Menu

Charity to sponsor a child's education?

Kathryn

We watched the documentary "On the Way to School" yesterday on Netflix and my children are interested in finding out if they can help sponsor a "third-world" child's educational goals. We don't have a lot of room in the budget, but I'd love to be able to honor this request. Does anyone know of a good/reputable charity that does this?

Three of my kids just came back from a mission trip and are each on their own sponsoring a child through Mission of Hope Haiti.

They came back with eyes opened to so much, but one of the things was that most kids don't get to go to school b/c they have to pay for it. I think it's $35/month. 

Our family sponsors a child through Compassion International which has been at this for years all over the world. 

I sponsor 3 children from the same village through World Vision.  My kids love that we do this and have given up frivolous things here in order for us to afford it.  They want me to sponsor more.  For example, a dinner out of cheap fast food for my family costs more than sponsoring a child through this organization.  SO we eat out less often.  I can easily blow a bunch of money going intot eh dollar store (we don't have a local one so when I go to town I stop there), buying less crap for us means being able to give more for others.  Win-win.  My kids have really embraced the idea that they are unbelievably wealthy compared to most of the world (compared to where we live we are considered quite poor, so they really had to change their thinking).  I pay $117 a month for my 3 sponsor children, and that money goes to help their whole village have clean water, sends all 3 to school. helps pay for vaccinations, bed nets, prenatal care for pregnant mothers in the village etc.  

At work I get the kids doing things like collecting pop bottles and then we use the money through Plan Canada to do things like buy farm animals for a family etc.  The kids love working towards these things (we mostly do local community service but I try to encourage international as well), and feel like they really helped someone because they had to gather those pop bottles etc

• Like 3

I second world vision because they work on the entire village teaching them to farm, how to get clean water and starting schools until the village is self sustained. Then they move on to another. You can donate straight to the schools if you want.

• Like 1

We sponsor through Compassion International.  They are a Christian organization.

A friend visited their headquarters and was very happy with the simplicity.  Some of the aid organizations build monuments to themselves and so little go to the children.  Not so with Compassion.  We get letters from our child.