Menu

Apologia or DIVE, I can't decide

If i go with DIVE, I'll be using BJU texts. If I go with Apologia, I'll be using their notebooks. I don't want to do use Apologia with DIVE.

I think Apologia may be more enjoyable than DIVE. I think DIVE may be too intense and suck the love of science right out of them. I think Apologia may be easier for them and fit our schedule better. I am concerned that it may not be enough. My son is robotics/engineer minded. My daughter will likely enter some form of animal studies. DIVE looks interesting to me, but reviews say it's dry.

I have no idea whice to use. I use HOD, but, I dot think their science is enough. I'm pretty sure I want wither Apologia or DIVE and I can't make the choice.

Watch the sample videos for DIVE on the website. If your kids hate them, don't use it. If they like them, go with it. 

DIVE is not hard or overly complex. It is a solid on-level science program. It is easier than BJU and works well with BJU texts. It will only suck the joy out of science if your kids find the videos torture. One of my kids hated it and abandon it after 1 semester (or less). My next one liked it, found it useful and used it for 3 years.

We haven't used Apologia yet, will use it this coming year, but I talked to a mom this past year who was using it with their daughter.  They felt Apologia was a very good college prep course.  This mom has a minor in science and husband is a vet so they are very familiar with college science courses.  Mom said she was seeing things in Apologia that she didn't see until she was in college. I realize that there are other courses out there that go more in-depth on some topics, but Apologia is a good solid course according to this mom.  As pp mentioned see which your children prefer, some really dislike one and love the other.  Just too many choices  :confused1:

HTH

Blessings,

Pat 

Thanks! I think I still like DIVE best and they like Apologia. My oldest wants no video and my 2nd wants a teacher to look at, not just a voice.

My dd didn't like the voice and no face either. She strongly prefers a face on videos. It still worked for her. Having used both (not together), I don't think Apologia is more enjoyable. The labs are much better with DIVE. However, if they really hate the videos it will be hard to make DIVE work.

Have you considered doing BJU with their videos? 

Oh my gosh. ..now they want DIVE. I'm going to cry. How do I choose? My hesitation with DIVE is, how do they cram 2 years of Apologia in 1 year of DIVE? Is DIVE over the top thorougo and insanely hard? Or does it just not cover everything? I hear DIVE is boring. But I hear it has better labs. Ahhh! How do I choose?