Menu

Couch-to-5K: July 12-18

Eagle

c25k: July 12-18  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Workouts Finished

It's a new week! Let's hear about the progress everyone is making this week.

If you haven't started yet, it is not too late. We are doing the Couch to 5K beginner running plan. Several of us have either repeated weeks or started over, so we are at different points. Take the plunge and join us!

ETA: To do the poll, fill in the first workout when you do 1 run. When you do your subsequent runs you need to delete your vote and then you can vote for multiple options (for example, you can select BOTH Workout 1 and Workout 2).

• Like 4

I know several people who started running by taking part in running clinics. I would have never gotten started with that as I just don't have time with littles at home. Fitting in the 30 minutes to run has been enough of a challenge. And you ladies provide at least as much motivation (probably more!) than any local group.

But one thing I do miss is listening to experts giving running advice. I could have used a "don't overdo it" lecture before I got injured! So I was looking about online and found a good site for advice: Runner's World. Here is an interesting description of overtraining symptoms:

"Common symptoms of overtraining include the inability to finish a workout, poor energy levels, insomnia, weight gain or loss, aches and pains, depression and personality changes, sickness, an elevated resting heart rate on several consecutive mornings, and halted progress."

The rest of the article (What's the Difference Between Pushing Hard and Overtraining?) is here: http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/whats-the-difference-between-pushing-hard-and-overtraining

• Like 5

Week 6 Day 1 done. It was actually a little harder than the 20 minute jog. I think it was because I was expecting it to be easier, and I had to check my stopwatch more often. And probably because I was tired too.

• Like 4

Week 6 day 1 done. I agree with you pie. I thought it was tougher too. Maybe just Monday morning blahs. But I thought today was 6 min jogs and 3 min walks for some reason so was puzzled and surprised by the 5,8,5. Part of this is mental for me so I like being prepared. But good job getting it done!

• Like 4

I thought W6D1 was harder than the 20 minute run from W5D3 also. I'm sure that was partly due to my calves cramping up. That's never happened to me before. I kept going but it was uncomfortable and my feet started to feel kinda numb and heavy. Only one more interval run left and then just longer runs that build to 30 minutes.

My younger sister wants me to do a Warrior Dash with her this fall so I need to stick with this and build my endurance and speed. I'd love to make her keep up with me instead of the other way around. Especially since I'm twice her age - or was until she turned 17 yesterday. :-)

• Like 5

W3D1 is done. I got up before dh left for work this morning and went without the kids. That plus music meant it was a whole lot more fun. We started our new school year this week and with it still being summer and all the other stuff we do in the summer, I think I'll do this at least until the end of summer.

• Like 4

Well, I have to face the fact that I need some new shoes. I hope to get them today. I have rotated through three current pairs and none are working out great. I tend to hold on to shoes too long, though.

I also need to focus on stretching. My joints are fine, cardiovascular endurance is improving with every outing, but my lower leg muscles get tight. Gotta love being in the second half-century, aye? I think dd and I are going to try out a yoga class to help with general flexibility.

• Like 5

Week 2 Day 2 done. My ankle feels "twingey". Hopefully I can keep doing this. I love getting out and running!

Greta, how is your ankle doing?

I hope the twingieness passes quickly! My ankles have been doing well - hope it lasts! Thanks for asking. :)

• Like 5

Week 6 day 2 done! I'm psyched to have made it this far. I love how the app pushes me to do more than I think I can. So many times I would have stopped if on my own, but the app said I still had so many minutes to go. The breathing has much improved; legs still get tired. I really need to make sure I have great great music or something to get lost in while I run for the next few weeks. I need to stay motivated. Anyone listen to stories? Or just music? How would I even get books to listen to on my iPhone?

• Like 5

Well, I have to face the fact that I need some new shoes. I hope to get them today. I have rotated through three current pairs and none are working out great. I tend to hold on to shoes too long, though.

I also need to focus on stretching. My joints are fine, cardiovascular endurance is improving with every outing, but my lower leg muscles get tight. Gotta love being in the second half-century, aye? I think dd and I are going to try out a yoga class to help with general flexibility.

I bought new sneaks after the very first day, and wow, what a huge difference. My old ones were over 10 years old. Obviously not used for running! I went to a running store, they watched me walk and recommended two pairs to try. I bought one of the them and they've been great so far. I'm really glad I didn't just try to buy any old thing at a store.

I spend at least 15 minutes stretching in the am, sometimes closer to 20-25 before going out. For me I need to loosen my back as well. I think it does help. I'm not usually such a good stretcher but I'm also trying to set a good example for the kiddos, besides trying not to get hurt.

• Like 3

How would I even get books to listen to on my iPhone?

Audible, OverDrive, iTunes (from a CD version even), and I think iBooks.

Yesterday I listened to music I downloaded in the Amazon Music app. I also run Mapmyrun in the background and the C25K app. I start the music first, I open Mapmyrun and start my workout next, and I start my workout in the C25K app last. The C25K lowers the volume on my music when it gives the prompts. It worked really well.

• Like 1

Week 6 Day 2 done, but now my ankle is killing me! :( I don't get it - it was only little twinges before, and then it felt completely better, and now very suddenly it's the worst it's ever been. Sigh.....

Oh no! Make sure to ice it.

• Like 2

Week 6 Day 2 done. I had to pick a longer route. I started this going a little more than a mile. Last week I was going 1.7 miles. My new route is 2.25 miles. I think it will last a couple of weeks, but I'll need to move up to a whole 3 miles after that. :)

I hope your ankle heals soon Greta!

• Like 4

I finally made it back out there. Technically I am on W3D3, but my C25K did not prompt again and I was all off. So I ran a song, walked, a song etc. Not sure if that was harder or easier than what I was supposed to do. I'm not sure if it is my phone or the free version of the app, but it keeps stopping the prompt. Today I even really tried not to look at all so as not to mess it up, and it still missed the very first prompt. Not sure if it would matter if I paid for the real version or if I'm starting things in the wrong order. I have the Pandora app open at the same time.

Anyway, I felt good. I skipped last week, but walked over 30 miles on vacation, so skipping didn't seem to bother me too much, Hoping to keep it going. Consistency has never been a strength  :laugh:

• Like 4

Week 6 Day 2 done, but now my ankle is killing me! :( I don't get it - it was only little twinges before, and then it felt completely better, and now very suddenly it's the worst it's ever been. Sigh.....

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. You've been working so hard. I hope it gets better quickly for you.

• Like 3

Week 6 Day 2 done. I had to pick a longer route. I started this going a little more than a mile. Last week I was going 1.7 miles. My new route is 2.25 miles. I think it will last a couple of weeks, but I'll need to move up to a whole 3 miles after that. :)

I hope your ankle heals soon Greta!

My new routes include repeatedly running back and forth on the shady streets :). I had the perfect route for the first few weeks, but yes, it's a continual adjustment.

• Like 4

W3D2 is done. I'm not sure how I'll finish this week's workouts. It's supposed to get hot and humid again (and rainy). I'm tempted to go tomorrow, but that would be two workouts in a row and I'm not sure that's a good idea. I'm afraid it will be Monday until I'll be able to run again if I don't.

• Like 3

Well, the redness and swelling have gone away, so that's good. It's still very tender, and very stiff, so I don't think I will be running for awhile. :( Maybe I'll take some spin classes at my gym to try to keep what little aerobic fitness I have attained, while not stressing the ankle. Do you think that's a good idea?

• Like 2

I'm an avid runner, but DW is not.  She's decided to do the C25K program, with me joining her for motivation.  She calls me her personal trainer.  Today she/we completed Week 4, Day 3.  So far, so good!  I'm happy for her. 

• Like 5

Well, the redness and swelling have gone away, so that's good. It's still very tender, and very stiff, so I don't think I will be running for awhile. :( Maybe I'll take some spin classes at my gym to try to keep what little aerobic fitness I have attained, while not stressing the ankle. Do you think that's a good idea?

Depends on how your ankle feels. The spin classes I've taken have you standing while pedaling for part of it, though. What about swimming? Or water walking?

• Like 2

Depends on how your ankle feels. The spin classes I've taken have you standing while pedaling for part of it, though. What about swimming? Or water walking?

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the standing while pedaling parts. My gym does offer a number of water aerobics type classes, which I've never taken. Plus there are open swim hours of course. Maybe that's the way to go.

• Like 3

I finally was able to get out and complete W2D2 today. Our schedule the past week and a half combined with all of the rainy weather we have had made it difficult to get out. I felt slow moving today, but did do 2 miles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

W6D2. It went pretty well except that I did get shin splints again. I do a 3 mile loop and at the end of the C25k part (including the 5 minute warm-up) I still have 11 or 12 minutes to walk to get home. I think it will take some time after I finish the program to be able to run the whole 3 miles.

I need to figure out something to listen to while I run. I think it would be easier and go by faster if I had a distraction. I don't have a smart phone or an i-pod but my kids have a couple of old smart phones with CD's loaded onto them. If nothing else maybe I'll find some earbuds and listen to Adventures In Odyssey while I run. :-P

• Like 6

Everyone is doing great! I'm so impressed by how far along some of you are. Eagle, thanks for picking up the thread. Greta, hope your ankle heals quickly!

Ds & I just got back home. We didn't have much of an opportunity to run (nor much of a will as heat indexes were routinely above 100 & the humidity was pretty high), so we're going to try to get back in the groove tonight. We are still stuck in the week 3 loop (which I'm sure we'll need to repeat because we've have a little over a week w/ just one run during it).

• Like 5

Dh, ds, & I did a repeat of a week 3 run. Thank goodness it was only in the high 80s tonight! What a relief after all the really hot weather we've had. Unfortunately, ds twisted his ankle right at the end of our last running interval.

ETA: I downloaded the free version of Spotify to my phone & liked that there were varied playlists to pick from for music. I kind of like having access to a variety of music that I don't have to compile myself, lol. They had all sorts of workout playlists (plus many other types too). It worked for me. (The free version does have ads, but I only had one ad come on during my run so that wasn't too bad, imo.)

• Like 4

Week 6 day 3 done! I'm so happy! There was a break finally in the rainy day and It fortunately stayed mostly dry until I was done. I ended up repeating loops so I didn't get caught too far from home.

I was worried I'd lose my motivation if I didn't get it done this am. That is not my strong suit. Breathing was a little tough during the last few minutes and I'm still not breaking any speed records with my 12 minute miles, but that's okay. Slow and steady am I :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

• Like 4

Glad it's looking better and hope some rest heals it.

• Like 3

Week 6 day 3 done! I'm so happy! There was a break finally in the rainy day and It fortunately stayed mostly dry until I was done. I ended up repeating loops so I didn't get caught too far from home.

I was worried I'd lose my motivation if I didn't get it done this am. That is not my strong suit. Breathing was a little tough during the last few minutes and I'm still not breaking any speed records with my 12 minute miles, but that's okay. Slow and steady am I :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Good for you!!! It's tough to stick with this in bad weather. Slow and steady is my plan too. :)

• Like 2

Week 2 complete! I'm back to where I was when I got injured. I'm so much more careful now with where I step and in not going too fast. I've learned a lot because of the injury. My ankle is holding up ok so far. Hopefully I will be able to complete the longer runs. I have my eye on an 8k in October. It is too soon to commit yet though.

• Like 5

Week 6 day 3 done, sort of.

Wednesday night we went to a family fun night. There was a relay obstacle course race that my three big kids did. First up was ds(8). He outran everybody, then tagged ds(6), then ran WITH ds(6) to show him the way. When they got back he tagged dd10 and went with her too, still finishing nearly first. Then he challenged dh to the course and beat him. Then he challenged me and beat me. Then he ran part of it again just for fun.

There is a 5k in my town August 1st, so after his exploits I told him he might want to sign up. To see if he had the endurance i took him along today. He was overall faster than me, but needed more breaks. At first I had to stop with him, so I didn't run for 25 min in a row. When we got to a more familiar area for him I could give him a goal (like run to McDonald's and meet me there) he would sprint ahead and get his breaks while I was still jogging.

2 more weeks until the 5k, and we're both going to sign up. I'm sure he'll beat me, but I will finish it too!

• Like 6

Week 6 day 3 done, sort of.

Wednesday night we went to a family fun night. There was a relay obstacle course race that my three big kids did. First up was ds(8). He outran everybody, then tagged ds(6), then ran WITH ds(6) to show him the way. When they got back he tagged dd10 and went with her too, still finishing nearly first. Then he challenged dh to the course and beat him. Then he challenged me and beat me. Then he ran part of it again just for fun.

There is a 5k in my town August 1st, so after his exploits I told him he might want to sign up. To see if he had the endurance i took him along today. He was overall faster than me, but needed more breaks. At first I had to stop with him, so I didn't run for 25 min in a row. When we got to a more familiar area for him I could give him a goal (like run to McDonald's and meet me there) he would sprint ahead and get his breaks while I was still jogging.

2 more weeks until the 5k, and we're both going to sign up. I'm sure he'll beat me, but I will finish it too!

Wow! I'm impressed. I'm looking into 5ks for the fall, but I'd never even think of trying that soon. Good for you!

• Like 3

Wow! I'm impressed. I'm looking into 5ks for the fall, but I'd never even think of trying that soon. Good for you!

I doubt I'll run the whole thing. :) It'll be my workout for that week, which I believe is a 28 minute jog. Finishing is the goal. But I am excited to give it a try. I haven't entered a race since elementary school.

• Like 5

I doubt I'll run the whole thing. :) It'll be my workout for that week, which I believe is a 28 minute jog. Finishing is the goal. But I am excited to give it a try. I haven't entered a race since elementary school.

How exciting!! We will be cheering you on!

• Like 3

Did another run tonight. Another repeat of a week 3 run. Went w/ dh; ds sat this one out since his foot & ankle are still hurting a lot from his twisting on the last run.

Struggled a lot with this one, maybe because of high humidity tonight?

• Like 5

I tried W6D3 yesterday but couldn't finish it. After 17 minutes my legs simply refused to run any further and I ended up walking the rest of the way home. I tried to start running again a couple of times but it just wasn't there. That was disappointing. I have some ideas what the problem was though. I run first thing in the morning and usually drink a glass of water first. I forgot the water yesterday and think that may have been part of the problem. Also, TOM is a few days away and my energy levels always tank in the days leading up. I'm not sure what that'll mean for W7 runs. I'm going to try for the 24 minutes(?) tomorrow and see what happens. I'll at least go as far as I can and try to build each day.

• Like 3