Menu

Need to add some beans to our diet: what are your favorite healthy bean recipes for summer?

Laurie4b

I have an easier time getting beans on the table in fall and winter. Chili is a staple, for instance, but I prefer not to serve it in the summer. We do have bean burritos with black beans and a black bean-corn-salsa type salad, which we like, but I need some more ideas for summer. What does your family like?  

Taco Soup, very flexible.

Lg can of tomato sauce

Packets of taco seasoning

Cooked Ground beef (or not, or ground turkey or chicken or top or tofu would probably work)

Beans - black, kidney, cannelloni, white, pinto

Diced tomatoes

Frozen corn

Dump in crock pot, stir, heat

Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips.

------------

Chicken baked or crock potted with salsa, corn, beans (black are especially good)

• Like 2

Black Bean Soup  

4 Tbs olive oil

2 red onions, chopped

2 cans diced mild green chilis

4 cloves garlic, diced

2 Tbs ground cumin

2 cans black beans (15 oz each), undrained

4 cups chicken broth

1Tbs cilantro, chopped

salt and pepper

blue corn chips

sour cream

shredded cheese

Saute onion, chilis, garlic, and cumin in oil, about 5 minutes.  Add beans and broth.  Boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer about 15 minutes more.  Cool slightly, then puree in small batches in a blender.  (Cooling and pureeing in small batches is important or you'll explode beans all over the cabinets).  

Return to pot to reheat, then season with salt and pepper and cilantro.  Serve with chips, cheese, and sour cream.  Yum!

• Like 1

Hummus? We eat a lot of it in the summer. Baked bean, too. And, there's always sloppy joes with a can or two of beans, sauce, and with or without meat. Lot's of cheese with just beans is yummy.

My sister makes this concoction with baked beans, hamburger, bbq sauce, ketchup, and mustard (lots) and serves it on buns. It's really good but sounds weird. Something like this: http://busycooks.about.com/od/hotsandwichrecipes/r/Baked-Bean-Sloppy-Joes.htm

• Like 1

I make a salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, feta and chick peas. Dressed with red wine vinegar and some olive oil. I add in greek seasoning but I think some pepper and oregano would be good too. 

I also make nachos with only black beans, chipotle powder and mexican cheese. 

• Like 3

I love Great Northern beans as a side dish all by themselves (with salt and a little butter, or if canned, then plain).

My whole family loves chick peas cooked in varieties of rice - again with salt and butter.  We have to start with dried chick peas that we soak first.  Canned just aren't the same or even good enough.

• Like 1

Cold chickpea salad is yummy....you can make it Indian-inspired, Greek, etc.

I usually use chickpeas, chopped red onion, chopped cucumber (preferably persian cucumbers), and a vinaigrette. 

Of course hummus.  Don't forget you can make a white bean dip too (doesn't have to be chickpeas.)  For homemade hummus, I put a can or equivalent of chickpeas, 4 cloves of garlic, the juice of 2 lemons, a few glugs of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of tahini, and a little cold water.   Sometimes I'll blend in some Greek yogurt too.

• Like 3

Puree some white beans or garbanzo beans and add a little mayo and some dill relish for a sandwich spread. It's good on wedges of green pepper or celery sticks too.

We also like to fry some onion, add in some cooked lentils and stir them around a bit with the onions, and serve over rice. There are different seasonings you can add to this but it's good plain. The kids like to eat this on homemade flat bread.

Bean nuggets are good too. I use canned white beans and puree them into a paste, then add some leftover white rice and some garlic. Roll that in some panko bread crumbs and either bake or fry. My son loves these dipped in barbeque sauce.

• Like 1

Chickpea salad sandwiches - mashed chickpeas and a mayo-type substance of your choosing:

-tarragon, quartered red grapes, chopped pecans, celery some dijon mustard

-umeboshi vinegar, celery, celery seeds, green onion, whole grain mustard, pepper

-red lentils, celery, pickle relish, fresh dill, black salt, pepper, dijon mustard, lemon juice, little tumeroc

-sunflower seeds, spicy mustard, dill, red onions

-celery, green onions, grated carrot, lemon, pumpkin seeds, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper (sub hummus or tahini for the mayo here)

-dried cranberries, chopped walnuts, celery, green onions, champagne vinegar

-diced carrots, green onions, raisins or dates, chopped cashews, lemon juice, curry powder, garlic powder

-celery, red onion, dulse flakes, old bay, lemon juice, dill

We like our hummus with za'tar, even better if you spread it on top of naan and top it with grilled veggies.

Cannelini beans are tasty with pasta sauce, sauteed zucchini and mushrooms on top of pasta.

Added to salads (greens or whole grains/couscous) is lovely, too.

• Like 1

Cold chickpea salad is yummy....you can make it Indian-inspired, Greek, etc.

I usually use chickpeas, chopped red onion, chopped cucumber (preferably persian cucumbers), and a vinaigrette.

Of course hummus. Don't forget you can make a white bean dip too (doesn't have to be chickpeas.) For homemade hummus, I put a can or equivalent of chickpeas, 4 cloves of garlic, the juice of 2 lemons, a few glugs of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of tahini, and a little cold water. Sometimes I'll blend in some Greek yogurt too.

I like this RR recipe as a jumping off point for chickpea salad.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/chickpea-salad-recipe.html

It's a line/reference from Silence of the Lambs...I'm sorry to be gross.

Head over to the literature/film discussion threads with that one, ok?  I certainly did not recognize the allusion!  I thought you really believe that calf's liver pairs well with fava beans!

• Like 1

i boil dry pinto beans in chicken broth in the crockpot to cook them.  I add chili powder, an onion chopped, a few garlic cloves chopped and salt.  After 8 hours on high, they are soft.  I drain them, use an immersion blender to blend them slightly.  Now they resemble refried beans.

I use these beans in bean/cheese burritos.  Add ground meat or..whatever you want to them.

• Like 1

I have an easier time getting beans on the table in fall and winter. Chili is a staple, for instance, but I prefer not to serve it in the summer. We do have bean burritos with black beans and a black bean-corn-salsa type salad, which we like, but I need some more ideas for summer. What does your family like?

Thanks for starting this thread. Lots of great suggestions! Would you mind to share your salad recipe? Sounds really good. :)

• Like 1

I love lentil salad. Lentils, chopped carrots, celery, red onion, parsley and/or cilantro, oil, vinegar, and whatever spices might float your boat( basically, whatever Italian  type salad dressing you prefer)   Toss it all together with S/P. Chill, serve cold.

• Like 1

We also love chickpea salads.

And black beans, Trader Joes roasted corn, red pepper, scallions, lots of cilantro, and a vinaigrette made with lime juice. This salad needs extra salt to bring out the flavors, while the chickpea one is fine with just a vinaigrette, no extra salt, imho.

• Like 2

Not "healthy" but for those of us hiding beans in food: brownies with black bean purée. Kids and adults can't taste them. I'm on my phone so I can't link.

Yeah, my secret brownie ingredient is Kahlua...

I think I need to use the leaving smilie again

:leaving:

• Like 4

I just had a bean burrito for breakfast. 

Black bean burgers

Bean dip (I use white or black beans)

Chick Pea Salad Edamame & Black Bean Salad with Soy-Ginger Dressing

Author: homecrush
Recipe type: salad
Cuisine: Asian

Prep time:  15 mins
Total time:  15 mins

Serves: 4

A bright and balanced salad with a light, gingery-soy dressing
Ingredients
  • 1 12-oz. bag of frozen, shelled edamame, thawed
  • 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
  • 1 very large carrot (or 2 medium carrots), finely diced
  • 1 can whole water chestnuts, finely diced
  • 2 T. canola oil
  • ¼ c. soy sauce
  • ¼ c. rice vinegar
  • 1-2 tsp. dark sesame oil
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 tsp. finely minced fresh ginger
  • 2 green onions, finely chopped
  • ¼ tsp. curry powder
  • Black sesame seeds (optional)

Instructions
  1. Combine edamame, black beans, bell pepper, carrot and water chestnuts in medium-sized bowl.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together oils, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, green onion and curry powder and pour over vegetable and bean combination.
  3. Mix well and chill for at least one hour.
  4. Sprinkle with sesame seeds when serving, if desired.

• Like 1

I like to saute some onions and garlic with various spices (maybe onion seed, turmeric, cumin, nigella, and coriander, or za'atar) and then add garbanzo beans, salt, and cayenne to taste.  It's not cold, but it doesn't warm me up either. You can choose the spices you use to complement the other dishes you're eating.

• Like 1

Thanks for starting this thread. Lots of great suggestions! Would you mind to share your salad recipe? Sounds really good. :)

Oh dear. I'm not good at estimating what I put in, but it doesn't matter a whole lot in this recipe. You can adjust.

Saute some onion and green pepper. At the last minute, add minced garlic. Drain and rinse a couple cans of  black beans, and add about 1/2 as much corn as beans. Add the onion/pepper mixture. Add salsa to taste. Add some Italian dressing, It is incredibly good. Too good. I can eat way too much of it!

• Like 1

Taco Soup, very flexible.

Lg can of tomato sauce

Packets of taco seasoning

Cooked Ground beef (or not, or ground turkey or chicken or top or tofu would probably work)

Beans - black, kidney, cannelloni, white, pinto

Diced tomatoes

Frozen corn

Dump in crock pot, stir, heat

Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips.

------------

Chicken baked or crock potted with salsa, corn, beans (black are especially good)

Not only do these look delicious, they also pass the super easy test!  I'm excited!   :laugh:

Fajitas

1 can black beans

1 lb fajita meat 

1 sliced bell pepper

Cook in crock pot all day with fajita seasoning (you can google this. It's easy) You may need to add a bit of water if it gets too dry

Serve with yellow rice, salsa and cheese on burritos.

This does have meat, but it really makes the fajita meat stretch. It feeds my family of 6 with extra leftovers.

• Like 1

Curry of various sorts (seriously, you can easily make a different bean curry every night for a month and never repeat)

Would you have a recipe to share?  I'd be particularly interested in a recipe that can be served cold.

Regards,

Kareni

Yeah, my secret brownie ingredient is Kahlua...

I think I need to use the leaving smilie again

:leaving:

I guess that ingredient would help me not care if the kids had beans or not. But they sneak treats so probably not a good idea for us for a few years.

Would you have a recipe to share?  I'd be particularly interested in a recipe that can be served cold.

Regards,

Kareni

I have several. I happen to like Indian food, so that's how I cook at least once a week :)

I'll link to 2 favorites right now.

Chana Masala (which is ubiquitous) - when I make it, I add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste and increase the garlic (I always increase the garlic in any recipe, because I'm very scared of the vampire menace). You can use vinegar instead of lemon juice. You don't need to add the cilantro if you hate cilantro. I've been known to add cubed turnips to the recipe when we have turnips from the CSA I don't know what to do with. I certainly don't use curry powder, garam masala is easy to make at home.

Coconut Black Eyed Peas (from one of my favorite cookbooks). I modify this recipe considerably, and not just because I don't have a pressure cooker. Instead of cooking the onion and whatnot with the beans I saute them as the beans cook. I frequently add some butter (or clarified butter, aka ghee) to the recipe. I don't usually add curry leaves, because that would require a special trip. I often increase the coconut, because I like coconut.

I can think of more, probably, but I gotta run run run now.

Edit: You can serve anything cold unless it's been fried or includes melted cheese. Pancakes and fries taste awful cold.

• Like 1

I have several. I happen to like Indian food, so that's how I cook at least once a week :)

I'll link to 2 favorites right now.

Thank you for both recipes, Tanaqui.  They sound quite appealing; I'm drooling already and I just ate!

Regards,

Kareni

Head over to the literature/film discussion threads with that one, ok? I certainly did not recognize the allusion! I thought you really believe that calf's liver pairs well with fava beans!

Ummm, I'm pretty sure that Hannibal wasn't recommending *calf* liver to pair with fava beans...

Don't worry, Unsinkable, you weren't the only one that immediately thought of that reference, lol. I'm not sure I will ever be able to eat fava beans, thanks to that movie.