Menu

Name a retail establishment that wouldn't be terrible for employment

Hyacinth

I don't know - I think anywhere that doesn't actually offend you morally would be okay for a year.  I worked full time for Emporium department stores in California in its frantic dying days.  It was pretty bleak and depressing, but it was money and I was only there for about a year.

• Like 3

I'd personally pick a coffee shop or a yarn shop because I like coffee and yarn.  I find that people that come into those establishments are usually in a good mood because they're about to get their fix of yarn or coffee.   Why doesn't anyone own a coffee bar/yarn shop?  Brilliant!  It could double as a tapas/wine bar at night!  ;) 

What do you like?  What interests you?  That might be a start. 

• Like 10

The Gap used to be a good place to work, but I've heard lots of negatives about Old Navy (although affiliated with The Gap, they apparently have a different mgmt. and training style).  I have enjoyed other clothing retail in the past, especially department stores on the higher end. 

Some of the larger stores are easier because they wilhave a lot more flexibility with hours.   I worked Kmart for years in high school and college, and I was always able to walk in and tell them what hours I could work (that was a long time ago though).  I worked overnight stock crew at Sam's club about a decade ago.  Biggest advantage to that besides the hours was that I lost 40 pounds.   Dd worked for Target the past two years.  She's gotten decent pay but they cut hours periodically and that's a pain.

I would love to work at a bookstore for the discount but my entire paycheck would probably get spent in the store.

If I had to, I'd look for a small mom and pop establishment. The big boxes are pretty terrible to their employees.

You read my mind.

Possible problems with this, though: (1) Do you need to have insurance? Might not be available because size of company does not meet the required threshold.

(2) Do you need guaranteed vacation? Might not be built into the job. (relatd to #1)

(3) If you have to take time off, is there someone at the company trained/available/willing to cover for you?

(4) If a job opening is with a friend or relative, have a solid, resilient relationship already in place.

I'd personally pick a coffee shop or a yarn shop because I like coffee and yarn. I find that people that come into those establishments are usually in a good mood because they're about to get their fix of yarn or coffee. Why doesn't anyone own a coffee bar/yarn shop? Brilliant! It could double as a tapas/wine bar at night! ;)

What do you like? What interests you? That might be a start.

I glanced at this and -- truly! -- my first thought was of a coffee shop with tale-spinning counter staff. (i.e. always someone with a good yarn to tell)

• Like 5

Trader Joe's - everyone who works there that I've met is happy.

Ikea - I have known people who worked there - they say it's a good place to be.

Costco - Their employees rank highly on happiness and they pay well.

Jo-Ann's - I've heard good things and it's a very female-positive company.

Many grocery stores can be good as well - depends. I know where I'd avoid too - everyone says Target is horrible. Wal-Mart is infamously horrible. I've heard negative things about Bed, Bath and Beyond and Home Depot. I've worked briefly in clothing retail and it was the pits, but it probably depends on the place... Oh, and of course, Lululemon is a cult, so not there...

• Like 4

I'd personally pick a coffee shop or a yarn shop because I like coffee and yarn.  I find that people that come into those establishments are usually in a good mood because they're about to get their fix of yarn or coffee.   Why doesn't anyone own a coffee bar/yarn shop?  Brilliant!  It could double as a tapas/wine bar at night!  ;)

What do you like?  What interests you?  That might be a start. 

Too much spilling on the knitting materials!

• Like 2

You read my mind.

Possible problems with this, though: (1) Do you need to have insurance? Might not be available because size of company does not meet the required threshold.

(2) Do you need guaranteed vacation? Might not be built into the job. (relatd to #1)

(3) If you have to take time off, is there someone at the company trained/available/willing to cover for you?

Definitely think about these.

Also, there can be pay differences between small stores & big retail.  A lot of big retail is union with a set pay scale.  Small businesses could pay more or less, and they may not have a set salary increase schedule, which could be a good or a bad thing.  It all depends on the owner.

• Like 1

I'd pick something with an easy commute that was willing to work with my hours.

I'm not sure the actual place would matter quite as much to be honest, but I might ask current employees what they thought about working there.

When we were earlier in our marriage and I needed something to work, I picked a local grocery store that was open 24 hours so I could do the night shift 3 - 4 nights per week and avoid needing a sitter or day care.  It worked out quite well.  It was probably just a mile from the house we were renting, so I didn't spend much time or money commuting.

• Like 2

I'll second trader joe's. I had a close friend who worked there and loved it. Great people to work with, great benefits, and a lot of understanding with life's complications. My friend is diabetic and her boss had no problem with the occasional issues she had from it.

• Like 1

Hahaha...yeah I probably couldn't get hired.  I'm not that chipper.

Maybe the DMV would take me. 

I actually think I would like working at the DMV.  Being among downers doesn't affect me; in fact, sometimes it makes me nicer.  I think that's because downers are usually quiet....Maybe that's the problem.  If Trader Joe's employees could be happy but keep it to themselves, that would be awesome.

I have considered working for trader joes. I have spoken with their employees and they are all very happy at my local store.

Depends on how you feel about loudly breaking out into song at random moments. It seems to be a job requirement at the one near me. Not that I mind hearing it :)

• Like 1

I worked at Target years ago. I enjoyed it. Red & Khaki are my colors :)

I worked at Target right after dh and I got married, before I foun a "real" job, and I loved it! If I needed to get a part-time job now, that would be the first place I'd go.

On the other hand, I worked at Kohl's in college, and it was a horrible experience. I would never work there again.

A small franchise within a bigger chain, like Hallmark, can also be a fun place to work, depending on the local ownership.

• Like 1

I actually think I would like working at the DMV.  Being among downers doesn't affect me; in fact, sometimes it makes me nicer.  I think that's because downers are usually quiet....Maybe that's the problem.  If Trader Joe's employees could be happy but keep it to themselves, that would be awesome.

I don't mind chipper if it feels genuine.  Really I'm happy with someone doing their job and being real.  No need to pretend I'm your BFF.

This case and the articles that came out around it are why I wouldn't want to work at Target.

http://www.businessinsider.com/target-workers-claim-walk-of-shame-is-widespread-2015-2

But really, even for a large chain, I'm sure that there are exceptions. Surely there's a Trader Joe's out there that's miserable with a jerk manager and a Target or two where everyone's super nice. So I think I'd poke around locally.

• Like 1

I don't know - I think anywhere that doesn't actually offend you morally would be okay for a year.  I worked full time for Emporium department stores in California in its frantic dying days.  It was pretty bleak and depressing, but it was money and I was only there for about a year.

Oh, I remember Emporium in California in the 70's!

• Like 2

Trader Joe's or Costco. Have you noticed that they don't have much employee turnover? You see familiar people all the time. I've heard good things about both. I'm probably not extroverted enough for Trader Joe's--it seems you have to be kind of chatty.

• Like 3

This case and the articles that came out around it are why I wouldn't want to work at Target.

http://www.businessinsider.com/target-workers-claim-walk-of-shame-is-widespread-2015-2

But really, even for a large chain, I'm sure that there are exceptions. Surely there's a Trader Joe's out there that's miserable with a jerk manager and a Target or two where everyone's super nice. So I think I'd poke around locally.

Yikes! I never experienced anything like this. :/

• Like 1

I would pick a place that pays an hourly wage plus an additional commission on sales. If it is a busy store, you will make more money if you are earning commission on top of the hourly wage.

Additionally, I think you should try to find a place that is close to home if you can, and to look for a store that is open for relatively short hours unless you want to be stuck working late at night and all weekend.

Yikes! I never experienced anything like this. :/

I live near Target headquarters and have known lots of people who've worked at Target over the years.  Both in retail and at headquarters.  Most people I know have really liked working there.

I don't doubt these incident happened at all.  But I question how widespread it actually is.  There are probably like in the range of  40 Target stores in the Twin Cities metro alone. 

• Like 2

You might consider what you want to put into it.  For example, are you really the sale's type?  Or would you prefer to just git er done?  Maybe you have a particular thing you enjoy like kitchen goods or sporting goods.  I've always thought I wouldn't mind working in a fancy kitchen shop in a mall.  Except I'd always feel like I was ripping people off because they can buy the stuff literally ANYWHERE else for less money.  LOL

See I'm too honest for sales. 

• Like 1

I'd like to work in a good teacher's store--not Lakeshore, because I don't like all the plastic crap, but somewhere like that.

I'd go for a pet store (food, not pets) and grooming place, too--I love our store, and the customer service is quite friendly, plus you get to see dogs all the time coming in for a walk around with their owners. :D

I'd like to work in a good teacher's store--not Lakeshore, because I don't like all the plastic crap, but somewhere like that.

I'd go for a pet store (food, not pets) and grooming place, too--I love our store, and the customer service is quite friendly, plus you get to see dogs all the time coming in for a walk around with their owners. :D

Oh!  A pet store would be fun.  I could go up to someone and ask them, "So, do you want to buy a snake?"

Where else could I do that?!

• Like 5