Menu

Chemistry in the style of The Way Life Works

Bloomfield has a highschool level physics book that could work. Physics of Everyday Life or something like that.

I don't know of a chemistry one. The CK12 ebook one has videos and such linked into it, but it reads like a normal textbook.

• Like 1

Oh! Maybe try out Chemistry in the Community by the ACS. It was written for highschool kids who aren't on a STEM track. I was planning to use parts of it for my STEM-heavy 7th grader. There are lots of illustrations and experiments.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ~

My DD started out using Chemistry: Concepts and Problems: A Self-Teaching Guide by Houk, but it just didn't click. So we switched to  The Extraordinary Chemistry of Ordinary Things, Fourth Edition (Thank you Moria in Maine!), along with Fascinating Chemistry (http://fascinatingeducation.com/fascinating-chemistry-2/ ), and Landry Academy labs. In addition, we are supplementing with Chemistry 101, Culinary Reactions: The Everyday Chemistry of Cooking,  Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy, and science encyclopedias,  This new combination is really working and we will continue with a spine, Fascinating Biology, Biology 101,  supplementary reading and labs at home next year.

Hope this helps,

Dina

• Like 3