Menu

Xpost - Another Cogat Question

mohini

So we got our Cogat scores and, no surprise, my ds scored 99 percentile in Verbal and 74 in quantitative. I'd like to work on the quant. score. His math scores are in the 93-8th percentile for other standardized tests so I really think it's a matter of practicing the cogat format. What can we use for practice? Zaccaros ? SS intensive practice? What would be the best? Is there anything that has the same format as Cogat with the a/b/c columns?

He wants to try for talent search in Jan. Would he qualify on verbal score alone? Any suggestions for practice? (wouldn't mind practicing the non-verbal as well.) He's starting grade 4.

Thanks

He wants to try for talent search in Jan. Would he qualify on verbal score alone?

I went the parent recommendation route for CTY JHU and Duke TIP.  No scores required and no questions asked :)   I just checked CTD NUMATS paper registration form and there is a parent recommendation option as well, so no test scores required.

My DS9 was in 2nd grade and had no test scores of any kind at all when we applied for talent search.  DS10 had only his state tests results but it wasn't required.

I went the parent recommendation route for CTY JHU and Duke TIP.  No scores required and no questions asked  :)   I just checked CTD NUMATS paper registration form and there is a parent recommendation option as well, so no test scores required.

My DS9 was in 2nd grade and had no test scores of any kind at all when we applied for talent search.  DS10 had only his state tests results but it wasn't required.

Interesting. Did you submit a portfolio?

(Also no, he didn't finish all the questions. We'll work on speed - good point.)

I just posted about the COGAT recently; my DS had very extreme scores. Because I don't need the CoGat for anything, I decided to do nothing about it. Not sure how to raise nonverbal score for an 11 year old and what the point of it would be. Now on the achievement test side, he does much much better than his "abilities" would indicate, so I guess abilities don't matter in this case?

As far as I know, there's not a portfolio option for any program but Davidson Young Scholars, and even that has been moved to supplemental recently.  Talent search bars are fairly low to take out of level tests, and then you have to have a required out of level score specific to the program you want to do. We went first through Belin-Blank, which requires a 95% grade level score for grades K-3 (and you do need to send in a copy of the test report), but, at 4th grade when the EXPLORE picks up just requires that you tick a box that your child has scored over 95% on a grade level test or has demonstrated similar aptitude on class work-because the EXPLORE is what counts. Score of X, you can do Y.  I like BB because they don't charge a registration fee and then a test fee, only a test fee (and, if you're in an area that doesn't offer the EXPLORE, will work with you to arrange testing with a local proctor.). Those Iowa folks are just plain easy to work with IME, especially compared with CTY and TIPS.

Also, in my experience, once you have an EXPLORE score, you can apply anywhere using that score that uses the EXPLORE, even if you tested through a different program. So even though we went through BB, we can use DD's scores for NUMATS or TIPS without trouble if they have a class DD wants to do. The only exception is CTY that we've found.

• Like 1