Menu

HELP!!! Washer just died, need to buy one today:{

Dina in Oklahoma

We bought an LG washer. Plain old white.

Why?

1. My German friends constantly complain about how awful American washers are

2. It is big

3. Germans have used front loaders forever, so I expect they know more of what they are doing

4. Great reviews

Emily

• Like 1

Speed Queen! If you search the forums for washer reviews, you'll see an overwhelming number in favor of the SQ. I purchased one 2 years ago and absolutely love it. The delivery guy even commented that they never have to work on them and he'd just purchased one for his elderly mother. 

• Like 3

We bought an LG washer. Plain old white.

Why?

1. My German friends constantly complain about how awful American washers are

2. It is big

3. Germans have used front loaders forever, so I expect they know more of what they are doing

4. Great reviews

Emily

???  Isn't LG a Korean company?

I have an LG front loader, and my only complaint is that there's only one service company here that can work on LG.  Oh, and apparently liquid fabric softener does an amazing job at encouraging mold growth.

• Like 1

???  Isn't LG a Korean company?

I have an LG front loader, and my only complaint is that there's only one service company here that can work on LG.  Oh, and apparently liquid fabric softener does an amazing job at encouraging mold growth.

Yes. LG is based in South Korea. My impression is that they kind of imitate Samsung, but the comments here in this thread, about their Washing Machines are very favorable. The LG products we have had have been Consumer Electronics and I don't have a good impression of them, but Appliances are a different breed.

• Like 1

Whirlpool Duet here, not on stands (though they would be fine too).  Just take the plunge and enjoy.  You'll love it whether you get a Duet or the LG.  I think at this point they've worked out the kinks that were making frontloaders problematic for a while (moldy boots, not having a heater, etc.).  Now they just work.  Love, love, and you will too.  :)

• Like 1

INTERESTING!!! After researching, I found LG rates high on "BEST" lists, but when looking at user reviews, the reviews are at both ends of the scale in large numbers. Seems people LOVE them or HATE them. The complains about LG are related to leaks, control problems, and poor customer service. LG was my initial choice but will compare a few more.Our current washer is a GE and lasted 14 years but they don't seem to rate quite as highly now although the technology has changed greatly since then.

Off to check out a few more of your recommendations...please keep them coming!!! Thanks

We have an LG top loader (no agitator, "wave action" I think, clear glass lid)...I'm on the fence about them.  I feel like this model just swirls the water around and the clothes are moderately clean.  We have hard water and even with bleach/oxyclean/soak cycle, my hot whites just don't seem as white as they should be? 

The owner of our rental had left her machines here while they sorted out their next duty station and she had a Kenmore Elite front loader w/d and I *may* have fallen in love with them.  They are pricey, but the dryer kept up with the washer and the washer seemed to get out a lot of stains.  She finally had them moved out last month, so now we have our LG pair set up.

If you do go with LG...be aware that any old drain hose will not work.  The one that came with the washer was all moldy by the time we set up our w/d in this house.  We bought a universal drain hose from Home Depot...it is not a tight enough fit and it leaked a lot of water even during the washing cycles (not even the draining cycles).  We will have to order a drain hose from Sears, I don't want mold creeping back into the washer from the hose. 

ETA:  The drain hose is $43!!!  Sigh.

• Like 1

Well, I hated our Frigidaire front load. It broke so many times that the extended warranty eventually replaced it.

I'm happy with our Samsung. It seems reliable in that we've never had any issues in 3.5 years, and I am a heavy user (2 loads a day nearly every day). It so quiet, too.

• Like 1

Can't speak to a front loader but we just had to replace our washer, and we picked a top load without the agitator.  The capacity is huge, and I love no agitator.  I love the big capacity.  It's noisy, though.  We got ours at Lowe's.  My advice is to read the reviews on whatever you select.  If at least two people says it's noisy - believe it!

• Like 1

Yes. LG is based in South Korea. My impression is that they kind of imitate Samsung, but the comments here in this thread, about their Washing Machines are very favorable. The LG products we have had have been Consumer Electronics and I don't have a good impression of them, but Appliances are a different breed.

We have an LG fridge and it is JUNK pure and simple.  I will never buy another LG anything!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/07/lg_refrigerators.html

We bought a Samsung washer and dryer about a year ago and it's been great so far.  Our LG fridge was poorly designed from the get go and was causing problems within a year.  SInce this is not about fridges, I'll spare you details but it has lots of issues.  We still have it but it's falling apart.  I have a 25 year old fridge in better shape in my basement than the LG stainless fridge we bought 10 years ago in my kitchen.

• Like 2

I might be too late but we ended up buying a Maytag Maxima Washer and Dryer after reading what felt like thousands of reviews on Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

I needed something below a $900 price point per unit and with majority good reviews. 

Mine are front loading. The top loading ones (every brand) seem to be prone to ripping clothing and getting off balance. I could not tell you of one model where at least six reviewers did not complain of this problem. So as much as I wanted to avoid front load due to the reputation for smell, etc. I figured I was forced in that direction.

I did look at Speed Queen--it's an old agitator style. It is just as expensive as the Maytag though and from reviews it sounded like getting parts was a serious problem (took weeks to get parts even though easy to fix).  So I passed that one up. Many people say that it is a great unit. I have heard this is what the laundromats use.

So I went front load with the Maytag.  The front load issue is the issue of getting a smell if you close it, etc. I keep mine open and have not had a problem. I don't even use Affresh. I just throw some borax in a load every couple of weeks.  We are now about three-four months in and I still like them.  The only "problem" is that the controls are on the outside so they are easy to bump into and turn on accidentally. It's a really minor issue. You just turn it off again. Overall I am pleased with how they have worked for us.

I wish you success!!

• Like 1

Thanks so much  for the recommendations! DH was able to limp our old one along yesterday, so I didn't end up having to make a quick purchase. :tongue_smilie:  However, we will be making it VERY soon and are in the process of researching each recommendation. We certainly appreciate your responses.

BTW: Repair is not an option as parts are no longer made for our current model.

I found that the prices were very similar but service much better when I went to a local family owned appliance store vs. a big box place.  With free delivery and set up price was almost the same.

I went in and said I wanted a work horse washing machine and he pointed me to the speed queen top loader.  So far I have been very happy.  The clothes are MUCH cleaner than my LG front loader.......but we are hard on clothes as we live in the country, have a hobby farm and dh is a mechanic on the side.

One thing that is a big plus for me (ok, mostly a mental thing) is that I can start the machine filling up with water and then add the clothes as I go.  I can also fill it, have it agitate a few minutes and then turn it off and let them soak for hours or overnight.  I can also easily add that stray sock part way through the cycle as well.

• Like 2

INTERESTING!!! After researching, I found LG rates high on "BEST" lists, but when looking at user reviews, the reviews are at both ends of the scale in large numbers. Seems people LOVE them or HATE them. The complains about LG are related to leaks, control problems, and poor customer service. LG was my initial choice but will compare a few more.Our current washer is a GE and lasted 14 years but they don't seem to rate quite as highly now although the technology has changed greatly since then.

Off to check out a few more of your recommendations...please keep them coming!!! Thanks

I just got a new LG one, and so far I love it. I also saw the mixed reviews (which I found on all brands), but then I read somewhere that LG quality had changed dramatically for the better a few years ago. I also read that a big cause of premature failure on front loaders was excessive detergent usage. I gathered that powdered detergent is better for them than liquid in general, and a very small amount is best--like a tablespoon or tablespoon and a half. I've been using that with my new one, and the clothes are far cleaner than they've been in years. It's shocking really! (Supposedly too much detergent contributes to corrosion on something important.)

Oh, the other reason I chose LG was that I read a lot about water temperature being important. I ended up getting one with a steam function, so I could be sure that I could get a load very, very hot when needed. The other brands I looked at didn't have the same high temperature available at the same price point. 

• Like 2