Menu

So Prime members, were the sales good?

Okra

Well. I did consider the sale on an industrial size barrel of lubricant. Thought I might stock up for the zombie apocalypse. Then I decided that if there ever IS a zombie apocalypse, I can probably just loot the local drugstore.

(Be prepared, right? Also: If you're not sure what sort of lubricant I mean, it's the one you think.)

• Like 12

I had some 'basics' to buy - but they weren't sale items and I would have been buying them anyway.

I did have a $5 offer for a coupon on some things I had NO IDEA if I'd even use (I wasn't going to buy something just to use it) - and it had to be used by august 15. no thanks, I'll stick with 2-day shipping.

• Like 1

For the one thing I did attempt to purchase, the button to add it to the cart didn't work. I did an online chat with amazon and they manually added it to my cart, but it wasn't the Prime price. They said they could refund me the difference in two days. In the order, the item wouldn't ship until September.

Comedy of errors.

Erica in OR

• Like 3

I ended up buying quite a few things by the end. My favorites are the Cuisinart food processor (the exact one I have been wanting) and the Blue Yeti computer microphone (so I can stop borrowing my son's.) I also got a camera tripod that looks like it will be nice, some DVDs for my dh, a new hard drive for one of my ds's computers, a USB hub thingie, a vegetable peeler that also does julienne cuts, and a few other little things that I probably didn't need because I have already forgotten what they were. :blush:

My ds was hoping for more techie computer components and PC and video game stuff, and my dh was hoping for more DVDs and music CDs. I wasn't looking for anything in particular for myself except I was secretly hoping for the food processor and the microphone, so I ended up happy.

Overall, though, I noticed that you had to be very careful of the pricing. Some of the discounts were a lot lower than they were making them out to be. I had a few things in my cart that I ended up deleting because I would have only been saving a few dollars on each item, and if I have to watch for new deals all day and then check out within 15 minutes of adding an item to my cart, the discount should be a lot better than $2.00 off the regular price!

Yes, I am cheap. I buy a lot of stuff, but I hate to over-pay for things. It drives my dh nuts. :D

• Like 2

Meh.  Other than a Kindle, there was nothing that made my fingers twitchy.   My husband had seen that there would be binoculars in the sale, and he's been wanting to get some, but he could never find them.  We are big Amazon fans here overall, but this was disappointing.  

• Like 1

Not for us.  I signed up for a free 30 day trial of Prime on July 8th. I will cancel it early in August.  I have in my Amazon Wish List a TI -84 Plus CE graphing calculator that I need to buy for DD.  At this time, Amazon is only selling it to Prime Members. I hoped they would include it in the items they discounted yesterday and I checked frequently, but it wasn't discounted.  This article may be of interest to you:

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20150715/amazon-prime-day-fizzle-4f0ddedc6b.html

I will buy the TI calculator for DD on eBay, at a lower price, and I won't need to pay FL sales tax as I would need to pay if I buy directly from Amazon

• Like 1

Not for us. I signed up for a free 30 day trial of Prime on July 8th. I will cancel it early in August. I have in my Amazon Wish List a TI -84 Plus CE graphing calculator that I need to buy for DD. At this time, Amazon is only selling it to Prime Members. I hoped they would include it in the items they discounted yesterday and I checked frequently, but it wasn't discounted. This article may be of interest to you:

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20150715/amazon-prime-day-fizzle-4f0ddedc6b.html

I will buy the TI calculator for DD on eBay, at a lower price, and I won't need to pay FL sales tax as I would need to pay if I buy directly from Amazon

Just ordered one of those off eBay yesterday for my dd.

I found the sale to be lacking as well. My dh found a few things, but I don't recall what.

I did get 24 months of Kindle Unlimited. I wasn't that impressed with it, but T asked for a year's subscription as her reward for going to camp. Since it was on sale, I got 24 months. So I saved 40% on all the Minecraft novelizations T can read, plus a few decent books (Silent Spring--how did that sneak in there?)

I got a better deal on the 6 inch Kindle Fire last week. They were $49. I was going to make Geezle wait until his birthday to replace his 7 inch. He broke it by dropping it (right after I posted that we'd never broken a Kindle--darn Murphy) but $49 made me feel more forgiving.

Other than a couple quick perusals of the Lightning Deals, I didn't participate in Prime Day. I really hate the Lightning Deal format. I think I've only bought one thing (and I think it was underwear) as a LD. They're just odd and a bit annoying. If I wanted to pick through a bunch of digital carp and have to beat the clock, I'd go to ebay!

• Like 3

Not impressed. I did save 33.00 on the Instant Pot that I already had in my cart from months ago. I wasn't even going to bother until Catwoman posted about the 20.00 off code. Since I already had a doorknob I was going to order, I added that to my order and got the discount. So I can think of the Instant Pot as being only 80.00, or as getting the doorknob for free, since it was 20 bucks.  

• Like 2

Meh. Other than a Kindle, there was nothing that made my fingers twitchy. My husband had seen that there would be binoculars in the sale, and he's been wanting to get some, but he could never find them. We are big Amazon fans here overall, but this was disappointing.

I saw three or four different pairs of binoculars on Lightning Deal yesterday, but they were all junky ones. I doubt your dh would have wanted them, so I don't think you missed anything by not seeing them.

That seemed to be a problem across the categories yesterday -- lots of low end stuff and very few nicer things. And the toy selection was the same -- a couple of popular, nice things and a bunch of other stuff they just wanted to unload. If it was a "real" Black Friday sale, there would have been far more of the bigger, newer toys. The same thing with the electronics and kitchen stuff -- a couple of good things and a lot of little stuff that was a few bucks off the regular prices. They did have pretty good deals on gaming systems, though, but they were things we already had.

It was fun looking at all of the sales, but even though I am very happy with what I got, I think the overall sense was still... meh.

• Like 1

I did get 24 months of Kindle Unlimited. I wasn't that impressed with it, but T asked for a year's subscription as her reward for going to camp. Since it was on sale, I got 24 months. So I saved 40% on all the Minecraft novelizations T can read, plus a few decent books (Silent Spring--how did that sneak in there?)

Oh darn wish I had seen that.  I wasn't impressed with it either, but I might have bought it if it were less expensive.

It worked out nicely for me since my son's birthday is in a few days and he needed a new Kindle to replace his broken one. I saved a lot of money on something I would have been buying anyway. There's not much more stuff I'd have wanted to buy, even if it had been practically free.

I got Kind Bars way cheaper than I can get them around here and I am honestly extremely thrilled about that.

I tried to get toilet paper super cheap but it sold out in like 2 seconds.  I also wasn't fast enough for a sonic screwdriver.

I was highly amused as how incredibly long the unrated movie version of 50 Shades of Gray took to sell out.  Clearly people like their toilet paper a whole lot more than 50 Shades.

• Like 1

I actually found two things I wanted to purchase (a scooter and a barbie set for dd - her birthday is in 2 weeks). Both times, I attempted to put the items in my cart as soon as they became available and both times I was directed to the waitlist. I can't really imagine that a $20 scooter and a barbie set were really in that much demand! So I was irritated because I wasted my time on the sale.

Oh well. At least we have twitter and other reviews to read today. They are hilarious! Here's my favorite...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kanikateng/the-26-best-responses-to-amazon-prime-day-9wy1?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgp#.niQJ3E3nvm

• Like 1

I made amazon purchases yesterday. But none were from the prime day sales.

I checked my wish lists in hopes that some of the items from my book or therapeutic lists would be on sale, no dice.

So, Amazon managed to have a prime day sale that was neither on a day that was prime or offering items people want.

I was disappointed as well.  But then I've been disappointed in their Black Friday/Christmas sales the past couple of years.  I feel like they look for the odds and ends taking up space and mostly try to make them appear like they're at a good discount. 

I did get some sheet protectors. 

• Like 1