Menu

Traditional Logic - Memoria Press

Dd14 has only used Fallacy Detective and several Mind Bender books. I think this is where we want to start with her formal logic studies. I have no experience teaching or even studying logic. Will we need the DVD's with this course or are the books enough to understand the program?

I'm fixing to start this again with my second child.  I found it helpful in the first few chapters to take a few notes while reading.  Just simple outline notes.  I helped my oldest do this, because this type of course is frustrating to her.  My second child likes this kind of thing, so we shall see.  I did use the dvd's and they were very helpful, but not totally necessary.

It may be worthwhile to see if anyone has posted videos on YouTube.   I bought the DVD's for Nance's Introductory Logic, but found them to be mostly (not entirely) verbatim what was in the book.  DS found this redundant and unhelpful.  But, I searched YouTube for Nance Introductory Logic and found a lady who does a tutorial of every lesson. She explains it in a different style which is just what ds needed to better understand.  Maybe someone has done the same for the MP Logic course?   

• Like 2

It may be worthwhile to see if anyone has posted videos on YouTube. I bought the DVD's for Nance's Introductory Logic, but found them to be mostly (not entirely) verbatim what was in the book. DS found this redundant and unhelpful. But, I searched YouTube for Nance Introductory Logic and found a lady who does a tutorial of every lesson. She explains it in a different style which is just what ds needed to better understand. Maybe someone has done the same for the MP Logic course?

What were those YouTube videos on Nance intro logic you liked? Please let me know. Thanks a lot. Rosa

• Like 1

raristy,  I mistyped Intro Logic, but the videos are actually for Intermed Logic.  Here is the link to the 1st one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTfgpUz7C2Q.  You will find these to be very informal both in style and tone, but we loved her candor as she modeled perseverance in the midst of the tough topic. We also loved the bits of humor and the fact that she was *real*.   This first one did not have great sound quality just now, but don't recall that being an issue before.  May just be a bad tech day here. :-)