Menu

Lots of good choices for Precalc. All four of my kids used Blitzer - three in PS and DD14 at home. For DD, we picked up a used textbook and the solutions manual.

If we hadn't used Blitzer for DD, I was looking at Lial's for Precalc.

My dd took pre-Cal through Wilson Hill with Anne Stublen this past year for 11th grade.  Wonderful experience!

:iagree: DS also took pre-calc with Anne Stublen and had a great experience. Anne is an awesome instructor and has a very positive attitude with students. She's unknowingly been a great mentor for my son. He's recommending Mrs. Stublen to his sister.

• Like 3

My daughter is using Derick Owen's online course.  She likes the short videos and feels his explanations are excellent.  Since it's not a live class, self discipline is needed to stay on schedule though.

:iagree: Derek Owens is great. The only other issue aside from the needing self-discipline, is the fact that it's not really an on-line class. He has a collection of videos you watch and a syllabus you work through, but it's not a class that you're taking in real time. So if your dc has a question about something, he/she has to email Derek or his assistant to get the answer. And that answer doesn't always come on the same day. The asynchronicity of the class is the only drawback, imo.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

What precalculus course would you recommend for a high school junior?  

My son took precalculus as a dual enrolled student at a local community college.  The college had a one semester 6 credit option and a two semester option of two 3 credit courses.  He went with the two semester option, which was good, because the first class was pretty demanding.

I liked that it gave him experience in a college classroom setting and a little exposure to the process of registering for courses, checking professor ratings, buying books, etc.  It also gave him two instructors to ask for teacher recommendations.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Lots of good choices for Precalc. All four of my kids used Blitzer - three in PS and DD14 at home. For DD, we picked up a used textbook and the solutions manual.

If we hadn't used Blitzer for DD, I was looking at Lial's for Precalc.

So did your kids do the Blitzer  book in its entirety?

So did your kids do the Blitzer book in its entirety?

Yes. It's a pretty comprehensive book. We ended up rushing the last two chapters to fit them in for DD15 before we left on a vacation, but they were mostly introductions of calculus topics, so not a problem.