Menu

Ramona the Pest, Beezus and Ramona... do you let your kids read them?

Yes.  Except we go more for the Fudge series here. ;)  They're funny, and a good way for kids to see they're not alone in their feelings.  The love is shown along with the everyday annoyances and things to deal with.

There are very few books I discourage/ban here: Junie B Jones (she annoys me), Lolita, any terrorism how-to manual...LOL  For the most part we treat books as having something to offer.

• Like 7

I wouldn't discourage them if the child wanted to read them, but I disliked them as a child and have seen no real reason to introduce them.

I don't think kids would pick up bad attitudes from them, I just found them irritating.

• Like 3

Ok, I'll admit it, I let my ds listen to the audio versions of the Ramona books.   :blushing:   And not only does he listen to them, he listens to them so many times, over and over, that he MEMORIZES them.  Seriously.  I can't STAND the reader's voice, so I have him leave the room or use earbuds or turn it down.  I have no clue what's in them.  However I will tell you that for his mix of social delays, etc. it's actually good.  He did something in gymnastics that surprised me (raising his hand to ask to go to the bathroom, self-advocating, something he was having problems with), and afterward, when I asked him where he figured that out, he says from the Ramona books!  

That's like the American Girl books.  I think they're tripe, and I only let my dd read them on occasion and then put them away.  With ds, I'm probably going to get some guides and do unit studies.  Books are timely for some kids and not others, at some times and not others, in some amounts and not others.  So depending on your kid, I don't think it will kill them to read them once or ruin their behavior.  But to meditate on them like Scripture?  Yeah, some kids are probably better off moving on, lol.  For some kids, they're actually a useful tool.  Henry Huggins books, same deal.  It puts emotions into words that my ds might have a hard time sorting out, therefore I let him get exposed to this variety of humanity.

• Like 2

I have a short list of three or four book series I don't buy with my own money (but the kids are welcome to pick up from the library or purchase themselves if they like). I have exactly one series of books I've threatened to actually ban (Dork Diaries) and that's because after the girls started reading them, their behavior went rapidly downhill and they were insulting each other all the time. (They've since moved past those books, and I couldn't be happier.)

I have a somewhat larger list of books I'll buy, but don't go out of my way to encourage. A lot of older books are on that list due to implicit racism. I'm not a fan of censorship, even for kids, but we have ample choices that we don't have to push problematic books.

Ramona isn't on any of those three lists. I find the young characters act very much like real children, and their sibling bickering is tempered with genuine affection and love. The sisters don't always get along, but they ultimately do stick together.

However, if this is something of a pet peeve for you, a word of advice: Don't buy the Judy Moody books. They're on my "not my money" list for exactly that reason. Blech.

• Like 2

I loved these books along with the Henry Huggins and the Ralph Mouse series. They fueled my love for reading when I was in the fourth grade. I was fine with my kids reading these books for their outside of school, leisure reading but they didn't connect to them like I did.

• Like 4

Yes.  I remember reading and enjoying them as a child (and I still think of Ramona any time I'm shopping for beef and see something that looks like tongue).  Cleary is one of the few authors I read as a child that I let my boys read (I read a lot of junk).

• Like 1

Actually I read the whole Ramona series aloud to my kids over dinner.  We all love them.  They are fun and genuine.  Once in a while a sister gets frustrated, but these are very normal, relatively mild incidents and they are dealt with appropriately.

30 years ago, I read these books with my kid sister, and I remember my dad listening in because he loved them too.  :)  Certainly not a danger to society.  ;)

• Like 7

We really, really like the Henry Huggins books, and have enjoyed some of the Ramona series as well.  I think there is a maturity window when kids are able to experience the emotional issues in those types of books and work through the perspectives of the characters.  I love how Beverly Cleary doesn't take sides, emotionally - Ramona feels one way, "Beezus" has another viewpoint, and the characters learn to understand each other. 

Have you tried her book, Socks?  It takes the point of view of a cat whose people have a baby.  Dd has been sympathetic toward my cat, who is 3 years her senior in the household, ever since she read it.

I don't think Judy Bloom does that.  I hate her books.  (Sorry to any who love them....)  Her characters are SO self-centered and they never rise from that perspective.  It is as if she and other children's writers think kids can't grow out of their childishness.  Perhaps I think that because I started with SuperFudge. 

When I was a pre-teen, I read the entire series of "Mandy" books.  Anybody remember those?  In retrospect, they were Christian trash literature.  The main character repeatedly disrespects and hurts others, and aside from tearful apologies, never grows.  I remember feeling so angry while reading them, so much angst.  I empathized, but didn't grow.

Actually, I think this is the POINT of great literature - to experience someone else's life so you can empathize with them and those you might who are like them, without slogging through all their experiences yourself!  I just finished Madam Bovary.  I really struggled to understand her, but you know, I think I've met her IRL!  There are ideas she embraced (hahah, pun) that I have seen lived out to bad effect.  Also, I now understand why that book got the author in trouble for indecency... oh boy.  That will be interesting to discuss in highschool!  Anyway.

A friend of mine put aside The Secret Garden because they didn't like the main characters half-way through.  But that is the point!  Those characters are extremely selfish, and then something wild happens and they grow.  When we finished that audio book on a road trip, I turned it off and heard a quiet, "Wow," from the back seat.  That is what I want from great literature. 

• Like 13

I have a short list of three or four book series I don't buy with my own money (but the kids are welcome to pick up from the library or purchase themselves if they like). I have exactly one series of books I've threatened to actually ban (Dork Diaries) and that's because after the girls started reading them, their behavior went rapidly downhill and they were insulting each other all the time. (They've since moved past those books, and I couldn't be happier.)

I have a somewhat larger list of books I'll buy, but don't go out of my way to encourage. A lot of older books are on that list due to implicit racism. I'm not a fan of censorship, even for kids, but we have ample choices that we don't have to push problematic books.

Ramona isn't on any of those three lists. I find the young characters act very much like real children, and their sibling bickering is tempered with genuine affection and love. The sisters don't always get along, but they ultimately do stick together.

However, if this is something of a pet peeve for you, a word of advice: Don't buy the Judy Moody books. They're on my "not my money" list for exactly that reason. Blech.

I loved the books as a child, still love them today :)  The children act like children.  They're good-hearted and want to do well.  Although they make plenty of mistakes, there's also a determination to make things right, and plenty of forgiveness.  

Now, don't get me started on Junie B. Jones.  That's the only book series I've outright banned. 

• Like 7

Yes, my kids can read them.  I have never noticed my kids being affected by the way characters in a book act.  TV and movies, however, are a different story.  I think it just affects them differently when they are like real life vs. words on a page and what you "see" in your head.

Sure. I read them over and over and over as a kid, and just look how I turned out! :001_cool:

(Actually, I was rather bummed that I couldn't get my older two girls hooked on them. There's still one more daughter to go; there is hope!)

• Like 1

I allow them to read them. There are some books I'm not ok with but for the most part their free reading books are whatever they want to read. The only rule is it has to be at their reading level. I do have them read 20 pages a day of an assigned reading book. Funny enough we are going through the mensa reading list and Ramona Quimbly is on one of the list. 

When they were younger; no. The kids are a terrible example many times.

But as a fifth, almost sixth grader my dd and I read the entire series and laughed and laughed at the adorable antics, thoughts etc! Since at this point she was so much older than Ramona it was just a wonderful foray into some literature that is so well written, realistic and funny, as well as giving her so much compassion on what the thought processes are of little kids.

• Like 1

PS if you read the entire series you will see that Ramona and Beezus both grow in love and maturity throughout, and you are so proud of them as they mature!!!

Exactly.  I'm pretty picky about what we read, and we love Beezus and Ramona!

• Like 3

I don't have any problem with the Ramona books.  We have a few that belonged to my sister, and while they weren't my dd10's favorites at all, my dd7 just loves them.  She really identifies with Ramona - having a bossy older sister, feeling like she is always less capable - and she has a similar personality in many ways.

I find the characters in the books very authentic, which I think is also why dd7 likes them - she likes realistic stories. 

The reading level is well targeted as well I think.

• Like 2

I totally agree about Ramona and Beezus. They're the most real siblings. I think my favorite story in them is when Beezus is watching Ramona as a preschooler and she's just so sick of her so they play hide and seek. And then later Beezus can't find her and she freaks out. Like, completely freaks out. She's so guilty and desperate to find her. Of course, Ramona is hiding with the giant box of apples taking a single bite out of every single one of them. So as soon as Beezus finds her, she is at first thrilled and then completely dismayed by all the ruined apples.

But I disagree about Judy Moody and Stink. They're nice to each other! They're not quite the same literary caliber of Ramona, but they did that book where they had the pirate treasure hunt together, and Judy lets Stink in the toad pee club... they poke fun at each other a lot - they like to tease each other and sort of pick on each other, but I think that's a genuine sibling relationship too. Judy doesn't whine about him hanging out with her friends and they're usually pretty sweet.

• Like 7

We like them...I read them with DD when she was 7 or 8 and she has re-read them on her own many times. They aren't the style of book that my boys really get into, so I haven't read them to the boys. I agree that the dialog/sibling treatment isn't much different than what I see among my kids or other kids anyway. I mean, we work really hard on treating each other with love and respect but the kids really get on each other's nerves...lol! I might have more pause for reading them with a younger kid who seemed particularly susceptible to trying out other people's "bad ideas." My DD was able to laugh at Ramona's antics and wouldn't dream of trying them herself, but I have one DS in particular who might just decide to "try out" a bad idea to see what would happen... :-)

I totally agree about Ramona and Beezus. They're the most real siblings. I think my favorite story in them is when Beezus is watching Ramona as a preschooler and she's just so sick of her so they play hide and seek. And then later Beezus can't find her and she freaks out. Like, completely freaks out. She's so guilty and desperate to find her. Of course, Ramona is hiding with the giant box of apples taking a single bite out of every single one of them. So as soon as Beezus finds her, she is at first thrilled and then completely dismayed by all the ruined apples.

But I disagree about Judy Moody and Stink. They're nice to each other! They're not quite the same literary caliber of Ramona, but they did that book where they had the pirate treasure hunt together, and Judy lets Stink in the toad pee club... they poke fun at each other a lot - they like to tease each other and sort of pick on each other, but I think that's a genuine sibling relationship too. Judy doesn't whine about him hanging out with her friends and they're usually pretty sweet.

Well, I think you and I are just going to have to disagree on Judy Moody. But it's good to have a second opinion :)

OP, pre-read Judy Moody before you buy it, how about that?

• Like 1

There is no book out there that SOMEbody isn't concerned about.

True, true. There are plenty of things I wouldn't want mine to read until they are older, but others are comfortable with theirs reading at younger ages, so this makes a lot of sense!

Oh gosh, we LOVE everything Ramona and Beezus in this house! I had no idea there was a concern about kids reading these! We also love the movie!!

We liked the movie, also.  Neat how they took bits and pieces from the different books to make it.  My girls and I enjoyed thumbing back through all the books and identifying the bits from the movie. :)

Oh gosh, we LOVE everything Ramona and Beezus in this house! I had no idea there was a concern about kids reading these! We also love the movie!!

Me too! I'm flabbergasted that anybody WOULDN'T let their kids read these books! I have so many great memories of them, and dd loved them as much as I did. Can't wait to share them with ds in a couple of years.

As an older sister, I always identified more with Beezus, but I always wished I could be more like Ramona!

• Like 2

I think it might depend on the kids' age when they are read.  We read most of the books just when my kids were that same age (or in the same grade).  They had recently had many of the same experiences Ramona was going through so it was really relate-able for them.

In relative terms, IMO Ramona ranks pretty high for girls around age 6-8.  I would at least give it a try and see if the kids like it.  For a good reader, it is an easy read.

:iagree:  :lol: I could totally see one of my kids doing something like that ... not to be naughty, but out of childish curiosity.  

I remember reading the Ramona books when I was in early elementary and I related to her so much.  She doesn't understand why people think she's a pest.  I got her bewilderment.   I remember reading about her being told to leave for school at a quarter after.  So, she figured that a quarter is 25 cents so she left at 25 minutes after and ended up late.  I had to ask my mom what was wrong with that and she had to explain to me that it was a quarter of the clock meaning 15 minutes.   

• Like 3

So, she figured that a quarter is 25 cents so she left at 25 minutes after and ended up late.

And neither she nor her teacher could figure out exactly what happened!

My favorite Ramona scene is definitely the one where, the day after she complained to her family that her teacher hates her and never lets her say the Pledge, her teacher calls her up to lead the Pledge - and that's the day she's missing a shoe.

My kids were in silent giggles when we got to that part, because they *knew* as soon as she stepped into the classroom what was going to happen.

My kids liked the Ramona books.  We haven't watched the movie(s) yet.

Growing up, my parents basically said we could read anything, and buying books was not part of our allowance.   They didn't care if we wanted to read comics or Shakespeare.  That we liked to read was all that was important.  Although I went on to college and grad school and my brother never went beyond high school, both of us are voracious readers and love to watch educational TV, documentaries, etc.  I consider my parents' philosophy to be part of the reason why.

• Like 2

Ds LOVED Ramona, and Henry Huggins too. Although we did have a box of Kleenex where all the tissues mysteriously got pulled out of the box.....

We also have our own PTA story with our youngest, who insisted on getting some food item that didn't exist.

Yes. But the author handles the ugliness siblings can give each other VERY well.

Really.  I appreciate that people write books for kids like mine.

One favorite scene: Ramona gets so wound up at the dinner table she goes "I'm going to say a bad word!" Her parents tell her to go ahead if it will make her feel better. So she starts saying "GUTS. GUTS. GUTS GUTS GUTS!"

• Like 8

Yes. But the author handles the ugliness siblings can give each other VERY well.

Really.  I appreciate that people write books for kids like mine.

One favorite scene: Ramona gets so wound up at the dinner table she goes "I'm going to say a bad word!" Her parents tell her to go ahead if it will make her feel better. So she starts saying "GUTS. GUTS. GUTS GUTS GUTS!"

:lol: That's one of my favorites, too.

And the time Ramona invites all the kids in the neighborhood for a party and Beezus and their mom have to figure out how to entertain 20 preschoolers on a rainy afternoon.

And the "Dawnzer Song." And the time she decided to run away and her mother packed her suitcase with all the heavy stuff so she couldn't lift it. Or got stuck in the mud with her new boots. Or threw up in class.

And when she came down with "siblingitis" -- mostly because my youngest sister was born around the time I read that one, and I totally had siblingitis too...

Somebody above nailed it -- I think I loved those characters so much because they were just so REAL.

BTW, if you were/have a Ramona fan, I highly recommend Beverly Cleary's autobiography, A Girl from Yamhill. I must have read it as many times as I read her fiction books.

• Like 9

I encouraged my kids love of Beverly Cleary because I loved her books so much. When each of my kids turned 4/5, I started reading aloud the Ramona series. Now I'm reading the Henry Huggins series to j, and M is reading them to herself. I LOVE Beverly Cleary. I even read her autobiography (biography? I don't remember now) as a kid. Socks is a good book too!

Yes, we let the kids read them. We had most of them because my mom saved all my copies and they were in decent shape. I had a lot of bad influences in my youth but I never considered Ramona to be one of them. Even if one of the kids fills the sink with toothpaste (I have one child I'm keeping my eye on for that business), I don't think I'll be sorry for keeping those books around.