Menu

Anyone combining WTM method with TOG?

lea1

In January I will have two 5th grader sons and we will be ready to start our second round of history, starting in ancients.  I already have the first year of TOG but doing it the WTM way sure sounds great too.  I would really like to mix the best of both ways but am wondering how that would work out.  Is anyone already doing it that way?

I am thinking of using the reading from TOG, although sometimes I might trade out for something on the WTM list or mix them up a bit.  I would like to have the discussions so we would need to use the accountability/thinking questions to prepare (maybe just thinking?) but I would like to follow WTM for outlining, summarizing and possibly writing facts, although that may end up being too much writing with the accountability/thinking questions.  Both plans call for keeping a timeline and we will definitely do that and we would do map work, possibly from TOG....I have the geography coloring book but have not looked at mapping possibilities enough to decide which way to go on this.

If anyone is already doing something similar, I would love to hear how you are doing it and how it is working out for you.

alot I could ramble  about but can be brief...

just keep in mind things will change when you get to your third cycle.  The workload is heavy.

Thanks, yes, I know it will be very different for the third cycle.  But for the second cycle I would like to find a balance between still enjoying the storyline that TOG puts together with their selections and the goals stated in WTM of learning to research, outline, and summarize. The hard part is finding the nice balance.  Maybe it is alternating tasks every other week, or something like that.  But I was hoping to find someone that is maybe already doing this type of thing.  Thanks for your response though.

I used TOG with my oldest - the history, literature, poetics, some philosophy and government. I did my own thing for writing, she did literary essays, research essays, summaries and one large research paper. The discussions still started with the topics in TOG - we always added (we may like to talk / debate). She learned quickly that way how to support her opinions and thoughts with statements other than "because." So you could do that without tossing out the baby with the bathwater.

• Like 1

I'm planning on doing exactly that with my dialectic child. He'll either outline from Streams of Civilization or Kingfisher. (I'm favoring Kingfisher, but I have to plan the pages.) We'll skip the accountability and thinking questions, and I'll have him write from his outline. He will complete the history reading assignments as planned.

TOG's geography and TWTM seem to coordinate fairly well. I adore the literature worksheets at the dialectic level, so we'll do those. Each week we'll discuss history and literature together.

A couple years ago, one rhetoric son loved answering the questions while to other couldn't stand it. Instead he read the reading assignments before writing a paper on the topic of his choice. Both boys were happy and able to participate well in the weekly discussions.

I used TOG with my oldest - the history, literature, poetics, some philosophy and government. I did my own thing for writing, she did literary essays, research essays, summaries and one large research paper. The discussions still started with the topics in TOG - we always added (we may like to talk / debate). She learned quickly that way how to support her opinions and thoughts with statements other than "because." So you could do that without tossing out the baby with the bathwater.

I'm planning on doing exactly that with my dialectic child. He'll either outline from Streams of Civilization or Kingfisher. (I'm favoring Kingfisher, but I have to plan the pages.) We'll skip the accountability and thinking questions, and I'll have him write from his outline. He will complete the history reading assignments as planned.

TOG's geography and TWTM seem to coordinate fairly well. I adore the literature worksheets at the dialectic level, so we'll do those. Each week we'll discuss history and literature together.

A couple years ago, one rhetoric son loved answering the questions while to other couldn't stand it. Instead he read the reading assignments before writing a paper on the topic of his choice. Both boys were happy and able to participate well in the weekly discussions.

Thank you both for the feedback.  This definitely sounds like it could work well.  The trick will be finding the right balance of work without burning us all out.