Menu

blood coming out of eye

Today dd15 had a massive blood nose. she was just sitting there eating breakfast when it started. firstly it was pouring out her nose, then started flowing out her mouth as well, then started coming out of her tear duct  in one eye. I am guessing that the  volume of blood flow was too much for her nose? I have never heard of this happening before and quiet frankly if someone told me it had happened to them I would have never believed them.

It only came out of her eye a little , and after 40 minutes we stopped the bleeding completely. She feels fine, though lightheaded and a bit of a headache since

of course it would happen on the only day ever that I was at home without a car.

has anyone here ever experienced something like this before?

I've never seen this but I googled and found many sites saying this happens occasionally. My mantra after a nosebleed, no blowing, sniffing or picking your nose. It will just start up again. I hope all is well soon.  :grouphug:

Sounds like a posterior bleed. They can be a bit dangerous due to blood loss. You might want to put a call in to the doctor to make sure they don't want to see her, especially if she has any chronic medical issues.

• Like 1

That happened to one of my boys when he was about 7 years old.  I think he had sneezed while having a nosebleed and there was quite a bit of blood coming out of his eye - possibly both eyes - it was a long time ago.  I called a friend, who is a nurse, to ask her if I should take him to the hospital.  I was pretty freaked out.  She said it can happen and not to worry about it.

It never happened again.

But it is high on the list of scary things that have happened to my kids.