Menu

Epi-pen price?

wapiti

I have wondered about that but I'm still not sure I'd be comfortable using it.  An epi-pen is always an emergency, right?   I will often take and give expired meds, but I am not so sure about life-saving ones.   So, we throw ours away according to date.  And yeah, it kills me when we haven't hit our deductible yet and have to replace it.  But, it gets us that much closer to it.  We've already hit ours this year, thanks to allergy tests, extracts and injections for two kids (among all our other things).

(I'm not disagreeing with you, btw.) 

My daughter really wants the Auvi-Q 'cause it's smaller; she prefers to carry a small purse.  When her current pens expire we'll check it out.

Oh, I didn't phrase my post well. Yes, I meant my son keeps clear-window expired ones as a backup to the non-expired epi-pens, not "for an emergency." Thanks!

And he loves the Auvi-Q's. He can put one in his breast pocket when he's traveling light.

Oh, this is brilliant if it's really possible to buy from Canada.  Our cost savings would literally pay for a vacation there.  Might have to look into what kind of hoops are required to order online from a Canadian pharmacy.   Has anyone ever done that?

Not epi-pens, but my daughter orders a medicine from Canada bc it would be $600+ for a 30-day supply here. With insurance. I think she pays around $200 for 100 pills from Canada. The doctor who told her about ordering from Canada said to make sure she checked to see where the medicine was manufactured; if it came from India (maybe anywhere in Asia?) to not order it because there are often fillers used in those pills. 

• Like 1

I just got a shock at Walgreens, where the price is now over $450 for the twin pack (I usually get two twin packs, one for school and one for home, so the lady was quoting a price over $900).  Where do you buy your Epi-pens?

Canadadrugs.com!

They come from England, and look identical except in the fine print along the edge they identify the emergency # as 999 instead of 911. ;)

• 10 months later...

$138 for a 2-pack of the Adrenaclick generic version at Walmart with GoodRX.com discount card (anyone can print one online).  Some info online says Adrenaclick is better than Epipen because it is way less bulky and therefore you are more likely to carry it.  But it works a little differently, so be sure to retrain yourself and family members.  Don't know if you could combine the discount card and the $100 off card available from Adrenaclick (or whether that works with the generic, or whether Walmart would honor the $138 on the branded version).  I believe the generic is made by Adrenaclick maker.

$148 for 2-pack of genuine Epipens at PlanetDrugsDirect.com  (a Canadian online pharmacy) and it says they will be shipped direct from UK.  Shipping is included.  Buying prescription drugs abroad is technically illegal but FDA and customs service say they have decided not to enforce this law for small quantities imported for personal use.  They also sell singles for $83.   Question I would have about buying online is whether you will get a reasonably fresh one, with lots of time left before expiration.  

www.planetdrugsdirect.com

Edited by jim of boating fame

I'm wondering if anyone knows when the patent expires?  I always thought medical patents were 15 years, with the possibility for a limited extension.    Seems like the Epi-pen should be nearing the end of it's protected status. 

The medicine has a generic and there are generic devices on the market.  They are just not as widely known because they use a different dispensing mechanism.

EPI pens are brand only, not due to the medicine inside, but due to the device itself.

• Like 1

I don't want to do Canada, legal or not, because expiration dates matter so much for epi pens.

However, I'm definitely checking out that generic. We need to buy a new set this month, and I've been dreading it. I didn't know I had options.

The epipen I ordered from Canada Pharmacy had an expiration date of a year from the date sent. I asked C's allergist about the generic epinephrine injector, but he doesn't prescribe it because epipens are the standard injector that everyone knows how to use. His concern is that in an emergency, an unfamiliar injector could cause a fatal delay in epinephrine administration. 

• Like 1

The medicine has a generic and there are generic devices on the market.  They are just not as widely known because they use a different dispensing mechanism.

EPI pens are brand only, not due to the medicine inside, but due to the device itself.

Thanks for the info.  I thought the only generic was pulled from the market last year. 

The epipen I ordered from Canada Pharmacy had an expiration date of a year from the date sent. I asked C's allergist about the generic epinephrine injector, but he doesn't prescribe it because epipens are the standard injector that everyone knows how to use. His concern is that in an emergency, an unfamiliar injector could cause a fatal delay in epinephrine administration.

Our Doctor volunteered to show us how to inject generic, but we decided to stick with epi-pen for reasons you stated.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread saved me $400.

We have high deductible insurance, so epi pens are out of pocket for us.

The cheapest I could find was almost $600.

After reading here, I found Walgreens had a generic Adrenaclick. If I ran it through insurance, my out of pocket would be $400. That's better, but not fantastic.

But using a coupon the pharmacist gave me and paying without running it through our insurance brought the price down to $200.

I'm so happy.

FWIW, the script was written for epi pen, may substitute and they let me do the generic Adrenaclick. However, one pharmacist, from another pharmacy, told me we would need a script written for Adrenaclick, not epi pen. I was glad I didn't have to call the allergist and ask to switch scripts. I guess, for all I know, Walgreens called themselves though. Just mentioning because that may be a snag in some places. Also, this pen is very similar to epi pens. It just doesn't automatically retract the needle after use. You have to cap it for disposal.

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

This thread is from a year ago.  I'm just posting to update the Epipen (2-pack) price for this year, $614 at Walgreens.  I had the $100 off coupon (gee how generous of the manufacturer).  I didn't call around this time.

The pharmacist suggested mail-order through the insurance, said it's much cheaper, though I have no clue what's involved there.

Epi-pen is still running its $0 co-pay coupon.  Their business model seems to be to bill Rx insurance as much as they can, but to try to de-demonize themselves a bit, they run the $0 coupon.  Unfortunately, the uninsured, underinsured, and anyone else not fitting neatly into their model gets screwed.

Below is the link:

https://www.activatethecard.com/epipen/?_ga=1.68998353.1558290765.1471382841

FWIW, I just looked it up, and pre-filled syringes for use by EMTs, etc. are like $10.  I'm going to look into this for myself, as this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20527517 seems to support that things stay stable and sterile for at least 3 months which seems to make it a good option for home use in certain situations.

Epi-pen is still running its $0 co-pay coupon.  Their business model seems to be to bill Rx insurance as much as they can, but to try to de-demonize themselves a bit, they run the $0 coupon.  Unfortunately, the uninsured, underinsured, and anyone else not fitting neatly into their model gets screwed.

Below is the link:

https://www.activatethecard.com/epipen/?_ga=1.68998353.1558290765.1471382841

FWIW, I just looked it up, and pre-filled syringes for use by EMTs, etc. are like $10.  I'm going to look into this for myself, as this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20527517 seems to support that things stay stable and sterile for at least 3 months which seems to make it a good option for home use in certain situations.

That's the thing that only provides up to $100 savings. Not much help when the cost is $600 or more. Even when I had insurance I was expected to cover way more than $100.

Edited by Mergath