Menu

Climbing to Good English

MarigoldHS

I'm thinking of moving over to this curriculum and I just have a couple of questions.

1) My rising second grader just finished FLL 1 and I would like to continue with FLL 2 and WWE next year and then start her on Climbing to Good English in grade 3.  Would this sequence work well?  Do we start CGE at grade level?

2) My rising 4th grader has been using a mishmash of Language Arts materials.  We starting HSing when he was in second and it was really difficult to figure out his language abilities.  He has done part of MCT Grammar Island and Practice Island, GUM Drops, IEW SWI-A, a little bit of FLL and WWE, some Evan Moor mechanics etc.  This haphazard approach is making me crazy.  I want to continue IEW and throw in a solid grammar program that we can build on and CGE really appeals to me.  He is advanced and was a very early reader/speller.  Can I start him at Grade Level 4 with CGE?  Will this jive OK with IEW?

Thank you so much!!!!

I think both plans will work just fine. CTGE includes writing lessons and while we use WWE alongside them and it works out fine, I am not familiar enough with IEW to say if it will be overkill or not. But if you need to skip the writing in CTGE, it is easily done.

• Like 1

Thank you Hollhock!  you have helped put my mind at ease!!!

Anyone else???  Any other experienced Climbing to Good English users out there?

Yes, but I don't have much to add. If doing both IEW and the writing in R&S English is too much, you can either drop IEW OR skip the writing assignments in R&S. You don't have to do both.

Otherwise your plans look great!

I've used levels 1, 3, 4, and 5  of Climbing to Good English. Your plan should be fine. You may want to skip the writing chapters in CTGE 4 if you're doing IEW with your 4th grader or perhaps just abbreviate them. My kids and I became burnt out on the type and format of CTGE but it really is a solid and complete program. AND the price is right. They are happily using CLE LA right now, but for what it's worth I think the writing instruction in CTGE is far superior to CLE's.