Menu

Career advice for ex schoolteachers

fairfarmhand

I have a friend who up till last year taught school. She was good at it.

She quit though. She's looking for a new line of work.

Most importantly, she wants a job that she can be "done" at the end of the day. No stacks of paper to grade. No lesson plans to fill out. She felt that in teaching, she was either letting down her family or letting down her students.

What does an ex schoolteacher do for a job?

(she taught middle school science)

I suggested librarian or extension agent.

Ideas?

Tutoring.  (but she might like this better as a free-lance tutor, rather than working for one of those "big-box" tutoring outfits)

A good-quality library professional program is a two-year, graduate school degree program.  (Many are one-year, but not enough can be covered in so short a period.)  I guess you mean as a para-professional, for which pay would be pits.

If she wants lots of flexibility (and does not need benefits), with her credentials she could pick up money as a sub.

Is she interested in a similar field, or wanting/willing to go a completely new direction - ?

Is she a breadwinner, or can she take a hit in income and still be financially solvent - ?

She'd do well in customer service, and any job that requires general (but unofficial) herding and management of personalities, the ability to not get flustered in minor chaotic situations, and the skill to not take personally every whine or whinny she encounters. The things she dealt with as a teacher would make management a realistic goal, too, but that's getting back into taking work home.

Ideas include: barista, waitress, tutor for big name company, private tutor, cashier, counter help at small diner, flight attendant, paid church employee (religious ed, admin assist), paid coordinator at non-profits, paid staff at city rec center or gym, substitute teacher, museum docent, tour guide, colleges/universities (registrar, advising), local ISD (curriculum buying, admin), educational consultant, personal assistant or executive secretary, create afterschool/summer camps independently or through city offerings, real estate (but she'd definitely work afterhours), human resources, any kind of project management, and - if she's open to a bit more schooling - nursing.

It sounds like she LEFT versus RETIRED which I'm guessing to mean she still has some years left ahead to be working. Some of my suggestions would qualify more as WORK than CAREER and may not be desirable, then, but do meet her need to clock in/out rather than live in the job.  If she needs a career, she should consider some kind of advising (educational, financial, etc.) or admin (educational) because she can make that transition fairly easy, sooner.

Here, librarians require that specific degree and the jobs are hard to come by. But we have a few former teachers who work at the library in the kids' programming area, so that may be another option.

• Like 1

She doesn't mind branching out.

And the pay isn't a huge of a deal as it could be. She's not the primary breadwinner, but both kids are in school and she doesn't just want to sit around at home. She'd prefer a long term "I really like this" deal as opposed to " It's better than sitting at home bored."

Might she consider taking on a class or two in things very different from what she's done to see if there is something out there she might feel passionate about that is very different from teaching?

You know she might consider Broadcast TV as a writer or see if she could work as an intern and get to know various job positions. There are a ton of jobs behind the scenes that are interesting, a bit differeny every day and you can walk away from each evening.

How about a corporate trainer? She'd just need to work on the new "content" she would need to teach. The thing I appreciate about teachers (among other things) is their ability to get a large group of people (usually distracted children) all doing the same thing. I'd look for those jobs -- emergency response, community organizing, volunteer management, instructing at a local museum (we have a science museum that hires teachers). We have a number of "traditional skills" courses in our area that are blends of outdoor survival and science. She could definitely focus on the science aspect of something like that. 

• Like 2