Menu

PSA: Huge Amazon sale for Prime members tomorrow

mathnerd

I hope the sales are as good as Amazon is promising they will be, but not so incredible that I end up buying a lot of stuff I don't really need! :)

Apparently, Walmart.com will be trying to compete with Amazon by offering huge sales of their own.

• Like 1

Well Prime Day didn't exactly start out with a bang.

Thus far, I am completely underwhelmed.

I was going to watch a movie and coincidentally logged on to Amazon at 12:02.  Yep, I'm right there with you, underwhelmed describes it well. 

ETA: I went back and bought 3x$15 gift cards for Christmas stocking stuffers and got the $10 credit.  The credit expires at the End of August, but I know I won't have a problem spending it before then anyways.

I did got to Walmart .com and bought a laptop though LOL.   

• Like 1

DH got up at 2:00 am our time to process the order we had in our cart in case it was part of the sale. The only thing that was reduced was a kindle fire we decided it was time to get for the kids. The rest was school stuff that I didn't really expect to be included, but it didn't hurt to try.

Because of the Prime sale I learned that there is a tablet version of Skylanders Trap Team.  I decided my 7 year old doesn't need it since he can play Skylanders on the WiiU.

My daughter wants a Fire Phone.  They are $179 right now.  I'm debating on whether they will go down any more over the course of the day (cheapest I've ever heard is $159; they were $199 yesterday; I paid $179 for mine last year).

Very underwhelmed by the whole sale. All the decent items I was sort of interested in were sold out by the time I was ready to buy.

I have been disappointed repeatedly with Kindle products (they quit charging and freeze within a week of purchase) so will not be purchasing another.

• Like 2

I bought a set of 4 2" view binders for $9.99, and I was waitlisted for an electric pencil sharpener and a stand for the iPad. Not much else on sale that interests me. <yawn> Yep, underwhelmed is the word. I think I'll go see what Walmart.com has instead.

I wish they would give an extra discount on all the books that are stored in the "saved" section of my cart.  That's my idea of what Prime Day should be. :)

That's what I was hoping for as well. I feel like it's the holiday push in July. I don't want to keep checking in to see if anything good pops up. Ds has a camera picked out, but it'd have to be a really good deal for him to buy right now anyway. 

I did order the $45 worth of Amazon gift cards to get a $10 free Amazon gift card.

I got a pair of Sketcher sandals I have wanted.

And I got the Rubbermaid set as ours is falling apart.

But those aren't big things and not worth sitting around waiting a long time for.

• Like 1

Apparently they will offer many cheaper items than Amazon, but less selection. They will charge a $50 annual fee if I recall correctly. The thinking is that people will only belong to one site or the other, not both. Right now I don't see too much appeal to Jet because if I can't get as many things then what's the point? I'm thinking shipping speed is similar to Prime.

They really should offer the first year free (or a few months) so that people can really get a feel for it first.  

• Like 1

I am sorely tempted by the Roomba for $250.

i just bought a Neato last month and part of the reason was the cost. I'm happy with my Neato but if I had waited until today I might have been tempted to get the Roomba.

Any Fire TV owners here? If we already have (and love) a Roku is there any benefit to getting the Fire TV Stick? 

I'm seriously considering Echo. We've been thinking about it for a while anyway.

We have a Fire TV stick.  There is no benefit over the Roku IMO.  AFAIK it does not have all the channels that Roku has (like no youtube).  We got the stick when it was $19 and have it on the boys' WiiU TV upstairs.  I like that they can watch DigiMon and other annoying shows on Netflix up there rather than on the main TV in our living room (which has the Roku and AppleTV attached - we don't have cable).

I never like the Black Friday deals at Amazon, so I guess I just wasn't expecting much.

• Like 1

Well that might be good for me. If ds gets the Fire Stick then no YouTube!! (sorry but I hate that channel)

Yeah, I meant to say that was actually a plus for us since it's on the boys' TV and I don't like them watching youtube videos without one of the other people in the house there with them, but I got distracted and forgot to add it lol

• Like 1

i just bought a Neato last month and part of the reason was the cost. I'm happy with my Neato but if I had waited until today I might have been tempted to get the Roomba.

Any Fire TV owners here? If we already have (and love) a Roku is there any benefit to getting the Fire TV Stick? 

I'm seriously considering Echo. We've been thinking about it for a while anyway.

We have a Fire TV Stick.  We use it to switch back and forth with our apple TV, but that's not an issue for you.  The big bonus for us was that we took it on vacation.  It works in hotel rooms and it worked in the other places we stayed - any place that has wifi.  DH occasionally takes it on business travel for the same purpose.

We got it on sale for $20, right when they came out, and it's been worth the small cost.

We also have an Echo.  We are testing it out for DH's company, so we didn't buy it, and technically it's going to them eventually.  It's useful for a few things, but I wouldn't buy one.  We don't have much in the Amazon music library, and it doesn't sync with iTunes, so that's an issue for us, but maybe not for you.  We primarily use it for setting timers, asking the weather, and it's replaced the ubiquitous, "Mom, how do you spell...?"    

(Although once DD(4) asked, "Alexa, how do you spell apple?" and Alex helpfully spelled out loud a**hole. AAACK!

• Like 4

Well, I missed the Echo deal. So much for that idea. No tragedy, it's just something we've been thinking about and thought it would be fun to have.

Thanks for the replies on the Fire Stick. We have 3 Rokus, and I guess if I get any streaming stick to take on vacation it should be the Roku stick. The price is on the Fire Stick is good though - $24.

There's nothing else there calling to me.

I'm out. :)

• Like 1

We have a Fire TV Stick. We use it to switch back and forth with our apple TV, but that's not an issue for you. The big bonus for us was that we took it on vacation. It works in hotel rooms and it worked in the other places we stayed - any place that has wifi. DH occasionally takes it on business travel for the same purpose.

We got it son sale for $20, right when they came out, and it's been worth the small cost.

I wanted to do this last week and my husband didn't think it would work. So glad to know it does! I'm taking it on my next trip!

oops i just posted another thread about this sale--didn't see it here.

I did get younger a 50 dollar kindle and myself a new point and shoot for 60--the one i have had for 6 years is so heavy i hate carrying it around, and I don't like using my phone for photos. 

So i am happy. 

I think what amazon should do is surprise everyone with 50% off 3 items on their wish list or saved in their cart for later--we get to pick :) Now THAT woiuld be a sale!!!

• Like 6

With the exception of a few things, mostly electronics--like the kindles and stuff--it just looks like Amazon found a bunch of crap in their warehouses that wasn't selling and decided to throw it all on lightening deal.

Or maybe I'm a total party pooper. It's ok, y'all can tell me I'm just a party pooper. Lol

• Like 27

With the exception of a few things, mostly electronics--like the kindles and stuff--it just looks like Amazon found a bunch of crap in their warehouses that wasn't selling and decided to throw it all on lightening deal.

Or maybe I'm a total party pooper. It's ok, y'all can tell me I'm just a party pooper. Lol

:lol:  :lol: I was kind of thinking the same thing. 

• Like 1

If you're a party pooper, I am too. There's just nothing exciting there. Plus I'm not a lightning deal kind of shopper, especially when it comes to large purchases. I want to research it, read reviews. compare prices, then decide if I really need it (or even want it badly enough to spend the money). Dh is the same way. We do well when buying big things because neither of us buys impulsively.

Maybe my shopping style is also why Black Friday doesn't excite me.

• Like 3