Menu

Dear people who live in fancy tiny houses

sassenach

What about sexy time, huh? There is no f’ing way your kids aren’t hearing that sht. If you’re boinking four feet from your offspring, they might grow up to hate tiny things and end up building a McMansion with ten empty bedrooms just to spite you. Each bedroom will represent their years of lost innocence.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Warning- Lots of 4 letter words

https://medium.com/@Hipstercrite/dear-people-who-live-in-fancy-tiny-houses-21fdc639ce55

• Like 18

Yeah I would not go for that.  I know people in history...blah blah....Uh well there was also a time when people threw their shi* out the window into the street.  I'll take modern improvements thank you.

:iagree: :lol:   Goodbye bubonic plague!  Hello hygiene! 

I have no problem with people who chose to live this way.  On the contrary, I have great respect.  But I still find that blog post hilarious!  We try to keep our footprint small other ways.  It definitely would not be for us. 

• Like 7

"You look so freakin’ happy in that Dwell Magazine article or Buzzfeed post, but c’mon, you can’t tell me that you don’t lie awake at night, your face four inches from the ceiling because the only place your bed fits is above the kitchen sink which also acts as your shower, and think, I’ve made a terrible mistake."

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: 

That was hilarious.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 12

We lived 15 months in slightly less than 400 sqft with all six kids. There are ways to be discreet and quiet; you just have to be creative and take advantage of opportunities as they present.

Well I suppose there might be some allure in that.  It would be like trying to do stuff in your bedroom so your parents don't know.

LOL

• Like 2

My husband and I like the idea of a tiny house when the kids move out. But his shoulders wouldn't fit through the hallway. There is just no way it would happen. That article was hilarious, this video was pretty funny too. 

• Like 4

One room homes have been common throughout human history.

Just sayin'

Yes. I think that in previous generations, either the parents had to avoid boinking when not actively trying to conceive - not likely - OR the kids simply grew up with the concept that this was normal and natural.

I'm thinking about the shanty house pa built on the claim in Dakota territory. The only thing that separated the four girls from ma and pa was a sheet hung down the middle of the bedroom. Not exactly a lot of insulation there, LOL!

• Like 3

I guess I didn't get the joke because it's not like there's a load of people out there in reality trying to cram a huge family in a tiny home so the jokey part didn't make sense to me. Is there some family in the spotlight living like that and they're making fun of them or something? 

Goodbye bubonic plague! Hello hygiene!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to admit that I am completely addicted to the tiny house shows on TV, but I could never live in one. It might be cool to have one in the backyard to use as an art studio or something, though.

I love watching the couples who are no longer 25 years old when they walk into a tiny house and realize that they need to climb a ladder to get up to the "bedroom," which has a 3-foot ceiling height. I remember on one show, the wife thought it was cool and the dh said, "Sure it's cool for you. You don't have to get up to pee in the middle of the night." :D

• Like 3

I guess I didn't get the joke because it's not like there's a load of people out there in reality trying to cram a huge family in a tiny home so the jokey part didn't make sense to me. Is there some family in the spotlight living like that and they're making fun of them or something?

I think they are making fun of the "tiny house movement" where people are intentionally moving out of larger homes into teeny spaces. Have you watched any of the tiny house shows on TV?

I remember one episode of Tiny House Hunters where a family with three kids (I think it was 3,) were moving from a large, lovely home in CA to a tiny little dump in Rochester, NY. And it really was a dump. And TINY. I thought they were insane and the kids seemed like they thought it was a terrible idea -- and rightfully so.

All I could think when I watched that episode is that they must have been teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and were desperate to find a way to keep their heads above water. It didn't make any sense that they would do it, otherwise.

• Like 2

Too funny. My daughter actually lives in 300 square foot home that we built. She wanted her own place when entering college. We bought a prebuilt shed that we converted into a poolhouse/daughter's apt. It is perfect. It has a storage loft, bedroom loft, full bath, washroom with closet in same room, dining area, and living room. All of it is open concept with the bathroom and washroom/closet at the end. I could see myself living there easily if I was single or just married couple but once kids are out there it is too crowded.

• Like 11

Too funny. My daughter actually lives in 300 square foot home that we built. She wanted her own place when entering college. We bought a prebuilt shed that we converted into a poolhouse/daughter's apt. It is perfect. It has a storage loft, bedroom loft, full bath, washroom with closet in same room, dining area, and living room. All of it is open concept with the bathroom and washroom/closet at the end. I could see myself living there easily if I was single or just married couple but once kids are out there it is too crowded.

That is so cool! I would love to live in something like that by myself. But I don't think I could take even live in one with just dh.

I think they are making fun of the "tiny house movement" where people are intentionally moving out of larger homes into teeny spaces. Have you watched any of the tiny house shows on TV?

I remember one episode of Tiny House Hunters where a family with three kids (I think it was 3,) were moving from a large, lovely home in CA to a tiny little dump in Rochester, NY. And it really was a dump. And TINY. I thought they were insane and the kids seemed like they thought it was a terrible idea -- and rightfully so.

All I could think when I watched that episode is that they must have been teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and were desperate to find a way to keep their heads above water. It didn't make any sense that they would do it, otherwise.

I've never noticed any on those shows on TV here but I think that our houses in the UK  are so small anyway lots of people in small spaces is pretty normal.  I'm not sure it would catch on as a popular show.

Yep.  To each their own, but I can't help but think that some people jump onto an idea because it is a fad.  Which is fine.   There are worse reasons for doing things.  But they also sometimes take on a holier than thou attitude about their choices and think we should all join them.  And they often do not admit what it is REALLY like to go that route.  Or they go that route and they aren't as much of a martyr as they'd like you to think they are.  For example, the childless couple who moves into the totally "green" house and want us to all be impressed with how they are reducing their carbon foot print.  And oh yeah by the way, the house is 8000 square feet on 10 acres of land.  LOL  

• Like 3

I know a few people who have lived in small places with a family - one friend lived with a big family in Africa in a two room house for a while - one bedroom for the whole family.  There just wasn't really much privacy and it was pretty much obvious when people were doing the deed.

I've sometimes thought that all the pop culture stuff about having a fulfilling kinky sex life would seem completely foolish under those kinds of circumstances  - if you can have to get it done with 10 other people in the room you aren't going to be doing anything very exotic or that will intrude too much on everyone else.  It would be a different way of thinking about it - on the one hand it would all be out there in the open, but on the other it would also require more restraint and thought about others.

• Like 2

What about sexy time, huh? There is no f’ing way your kids aren’t hearing that sht. If you’re boinking four feet from your offspring, they might grow up to hate tiny things and end up building a McMansion with ten empty bedrooms just to spite you. Each bedroom will represent their years of lost innocence.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Warning- Lots of 4 letter words

https://medium.com/@Hipstercrite/dear-people-who-live-in-fancy-tiny-houses-21fdc639ce55

I saw this on facebook and thought it was hilarious!

My husband and I like the idea of a tiny house when the kids move out. But his shoulders wouldn't fit through the hallway. There is just no way it would happen. That article was hilarious, this video was pretty funny too. 

Oh, that poor tall guy! As soon as I saw him I knew there would be no way he could find it comfortable.

Dh and I have done extended camping time, both in a tent and in a camper. We know what it's like to be in a small space. And we think it belongs to camping, not everyday living. :)

• Like 2

We once lived in 1100 sq ft (4 of us). I know some people wouldn't think that was small, but we do have a lot of stuff, such as books. I didn't mind that. It was enough space to have some privacy, but I liked that it took me almost no time to clean the place from top to bottom.

I grew up in a 1200 sq.ft. house. Four people. 3 BR, 2 BA. I thught it a spacious size. It had to have been, considering how much stuff we had.

• Like 1

Yeah I would not go for that.  I know people in history...blah blah....Uh well there was also a time when people threw their shi* out the window into the street.  I'll take modern improvements thank you.

I did NOT know this, so now I feel like I've actually accomplished something today.

• Like 2

Live in a trailer that size and people feel sorry for you. But call it a tiny home and make it a bit taller and suddenly people make TV shows about you. Seriously, why is one cool and the other not so much? Is it just because "tiny houses" look cuter?

Except for building with wood and such, I don't get how they are that much different than an RV or a camper trailer. Imagine their horror when someone suggests they are a 'mobile' home.

I wonder if they can get loans for them or if most are purchased with cash. Conventional mobile homes are difficult to lend on.

And finding where to park them would be interesting...unless you have family land or something.

I think they are cute, but we've lived in a tiny apartment (4 people, 650 sq. ft) ...I like my house...

• Like 1

I grew up in a 1200 sq.ft. house. Four people. 3 BR, 2 BA. I thught it a spacious size. It had to have been, considering how much stuff we had.

Yeah the layout was very good.  The only reason we moved (and did not buy it when offered) was it had one bathroom on the second floor.  That was a deal breaker for me.  And there was really no conceivable way to remedy that.

Yeah the layout was very good. The only reason we moved (and did not buy it when offered) was it had one bathroom on the second floor. That was a deal breaker for me. And there was really no conceivable way to remedy that.

I wish you could post a photo! When I imagine a two-story house of that size, I envision a tall, slender rectangle. Agree with you about the impractical placement of the bathroom. Goodness!

• Like 1

This reminds me of what my life is turning into as we speak.  Moving across the country and my parents have kindly said we can live on their property while DH looks for a job.  They only asked that we get a camper to put on the property b/c their house won't suit us all.  We got a 36 ft, two-slide camper, kids bunk on one end, our room on the other.  But still............they better level that thing GOOD!  You all can laugh at my life here, real soon..... LOL

• Like 4

I wish you could post a photo! When I imagine a two-story house of that size, I envision a tall, slender rectangle. Agree with you about the impractical placement of the bathroom. Goodness!

No it was a bungalow.  The first floor had a kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom, sort of bonus room/entrance room and the second floor had 2 bedrooms and 1 full bath.  It was annoying.  Laundry was in the dungeon of a basement.  The basement would not have worked as a place for an extra bathroom either.  You might say use the bonus room, but we had our computers there.  Our bedrooms were too small to put much more than a bed and maybe a small night stand.

No it was a bungalow. The first floor had a kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom, sort of bonus room/entrance room and the second floor had 2 bedrooms and 1 full bath. It was annoying. Laundry was in the dungeon of a basement. The basement would not have worked as a place for an extra bathroom either. You might say use the bonus room, but we had our computers there. Our bedrooms were too small to put much more than a bed and maybe a small night stand.

This sounds almost like a good movie set!

One of our previous houses had the laundry hookups right in the main bathroom. I hated that.

My friend with a 1913 house has her laundry space in their "dungeon"' and they did add a half-bath down there. Maybe full, but I think it was a half.

• Like 1

This sounds almost like a good movie set!

One of our previous houses had the laundry hookups right in the main bathroom. I hated that.

My friend with a 1913 house has her laundry space in their "dungeon"' and they did add a half-bath down there. Maybe full, but I think it was a half.

I had an apartment with laundry hookup in the bathroom.  That I liked better than having it in the kitchen (like our apartment growing up).

I didn't even care if I just had one extra toilet.  It was just annoying to have to climb stairs to go to the bathroom.  Maybe I just go to the bathroom too much.  LOL

The ceiling was way too low in the basement to put any sort of room.  Even putting the washer down there was kinda pushing it, but still better than not having a washer. 

Otherwise I really liked that house.  We ended up buying our current house which is literally 2 houses over from that one. 

That was great! I flirted with the whole tiny house idea years ago. I was all for it, but my dh has zero desire to ever live in a tiny home with me or anyone else. Maybe by himself, but with me, nope. It is actually comical that I ever thought that was a viable option. I want the hours I spent on the internet researching and reading about tiny house back! 

I'd be interested in it except for one thing (other than the five kids thing): mine and DH's hobbies take up space! Yarn, wood, metal, art stuff, guitars, books, games, you name it. We have very strong DIY genes and are always creating something. We gave birth to children who are the same way, so there's always a project in progress somewhere.

Other than that, less to clean, yes, please.

My laundry is my MY BEDROOM. Not the HGTV experience we all dream of. It's awesome when a child forgets to have me clean a uniform early in the week and I get to go to sleep to the sweet sounds of the spin cycle. On the upside, it's the perfect noise camouflage for teA.

• Like 1

Live in a trailer that size and people feel sorry for you. But call it a tiny home and make it a bit taller and suddenly people make TV shows about you. Seriously, why is one cool and the other not so much? Is it just because "tiny houses" look cuter?

I have wondered the same thing.

I love it when people are building their tiny houses and making a big fuss about how they will be able to tow it around instead of having it always be in one place like a regular house, and I keep thinking it would be so much less work to just buy a trailer or an RV, which are both probably better constructed and more nicely appointed.

So many of the cute little tiny houses have a lot of open shelving and furniture and accessories that are not attached to the structure, so it's not like moving those houses would be a quick and easy thing to do. Everything would have to be either packed up or secured, or it would be a complete disaster area in the house when it finally arrived at its destination -- even if that destination was only a few miles away. One curve or bump in the road would be enough to send everything flying.

• Like 3

I want to put a teeny camper out back just for me. A retreat. I got the same trailer reaction. If I called it a "She shed" or "man cave" then it would be fine? It's all in the advertising I guess :) When my grandparents raised 12 kids in a 4 room house it was called the depression not environmentally low impact :p

• Like 2