Wonderful Life of the Elements by Bunpei Yorifugi.  He's also mastered the Ein-O Science Mighty Molecules kit and can build several chemical bonds.  He's memorizing the periodic table.  This kid is nuts about chemistry and unfortunately, I know nothing about it.

I considered signing him up for a chemistry class at a co-op or enrichment school, however, all of these courses are for high school students who have completed algebra.  As far as his math goes, he's not nearly as advanced.  He's working through Life of Fred and Math Mammoth 3, and will likely work on Beast Academy.

So I'm trying to find some more materials for him to work through and I was considering the following programs: 

-Elemental Science Chemistry for the Logic Stage

-Exploring the World of Chemistry by John Hudson Tiner along with the Memoria Press guide.

-Ellen McHenry's The Elements

-Dr. Dave's chemistry

I've also considered just getting him into another area of science all together since he may not be able to advance in chemistry until his math catches up.  But he loves science in general and I've had a hard time finding challenging science materials at the elementary level.  He studies anatomy, astronomy, geology, biology, physics etc. on his own.  We do a lot of stuff at the planetarium and the nature center.  But chemistry is the big passion right now.   

Even though he studies this stuff on his own, I would like a curriculum because I'm trying to get him away from his 2nd grade sister and I when we are doing science.  He railroads the lessons and takes over and his sister hates it.  If he had his own special curriculum, then I could more easily get him away from us so that I could teach her at her level.  If I just say, "Go to your room and read your science books" he will feel like he's missing out.  so that's why I want to get him something special, just for him.  

He would love to do something with a lot of experiments, as this is an area we haven't explored much.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have the last 3 and have used them with my kids. Dr. Dave's is all experiment-based but you'll have to supervise because a lot of the experiments are not things a 9 y.o. can just go off and do by himself safely.

Ellen McHenry and the Tiner book with the MP study guide are things that can be done independently. Though I think based on the topics you mentioned in the Khan class that he'd probably be able to handle Mr. Q Advanced Chemistry. It requires pre-algebra level math but I suspect that if you allowed him to use a calculator he could do it. I allow calculators in science but not math for my kids.

ETA: The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry is awesome and one of my science-loving son's favorites. He'd probably also like The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean but you'd need to pre-read that for content as I can't remember off the top of my head whether there is anything age-inappropriate in that book.

• Like 2

Both my kids liked the Tiner book FWIW. The one who did the MP workbook didn't love it but didn't hate it either (he was enrolled in a charter school at the time and I needed work samples). The one I got complaints about was The Mystery of the Periodic Table.

This is a really fun book that no one in my family wants to put down, and it includes a poster of the most visually appealing periodic table I've ever seen:

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Visual-Exploration-Every-Universe/dp/1579128955/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1437145386&sr=1-1&keywords=the+elements+gray

I haven't looked through Molecules by the same author, but I suspect it's equally awesome.

For experiments, IME no one book is awesome enough to stand on it's own. I went to my local library and grabbed all of their kids' chemistry lab books (look under the science fair section too). I browsed all of them and wrote down all the experiments that I thought were doable and worth the expense of buying materials, if needed. Between the 9 books I borrowed, I found 18 weeks' worth of experiments.

Ruth

I haven't looked through Molecules by the same author, but I suspect it's equally awesome.

I can vouch that the Molecules book is equally awesome :)

For hands on experiments, I find them from Pinterest - there are tons of doable ones with instructions and pictures.